Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
So it only recently occurred to me a few months ago how genderized (if that's even a word lol) everything is when you're a child and how ingrained it still is even as adults. Heck, check out my profile pic the boys nappies are of course blue and the girls nappies are...pink who would've guessed? Already before I can even talk I am told that girls are to like pink and boys are to like blue. And they further label this by colorizing toys packaging accordingly pink for girls and any other color (usually blue) for boys toys. For just one example in Australia the Lego is branded like this, not to mention many other companies doing the same thing. I work in retail and its so bloody obvious to me now, just walk down the dolls isle and you'll see it.
Anyway moving on it dawned on me that I have for my entire life deliberately avoided anything that's pink or girly!? It must be some unconscious effort of myself because whether it be for buying a car, clothing or even a computer mouse, pink is out of the question. Now hang on, I thought to myself. Pink might actually be my favorite color! How would I know if I never got a chance to even attempt liking the color? It makes me angry that I got robbed of liking a particular color because of society.
So one day I decided to go buy a nice girly Frozen poster for my bedroom wall and you know what? One of my sisters walks into my room sees it and starts falling to the ground laughing. She's older than btw and to which she still owes me an apology for that thank you very much. It just makes it clear how ingrained this kind of thinking is. That boys can't and shouldn't like "girl" things. Well, you know what? Upon discovery of this new "girly" world I actually kind of like it.. a lot. I like the color pink now and it's definitely in my top 3 favorite colors. It's unfortunate many boys (including myself) grow up with this kind of thinking, unable to find what they truly like without fear of bullying or embarrassment.
Sorry for the wall of text just had to let this out.

Tl;DR Society forces boys not to like a particular color (pink) and inadvertently causes bullying towards any boys that oppose that view.

Exactly. It affected me pretty badly looking back. In primary school when we had to write short stories I was so afraid of writing about anything "girly" that I would deliberately not even include the word "girl" at all let alone girl characters out of fear of being teased even though I wanted to. This kind of attitude lasted well into high school too and still avoided using female characters when writing. It's bloody ridiculous.

Ironically, a few hundred years ago, pink and red were associated with boys, and blue with girls. The explanation has been that many boys would have to serve in the army for the King, so pink and red were associated with the blood they would spill. I wish I could wear some clothes that were a little feminine, but I have to live in this world as an employed musician, so I'm careful as to what I do in public.

I have heard of several attempts recently to try to over-come this bias by various companies and organizations (sorry, I cannot think of the names at the moment) by trying more neutral color choices or marketing in a non-gender way.

I hope this continues but biases tend to take a long...long time to be over-come even with good intentions.

I always kinda thought that gender stereotypes were BS. One can be a guy and like pink and girly stuff, just like one can be a girl and like transformers, and visa-virsa. because that is what they are, stereotypes. Sadly other people don't think that fully yet. I do pray for you Huggiesguy, and hope you can find your own peace with this, because sadly all of us do have to live in this crazy world.

Well here is an interesting fact.
From about the mid 1800's to early 1900's Pink and Blue were for Girls & Boys.
From the early 1900's to about the late 30's/ early 40's Pink was for Boys and Blue was for Girls.

Ladies' Home Journal article in June 1918 said:
"The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls.
The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy,
while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl."
YES! Boys wore Pink and Girls wore Blue.
But some one, some where decided that Nuuu Nuuu that just isn't right and it got switched to Pink = Girls, Blue = Boys.

MandyBear said:
From the early 1900's to about the late 30's/ early 40's Pink was for Boys and Blue was for Girls.

The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy,
But some one, some where decided that Nuuu Nuuu that just isn't right and it got switched to Pink = Girls, Blue = Boys.

That's very interesting it turns out it's because of manufacturers of clothes who just happened to see it differently and so it got switched. I found an article which talked about the photo of "little Franklin Delano Roosevelt" who like all little boys in 1884 wore a dress. Just search the name and see yourself. The article states that the "social convention of 1884, when FDR was photographed at age 2 1/2, dictated that boys wore dresses until age 6 or 7".

Last edited:
I have always had a fondness for dresses, dolls, baking and sewing. My mother would often make dresses and skirts for my sister. I asked one day if she would make me something. So she assumed my something meant pants. Pants were harder to make she explained. Could not bring myself to say I wanted a dress. I have always thought pink was a rather nice color. Naturally I would never wear anything pink when growing up. Until tenth grade I was on the small side. Small and wearing pink back then was not a good choice. Things changed when I finally grew. I did get a pink shirt and I did wear it, but not often. Today I have quite a few outfits with pink and now wish that I had remained shorter.
It was indeed common, at least among the upper class, that young boys wore dresses and had long hair. There is a painting of the Rough Rider, Teddy Roosevelt, hanging in his home on Long Island. If memory serves me correctly, he had long curly hair and wore a lovely dress. I heard somewhere that they were refereed to as boy dresses. Do not think a boy dress looked different than a girl dress. I guess that made it socially acceptable for little boys to wear a dress as it was a boy dress.

The story I heard was that because Hitler put pink triangles on gays, they stopped associating pink with boys.

MandyBear said:

Now that puzzles me, because the "strength" of a colour is not intrinsically linked to the colour, in my opinion, but to its intensity. I could see hot pink being deemed a stronger colour than baby blue, but conversely, navy blue or cobalt blue are stronger than pale pink. And if you can make a strong colour, then you can make a weak colour, simply by using less dye.

I myself like the colors pink and red the most and blue is not even near to the top if I had to make a list of my favorite colors. I only blue that I wear on a consistent basis is the blue in my pants/jeans.
I don't really understand gender stereotypes so I say let people like what they like and as long as it is not bothering others there shouldn't be an issue but somehow someway finds a way to become an issue.

I think for each person, each color has a meaning, so many people now are symbolized the particular meaning with colours.

This may be due to visual psychological or stereotypes.
like the blue color associated with courage because it was dark and pink are also associated with feminime because it looks soft.

The way society is nowadays (at least here in the United States), I have noticed (as I once said in another thread here) a double standard. Because of the work of Susan B. Anthony and others like her about, or maybe a little over, a century ago, masculine females are now generally accepted by society. As I told some of my counselors during the 200x decade, society thinks that, at worst, females like that are just tomboys, which is okay. But feminine males, on the other hand, are viewed as gay, at best.

I hate this double standard, partially because I really like several different feminine things, and recently have started protesting it by wearing feminine things when I have the time to. Unfortunately, I have gotten a lot more reactions to this questioning why I am doing this in a negative way (almost always by males, interestingly enough) than understanding reactions. The one case of the latter that I can remember now was a woman in the small city of Eureka, CA (interestingly enough) who quietly asked me if I felt like a woman trapped in a man's body. After I quietly confirmed this, she then quietly asked me if I was gay. I quietly told her that I am actually straight, then added a correction to an earlier statement that I actually feel like a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

BTW, I don't really care for the color stereotypes of a century or more ago that I read in a couple of the replies because that system also unfairly limited choices based purely on one's sex at birth, which of course can't be controlled by any person.

I hope these stereotypes change, of course. But I'm not holding my breath. And I think you and I, HuggiesGuy, as well as others like us, are just pioneers who were born before our time.

I've spent in my life so many years being viewed by society as male and still running around wearing bright pink and I really never honestly got that much comments on it and NEVER gotten a negative comment. Sure, some people have given me strange looks but like.. if you pay attention people will give you strange looks for anything. Breathe a little hard and they'll give you strange looks.

I know that this is an actual thing, but I also think that sometimes that we as human beings get so nervous and stuck in our own anxieties and so worried that we spook ourselves out of things that wouldn't be a big deal. I'm telling ya'll right now that openly liking pink is absolutely one of these things.

Anyone who mentions it will 99% of the time be satisfied with "I just like pink it's awesome, best color!" anyway. Own it, be confident, and don't be ashamed of who you are and you'll be surprised at how many people smile.

If there are people who say Black and Blue is the color "masculine" men, then they are wrong, because the masculine color is the Pink.

What.... how could be ????

http://kandasblogger.blogspot.com/2016/06/pink-is-color-masculine-men.html

So, it doesn't matter if seeing men wear "Pink"

Perhaps due to the impact trend of the metrosexual male who always pay attention to their appearance. However, if seen look, there is nothing strange if men wear pink, maybe there are much people don't understand and unfamiliar so many people who think it's a strange.

Thanks
Max

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got pink dress shirts and at least one pink tie (not worn at the same time).

We used to have "purple shirt day" at the office years ago (every Thursday).

I mean, long and very interesting talks of how pink is totally a masculine color aside, I think the simple matter of fact is that any color can be masculine or feminine. I enjoy pink as a feminine color, but I can totally see it rocking as a masculine color too.. and I think it's certainly capable of being both on different people, in different contexts, in different usages.

gigglemuffinz said:
I mean, long and very interesting talks of how pink is totally a masculine color aside, I think the simple matter of fact is that any color can be masculine or feminine. I enjoy pink as a feminine color, but I can totally see it rocking as a masculine color too.. and I think it's certainly capable of being both on different people, in different contexts, in different usages.

Sure,
This is the explanation of the meaning of each color if you want to know:

1. Red
impression symbolizes energy, strength, passion, eroticism, courage, a symbol of fire, achieving goals, the blood, the risk, fame, love, struggle, attention, war, danger, speed, hot, violent. This color can convey a tendency to display images and text are larger and closer. red color can be annoying when used at larger sizes. Red-suited for the theme that shows one's courage.

2. White
Shows peace, apology, self achievement, spirituality, divinity, virginity or chastity, simplicity, perfection, cleanliness, light, Innocent, security, unity. The white color is great for display or emphasize other colors and gives the impression of simplicity and cleanliness.

3. Black
Symbolizes protection, expulsion, something negative, binding, strength, formality, mystery, wealth, fear, evil, unhappiness, feelings of deep sadness, anger, something that violates the (underground), modern music, self-esteem, anti-establishment.

4. Blue
Gives the impression of Communications, Fortune Good, policy, protection, spiritual inspiration, calm, gentleness, dynamic, water, ocean, creativity, love, peace, trust, loyalty, intelligence, modeling, strength of adlam, sadness, stability, confidence, awareness, message, idea, share, idealism, friendship and harmony, affection.

5. Green
Shows the color of the earth, physical healing, abundance, miracle, plants and trees, fertility, growth, young, material success, renewal, endurance, balance, dependability and friendship. Can be used for relaxation, neutralize eye, won the mind, stimulate creativity.

6. Yellow
Referring to the sun, memory, imagination logical, social energy, cooperation, happiness, excitement, warmth, loyalty, mental stress, perception, understanding, wisdom, betrayal, jealousy, deception, weakness, timid, action, idealism, optimism, imagination, hope , summer, philosophy, uncertainty, worry and suspicion.

7. Pink
Pink shows the symbol of affection and love, friendship, feminine, beliefs, intentions, emotions medicine, peace, feeling smooth, sweet and wonderful feeling.

8. Purple
Shows the influence, third view, spiritual strength, knowledge is hidden, high aspirations, nobility, ceremony, mystery, enlightenment, telepathy, empathy, arrogant, intuition, trust in, ambition, magic or miracle, self-esteem.

9. Orange
Show warmth, enthusiasm, friendship, business achievement, career, success, health of mind, justice, endurance, excitement, fast motion, something that grows, interest, independence. On the Blog can enhance mental activity. Besides, the color of Orange gave a strong impression on the elements that are considered important.

11. Grey
Reflecting the security, intelligence, staid, simplicity, maturity is, conservative, practical, sadness, boredom, professional, quality, calm, serene.

12. Gold
Reflecting the prestige (position), health, safety, joy, wisdom, meaning, purpose, search into the hearts, mystical power, science, awe, concentration.

MaxToddler said:
Sure,
This is the explanation of the meaning of each color if you want to know:

Really nice explanations. I really liked all the in depth you went into the subject. Thanks for the effort. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back