Which sounds more embarrassing. Diapers or nappies?

Which sounds more embarrassing. Diapers or nappies?

• Diapers

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Nappies

Votes: 44 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

matt1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
As much as I want to say diapers I say nappies just has moor of a babyish sound to it.

(Do you need your diaper change?)
(Do you need your nappies change?)

It makes me feel little.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, littledub1955, KittyninjaW and 5 others
probably Diapers, nappies are a more, how could I say, innocent name for diapers.

Reactions: Diprs2, littledub1955, FudgedInLuvs and 1 other person
Since I'm American diapers would be more embarrassing because that's what the majority identify and call them. Probably the same for nappy if I lived across the pond.

Reactions: Serendiapity, Diprs2, DBabygirl2 and 5 others
As I'm from the UK obviously I'd say nappy and nappies.
I've never heard anyone here refer to them as diapers.

Reactions: Deleted member 60371, Diprs2, 247 and 4 others
So very true. The terms are founded in the language of the County one grew-up in and lives.

To that end, there should have been two more options: Both or Neither!

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and littledub1955
Diapers because that’s what I grew up with. “Nappy” doesn’t do a single thing for me. Makes no sense to me why some countries call them that.

Reactions: SD79, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Nappy for me being from UK

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, 247 and 1 other person
They're both the exact same thing but a different cultural heritage. I don't think either would have any more of a negative connotation however.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
matt1989 said:
As much as I want to say diapers I say nappies just has moor of a babyish sound to it.

(Do you need your diaper change?)
(Do you need your nappies change?)

It makes me feel little.
Neither of them make me embarrassed. Reason I'm not embarrassed is I am happy to wear them everyone's different.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, littledub1955, Edgewater and 1 other person
Nappy

Reactions: Edgewater
Neither diaper or nappy are embarrassing. What would be embarrassing is a leaky diaper or nappy.

• Love
Reactions: SD79, Diprs2, littledub1955 and 3 others
Diapers 100% Nappes is an UK / English thing.

I'm American so I'm more exposed to "diaper". That said, "nappy" in a suitably UK accent still gives me goosebumps. I love them both!

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Dl123456
TheMat said:
Diapers because that’s what I grew up with. “Nappy” doesn’t do a single thing for me. Makes no sense to me why some countries call them that.
Why? Originally short for napkin. A folded cloth nappy could be compared to a table napkin I guess. A napkin is defined as a square piece of cloth.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and LaLoneDigi
Jorelaxed said:
probably Diapers, nappies are a more, how could I say, innocent name for diapers.
HaHa,
From the UK and the exact opposite, diapers being a word learnt during adulthood I’m relaxed about it’s use. Nappies on the other hand is a childhood trigger for me. OMG when my wife asks me something like “do you have your nappy on” it sends me to a different space. 🫢

Reactions: Boobarpapa, Diprs2, Pampers4Ever and 2 others
Diapers mostly ! But I do get in the habit every so often calling my nappies !
Both are fine with me !!

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and toddler
I never grew up around the word nappie. So it has a bit of internet context surrounding it for me. Diaper has to be the one.

starpointrune said:
Why? Originally short for napkin. A folded cloth nappy could be compared to a table napkin I guess. A napkin is defined as a square piece of cloth.
That makes sense. I guess it’s like if some people were having a super vulgar conversation next to me but they’re speaking a foreign language so it doesn’t effect me the way it would if they were speaking my language.

Reactions: Edgewater and star
I call them diapers and not embarrassed about it and not embarrassed about having to buy and wear them.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and littledub1955
“Depends” on where you are from and pet names for them. My wife refers to them as Pampa-Roos. Ear’s definitely perk up when I hear the word “diaper”

• Haha
Back