When you first opened up about your incontinence to a medical professional?

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Was you embarrassed and nervous? How did it go. Did they make you feel comfortable and assured?

I'm going to have to open up to my psychiatric community nurse as my continued 24/7 wearing is resulting in incontinence and I'm basically going to have to go 24/7 not for choose but because I'm starting to need them. Its mainly for bowel IC where I'm leaking after a BM movement and there is no hiding that. I think my recent binge has caused more pelvic floor weakness as leaking more, can't wipe myself clean.

Last edited:

NannaAnnabelle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
  2. Incontinent
It's been a long slog with my health care provider. When my IC first started they blamed the antibiotics I was hooked up to in the hospital and it did clear up after a few months. When my symptoms reemerged a few months ago they thought it was due to a kidney stone that I must have already passed. I'm now belatedly going back to my primary since I still have strong urge IC. This visit got delayed a few times due to illness.

Yeah I'm nervous and embarrassed about going to speak with him as well as a new counselor I'll be seeing the following week. So far with the limited phone appointments and my one urologist visit I haven't felt too uncomfortable. Next few weeks will be the real test.

Reactions: RoseofThorns and bobbilly

Cammer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Well I’m still very new to being almost fully IC at least since i have my own dr and not on my mom’s insurance, I have always had problems but I grew to manage till I couldn’t anymore. My first time to the doc about it was maybe 4 months ago. I was so nervous. First I had to see my primary for a referral to a urologist. So I was full of nerves both times. Since I wear 24/7 out of need now, I was so embarrassed when they had me strip to do a cough cough check. I don’t like drs as it is and now I fear to go back to my 6 month checkup in February. They wanted me to go for a test I can’t afford and they wanted me to go to PT which they never called back to set up, not like I have time for it since I have been working out of town every day for the past two months. Anyway I digress, to answer your question yes I was and still am.

MaxSyd

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
When IC became an issue for me after a spinal injury and a neurological condition my Dr ordered a ultrasound and a urodynamic study. It has all ruled out anything sinister, I was then referred to a community incontinence nurse. I tried other solutions to my IC but I ultimately came back to diapers as I feel more secure and confident in them. I also have bowel IC so the diapers are useful on that front. I was never recommended a certain type of diaper both my DR and the IC nurse left that up to me as I seemd more aware of the options than them. So I wear many brands of diapers 24/7 and im more and more confident in them. My DR hasn't really followed up on it as I'm managing fine myself.
I did get a report written by a OT so that my diapers are covered by the Australian government.

dpcare

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I didn't open up to them they approached me in the hospital and informed me that I am now permanently incontinent due to my injuries but it beats the alternative

Wetshisbed

Incontinent and Enuretic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
bobbilly said:
Was you embarrassed and nervous? How did it go. Did they make you feel comfortable and assured?

I'm going to have to open up to my psychiatric community nurse as my continued 24/7 wearing is resulting in incontinence and I'm basically going to have to go 24/7 not for choose but because I'm starting to need them. Its mainly for bowel IC where I'm leaking after a BM movement and there is no hiding that. I think my recent binge has caused more pelvic floor weakness as leaking more, can't wipe myself clean.
It was no big deal. The doctor refered me to a urologist and then the NHS continence service. I wouldnt have known I was diabetic if I hadnt seen the doc.

Pino

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I was really nervous, it was three years ago, age 43 back then. My family doctor is female, about the same age as me, took me very serious and sent me directly as an emergency to an urologist. He did not take me serious and was really awful, i felt really bad after that appointment.
It got normal to talk about it to medical professionals really fast. Sometimes it is hard, when you are talking to someone very young, doctor or stuff, even more when they are females. But i learned they are much more understanding than the male counterpart.