• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Which one do you believe in, and why?

Personally, I believe that its people who kill people. A gun doesn't just get up and say "Hm, I really hate that guy, I think I'm going to shoot him!" No, something has to be there to pull the trigger at a target.

I say "at a target" because guns CAN accidentally discharge, but they don't accidentally discharge at your enemies (or not normally, any ways).

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
People kill people. If it was guns that killed people, then there wouldn't have been killing before guns. Unless of course you also have slogans like 'knives kill people' and so on all the way back to 'fists kill people'. And the thing about fists are they are actually part of the people. A gun is just the method of doing something that has been happening throughout the bloody history of the human race.

A gun does make it easier to kill of course. People who wouldn't kill before might if they had a gun, because they now feel able to do it. The easier it is to do something the more likely that someone is to do it. And remember, the more training someone receives with a gun, the more knowledge they have of what it can do, the less likely they are to use it. A special forces solider would never shoot somebody unless they had to, and their job involves killing people.

So a person does the killing, but without the gun they might not have killed in the first place.

***​

For people interested in the idea of whether people or guns actually do the killing - read "Men at Arms" by Terry Pratchett. Not only is it a very funny book, but it also has a serious and interesting point of view on this subject.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I put guns kill people. We are always responsible for our actions. However, when you compare the murder rate of Canada with that of the United States it does make you wonder. It is a lot easier to lose your temper and kill someone with a gun than it is with a knife, baseball bat or fists. The fact that Canada has such tight gun laws probably reduces their murder rate. You can see it in other parts of the world as well. It's all in the statistics.

Right now my family is involved in a murder trial. We had very good friends who had a very bad end to their marriage. She eventually became quite afraid of him, and started keeping a diary, saying that if ever she was found dead, he did it. That day came two weeks before Christmas. He was big into guns, and his father is a retired State Trooper. I think guns make murder a lot easier.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Have you ever noticed how every time someone shoots somebody else, the gun is "unloaded"?

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
"People kill people". A gun is an inanimate object that can not be fired without help.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
What I'll say is, "People using guns kill people."

Of course guns are dangerous weapons -- this much is impossible to deny --, but guns are implements of destruction created by man ... which means, if we're going to jump on the fact that guns kill people, we have to remember that these guns were not bred naturally -- human hands put them together with human technology and infused in them a physical power which could feed the human urge to kill. So even if guns are used to kill people, their existence is inevitably traced to humans. Therefore, people kill people.

I know I've stated it before in another post, but working where I do, I see criminal cases involving assault, abuse, violence, and murder. If I took a statistic analysis of the cases that I intake on a daily basis, I think you all would be immensely surprised at the low amount of them that guns are involved in. These are not petty crimes, either. Yet, that they are still done even with the absence of guns makes me question ... are guns required for people to commit crime? No.

I will admit, even as a gun-owner, that of course, guns make it easier and more efficient to harm someone. It's always been easy for somenoe to kill another using guns.

We also need to look at the context in which the guns are placed. Our modern society adheres to different moral mindsets than those that existed ten, fifty, one-hundred, two-hundred years ago. Could our societal love-affair with come from our obsession with destruction and our collective immaturity as a people? Were people as obsessed with destruction in ages past? Were they as obsessed with self-destruction as ages in the past?

People kill people. Guns make it easier. People with guns kill people. But people also kill people with whatever they can get their hands on, whatever's easiest to find.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns defend people against people with smaller guns."

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
People kill people. Guns make it easier. People with guns kill people. But people also kill people with whatever they can get their hands on, whatever's easiest to find.
This is my stand on the issue as well. I was raised in the country, everyone has guns, you have never really been to a safe school until you go to the HS parking lot and ever Truck has a filled gun rack. We were raised to understand what a gun dose, what it is really for, and how to use it properly. I learned early on that I do not like hunting, though it is needed for population control in many areas... All of these things were taught to the children. In my area I think there have been 5 Homicides by gun in 20 years. Are there accidents yes though these are because someone did not pay attention, though we had more deaths in my school from farm equipment then any firearms.

This brings me back to the point that it peoples that kill people. Those are also the people that,
A. were not raised to see a gun as anything more then a fancy toy that makes a notice and gets you what you want.

B. Those that would find a way to kill people no mater what. The only advantage to a gun is that you do not have to touch the person in question.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Which do you believe in? (gun slogans)
"People kill people"
"Guns kill people"
I think this is a bad poll, because it's obvious that people kill people. Even people who are against guns and are glad they are illegal can still say "People kill people", a gun is just an object people can use kill.
I can't see many people voting for "Guns kill people". If people do then it's reading the poll as a poll about gun control and whether it's right or not, with "guns kill people" as being for it.

So yeah, I think that it's a fact that people, not guns, kill people. It seems really obvious to me, but it doesn't mean that guns shouldn't be banned or anything like that.

I just don't understand this thread at all.

G

gamebaby

Yea guns realy dont kill people. only stupid people with guns.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

Sorry about that, really I am. This thread just reminded me of that song and I needed to post it to lance the boil of it running around in my head.

Anyway, I was going to post more or less what Charlie and Rance already have:

- It's a loaded and flawed question, one that I'm inclined to say shows something of a misunderstanding of the arguments of the anti-gun/pro control lobby.

- The actually answer is obviously more like 'guns provide people with an easier way to kill people.'

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
A gun is used for sports, hunting (prey/food), and the like. They're remarkable machines.

Until people take them and use them for a bad purpose. People kill people. A gun is a tool.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
"I didn't kill him the bullets and the fall killed him" Vincent- from the movie Collateral

Anyways I can agree that guns do make it a lot easier to kill people but it is still the person that's killing people. I have always known that guns are not toys and I don't really like to handle guns at all aside for BB gun rifles.

Role
Incontinent
It is unfortunate that people feel a need to kill using any means. It is unfortunate that guns are often the tool used to kill. Guns are by no means the only tool used and banning guns will not stop a person so inclined to actually commit a murder.

Baby Grizzy, there is actually no such thing as a “accidental discharge” resulting in a death. People become careless and make fatal mistakes around guns. If a person is doing something that could possible cause a “accidental discharge” then they are doing something wrong.

I have carried a loaded weapon of one kind or another for the past 30 years and I have never had an “accidental discharge” I treat every weapon as it is fully loaded and ready to fire. I have taught my children to do the same.

I am not by any means a gun nut but I do own several. I have two rifles, both for hunting, one for large game and another for small game. I have one shotgun and then I have three handguns. A Smith and Wesson model 686 (.357 magnum) a Glock model 21 (.45) and a Glock model 22 (.40) the handguns I have or do now carry at work. I do keep my handguns loaded at all times I also keep them locked up when I am not using one of them.

There was a time when I was very concerned that my children might come across a loaded weapon and hurt themselves or another. But as they grew a little older and I was able to teach them about the guns it did two things. First it gave them a healthy respect for what a gun could do and it taught them how to handle one in a safe manner. In doing those two things it also took away the curiosity that discovering a gun can bring with younger people. Today I wouldn’t be to concerned if my kids were say over at a friends home and found a gun. I know they would treat it right and there would be a very little chance of one of them getting hurt.

Dogboy, I am sorry to hear that your family is so close to such a tragic event. I don’t really believe you can say it was his close association to weapons or his fathers profession that caused him to act as he did. Having access to weapons will make it easier to kill but not having a gun will not necessarily prevent it either. A person set on killing another will do just that.

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
I am pretty liberal, but I believe in guns. I dont like the idea of hunting for fun though. But yes guns aren't bad, its just some of the people with them. People kill people.

If we got rid of all the guns, they would just be replaced with swords and knives, then what?

CiviChriSi

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Guns don't kill people. Small round projectiles that are forced out of the chamber at high velocity kills people.

Did anyone hear about Charlton Heston idea for a NRA rock band (before he died that is)??

GUNS & MOSES!!!

ok.. i know.. i know.. bad joke. but this was the only place I could use it. Believe me, I have a lot more corny jokes but I just wait until the right time to tell them! =) =) =P

D

daria7483

People kill people. Guns make it easier. I am a small person and not terribly coordinated and probably would not stand much of a chance if I opted to attack another adult with just my bare hands. But if I've got a gun and the other person doesn't, my job becomes a lot easier. This could be a bad thing if I'm furious and crazy and want to strike out at my boss who just denied me a promotion, or a good thing if the person I'm trying to kill has just broken into my house. On the latter one though, I still question how I'd have any advantage if an armed person broke into my house in the middle of the night or attacked me on the street and caught me by surprise.

But I agree this is a poorly worded poll because no matter how you feel about gun control you still have to admit that someone has to pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.