When you have the hiccups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleLando

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
When you have the hiccups, what do you do? What does your daddy or mommy do?

When I have the hiccups, I try to hold my breathe as long as I can or I try to drink some water. After my hiccups stop after a minute or two but I have no idea whether it is due to my methods or not.

I just let it happen, and hope it stops soon.

I take a drink of water while holding my breath. Works every time.

I will just usually drink some water and it always does the trick.

Ok so here it is y'all ... the magic trick. Next time you have hiccups,
Concentrate on your next hiccup and try to tell yourself when it is about to happen. If there's someone else there, plan to tell them. I promise you, you won't hiccup again. It's a magic little distraction that helps to relax that annoying thing going on inside.

Eat a spoon full of peanut butter, give it a try.

ozbub said:
Concentrate on your next hiccup and try to tell yourself when it is about to happen. If there's someone else there, plan to tell them. I promise you, you won't hiccup again. It's a magic little distraction that helps to relax that annoying thing going on inside.

Holy flipity flap! He said it! He actually said it! Someone outside the American south said, "y'all!" For some reason, that absolutely tickles me pink! I knew Ausies were rednecks with funny accents! Don't take it wrong, sugar foot, I actually only use it as a term of endearment. Lemme hug you're neck! :hug::hug::hug: My neck is naturally Crimson! Roll tide; roll, baby!

As for hiccup cures, let a spoonful of sugar melt in your mouth and swallow it. This assumes you're not so sweet as not to allow the sugar to melt in there. Okay, I'll shut my Alabama mouth now.

Last edited:
The hiccups? Sadly, the best I can hope for is that people will ignore me--as opposed to pointing and laughing.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Lemme hug you're neck! :hug::hug::hug: My neck is naturally Crimson!

Oh Jeez, I just about expelled a mouthful of Scotch into my keyboard! (It probably needs it more than I do, though.) Hmm. Maybe we need smilies that aren't just disembodied heads so that we can give proper virtual hugs here?

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Holy flipity flap! He said it! He actually said it! Someone outside the American south said, "y'all!" For some reason, that absolutely tickles me pink! I knew Ausies were rednecks with funny accents! Don't take it wrong, sugar foot, I actually only use it as a term of endearment. Lemme hug you're neck! :hug::hug::hug: My neck is naturally Crimson! Roll tide; roll, baby!

As for hiccup cures, let a spoonful of sugar melt in your mouth and swallow it. This assumes you're not so sweet as not to allow the sugar to melt in there. Okay, I'll shut my Alabama mouth now.

Hahahahaha oh that was the nicest darn neck huggin' I ever had....thanks sweetypie ... right back at ya! but yeah the only red on my neck is from hugs :) oh and sometimes sunburn...ouch

Cut a piece of lemon, bite into it and suck on it for just a little bit. They will be gone in no time. You can try dill pickles too but I find the lemon works best.

When I was a kid, drinking water always worked... but it stopped as I got older. :c

Spoon full of sugar. That's the trick I grew up with. Ok, so sometimes a spoon full turned into a couple of spoon fulls, or that one time a bowl full. But it worked...and I really did have hiccups every time. Really!

Guzzle water while plugging your nose and holding your breath. Do it as much as you can stand it. It tricks your body into thinking you're drowning and stops the hiccups every time.

NovaDL said:
Guzzle water while plugging your nose and holding your breath. Do it as much as you can stand it. It tricks your body into thinking you're drowning and stops the hiccups every time.
That sounds like it would go down the wrong pipe and cause you to cough. I guess you wouldn't have the hiccups anymore though lol.

It's not a pleasant solution, but it's one you can always count on.

Drinking water while holding your nose. It sounds really odd but I swear it works.

ozbub said:
This!!

I was going to reply with a similar answer and i'm actually surprised someone else knows this trick!

It seems crazy but it worked pretty much everytime i've tried it. Another variant is to try and force the hiccup by yourself. Either way it's a mental trick and has all to do with your mind and concentration.

this always works for me, I swallow air until I can't anymore then burp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back