Which hand do you primarily use?

Weatheronthe8s

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I know this is about the most random question, but what hand do you primarily use? I will say that I am left handed for nearly everything. The only exception is for using a computer mouse, which I use right handed mainly because I never knew you could use a mouse left handed. Coincidentally though, I know someone who writes with his right hand, but uses a mouse with his left hand.

Reactions: MeDisneyBaby and Adrian697DL
I'm left handed, but the only two things I primarily use it for are writing and holding chopsticks. Everything else I learned to use with my right hand simply cause that's how they were shown to me.

A good example is the Wii remote + nunchuk combo. Every ad I saw of the Wii had the remote on their right hand and nunchuk on the left, so I just learned to hold them that way without knowing you could switch them around!

Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
right handed

Right handed, but having said that, I found myself somewhat ambidextrous after a college summer job years ago. I was testing computer cards for Honeywell and all the test equipment was designed for left-handers. I never wrote with that hand, but recall using it interchangeably with my right for most anything else until the "skill" eventually faded.

ShyBoo81 said:
I'm left handed, but the only two things I primarily use it for are writing and holding chopsticks. Everything else I learned to use with my right hand simply cause that's how they were shown to me.

A good example is the Wii remote + nunchuk combo. Every ad I saw of the Wii had the remote on their right hand and nunchuk on the left, so I just learned to hold them that way without knowing you could switch them around!
That’s interesting. I actually do use the nunchuck and Wiimote backwards from the intended method as it always felt more natural to use it left handed. It works fine for most games. Albeit it doesn’t for some.

Reactions: ShyBoo81
Weatheronthe8s said:
That’s interesting. I actually do use the nunchuck and Wiimote backwards from the intended method as it always felt more natural to use it left handed. It works fine for most games. Albeit it doesn’t for some.
As a side note to this, I’m just glad the Wiimote is about the most ambidextrous controller ever made since I do use it left handed. It works great left handed for games like Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports, but many 3rd party games didn’t consider that I’m left handed, plus Wii Music. It just feels awkward to hold the right handed way.

Weatheronthe8s said:
As a side note to this, I’m just glad the Wiimote is about the most ambidextrous controller ever made since I do use it left handed. It works great left handed for games like Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports, but many 3rd party games didn’t consider that I’m left handed, plus Wii Music. It just feels awkward to hold the right handed way.
I couldn't hold the Wiimote left handed despite it being the most ambidextrous controller. Too many ads and other gamers influenced me to use it right handed. Heck, if I were to learn how to shoot a gun IRL I'd probably hold it on my right just cause every FPS I played has it on the right.

Yeah this right handed world we live in does not cater to us lefties lol 😂

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Weatheronthe8s
ShyBoo81 said:
I couldn't hold the Wiimote left handed despite it being the most ambidextrous controller. Too many ads and other gamers influenced me to use it right handed. Heck, if I were to learn how to shoot a gun IRL I'd probably hold it on my right just cause every FPS I played has it on the right.

Yeah this right handed world we live in does not cater to us lefties lol 😂
Yeah. Sadly. It’s all confusing. The only thing I am really capable of right handed though is a mouse and even that is not the greatest. I simply have very little coordination in my right hand. But my coordination isn’t very good in general.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and ShyBoo81
Here's a weird one: I kick left, my left eye & ear are dominant...but am right-handed. When I sit and think about it, I was never coerced or forced into using my right hand, ever. I saw and knew some kids who were forced into it, though, and that is a very wrong thing for an adult or anyone to do to a kid.

In the last decade, I read of a public schoolteacher who got in trouble for forcing a student to write right-handed when they were clearly left. The student fought it, the teacher fought back, then the parents learned about it and demanded an immediate school faculty audience with their attorney present. In the conference, the attorney successfully broke the teacher down: the teacher, being religious, declared that being left-handed was a sign of Satanic involvement and that it must be stopped. All the adults present were aghast; the teacher was dismissed and this matter remained on her permanent record.

Why do people think that way? Lots of religions, from deep recesses of Christianity & other religions, to orthodox Islam assert that being lefty in anything is "unclean"; in Islam, for example, all "clean" tasks are for the right hand and all "unclean" tasks are relegated to the left, such as toileting. Pretty narrow thinking, really...

But one part of the superstition in our culture is the words "right" and "left", largely in medical or optometry: right is referred to as "dexter" (as in "dexterity") and left is referred to as "sinister" (and we all know how that word is commonly used). Now you see what's going on from that angle.

In the end, it's all fear and superstition. There's nothing at all wrong with being lefty...just wish that kind of thinking that says it's wrong was eliminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShyBoo81 and Weatheronthe8s
BobbiSueEllen said:
Here's a weird one: I kick left, my left eye & ear are dominant...but am right-handed. When I sit and think about it, I was never coerced or forced into using my right hand, ever. I saw and knew some kids who were forced into it, though, and that is a very wrong thing for an adult or anyone to do to a kid.

In the last decade, I read of a public schoolteacher who got in trouble for forcing a student to write right-handed when they were clearly left. The student fought it, the teacher fought back, then the parents learned about it and demanded an immediate school faculty audience with their attorney present. In the conference, the attorney successfully broke the teacher down: the teacher, being religious, declared that being left-handed was a sign of Satanic involvement and that it must be stopped. All the adults present were aghast; the teacher was dismissed and this matter remained on her permanent record.

Why do people think that way? Lots of religions, from deep recesses of Christianity & other religions, to orthodox Islam assert that being lefty in anything is "unclean"; in Islam, for example, all "clean" tasks are for the right hand and all "unclean" tasks are relegated to the left, such as toileting. Pretty narrow thinking, really...

But one part of the superstition in our culture is the words "right" and "left", largely in medical or optometry: right is rererred to as "dexter" (as in "dexterity") and left is referred to as "sinister" (and we all know how that word is commonly used). Now you see what's going on from that angle.

In the end, it's all fear and superstition. There's nothing at all wrong with being lefty...just wish that kind of thinking that says it's wrong was eliminated.
Yeah. I do find it all weird how left handedness has always been looked at in a negative way. There is nothing wrong with it. It honestly makes me sad that this kind of stuff still happens today. That is very interesting though. You may be somewhat cross dominant with different parts of your body.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I'm ambidextrious but write and eat right handed. My left eye was the dominent
eye but now blind in it so can no shoot a gun.

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Weatheronthe8s
oleman72 said:
I'm ambidextrious but write and eat right handed. My left eye was the dominent
eye but now blind in it so can no shoot a gun.
Yeah. That is certainly interesting.

That depends upon what I'm doing. I throw left handed and bowl left handed. But, I discovered something really odd when I got a Chuck It toy for playing with our dog. I use it with my right hand even though it uses a motion similar to a throwing motion. I golf right handed. I kick with my left foot. If I kicked with my right foot, I'd look like Charley Brown after Lucy pulls the football away and he ends up on the ground. I write right handed. I eat right handed and would probably put a fork up my nose if I tried eating left handed. However, I hold a glass with my left hand to drink and would probably spill its contents all over me drinking right handed. I wear my watch on my right wrist as I don't think I could actually put it on my left wrist using my right hand. I also use my left hand for....use your imagination on this one. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: oleman72, Paddy2020, Weatheronthe8s and 1 other person
Peesalot said:
That depends upon what I'm doing. I throw left handed and bowl left handed. But, I discovered something really odd when I got a Chuck It toy for playing with our dog. I use it with my right hand even though it uses a motion similar to a throwing motion. I golf right handed. I kick with my left foot. If I kicked with my right foot, I'd look like Charley Brown after Lucy pulls the football away and he ends up on the ground. I write right handed. I eat right handed and would probably put a fork up my nose if I tried eating left handed. However, I hold a glass with my left hand to drink and would probably spill its contents all over me drinking right handed. I wear my watch on my right wrist as I don't think I could actually put it on my left wrist using my right hand. I also use my left hand for....use your imagination on this one. :ROFLMAO:
That is a very interesting combination of ways to do things.

Reactions: littledub1955 and BobbiSueEllen
Right handed. Everything I do is right handed. Tried to write left handed once. It looked like chicken scratches.

• Haha
Reactions: CherryMiku, pampers47, littledub1955 and 1 other person
Paddy2020 said:
Right handed. Everything I do is right handed. Tried to write left handed once. It looked like chicken scratches.
Very interesting. That's how my right handed writing is.

Reactions: Paddy2020 and BobbiSueEllen
Weatheronthe8s said:
That is a very interesting combination of ways to do things.
More interesting is I learned how to write (cursive) upside down and backwards. At one time I was pretty decent with it; but, I haven't done that in 40 years or so and doubt I could do it at all any longer. It takes a lot of practice.

Reactions: littledub1955, Weatheronthe8s and BobbiSueEllen
Wow. That's really impressive. I can write upside down and backwards, but only in print. It's actually kinda fun.

Reactions: littledub1955 and BobbiSueEllen
Weatheronthe8s said:
Wow. That's really impressive. I can write upside down and backwards, but only in print. It's actually kinda fun.
When I was in Cub Scouts, we had a magician at a meeting. I KNEW he had hidden compartments in the cereal box that he kept pulling the silk handkerchiefs out of. He gave me the box to literally tear apart to find the hidden compartments. When I found none, I asked for his autograph and upside down and backwards was how he signed. Naturally, as a roughly 10 year old I was impressed and learned to do that myself. From there I started writing short sentences that way. No way I could write paragraphs like that. My mind works in strange ways; but, not that strange. :ROFLMAO:

Peesalot said:
When I was in Cub Scouts, we had a magician at a meeting. I KNEW he had hidden compartments in the cereal box that he kept pulling the silk handkerchiefs out of. He gave me the box to literally tear apart to find the hidden compartments. When I found none, I asked for his autograph and upside down and backwards was how he signed. Naturally, as a roughly 10 year old I was impressed and learned to do that myself. From there I started writing short sentences that way. No way I could write paragraphs like that. My mind works in strange ways; but, not that strange. :ROFLMAO:
That's pretty neat. I pretty much learned out of boredom. It actually comes in handy sometimes. Signing my name backwards would be a chore though.

• Haha
Reactions: Peesalot
Back