When did you learn how to tie your shoes?

Azzie

he/they
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Maybe an odd question, but I wore slip-on shoes today which make me feel more little than shoes with laces, and it got me thinking about it. I didn’t learn how to tie my shoes until after I was already an adult; many people tried to teach me as a child, but me being left handed made it pretty difficult, and I just wasn’t ever able to understand how. My ex in high school would tie my shoes for me sometimes which I really liked, and I think now if anyone tied my shoes for me it’d make me feel really little. Anyway, it made me wonder if anyone else had a similar experience?

I started with Velcro
shoe tying I had mostly mastered around age 9-10
but now I mostly wear slip ons for convenience

I was four. It was the tie the strings once, make two bunny ears, then tie the bunny ears together method.

To this day I tie by the bunny ear method. I have never been able to do the other method

I wore Velcro shoes as a kid, but I haven’t in a while. Maybe I should try to find a pair someday.

They tried to teach me the bunny ear method but I just wasn’t able to do it lol. That‘s how I tie my shoes now, though, I have no idea how to do it any other way.

I’m not exactly sure the age, but I remember being really terrible at it for a long time. Both of my parents at a certain point told me that they wouldn’t help me anymore, that I was too old for their help, and would get really mad at me when I couldn’t do it well or the laces untied quickly.
Now I’ve mastered the art of tying my shoes once and then slipping in and out of them. I can wear kids sizes so I hope to go back and get a pair of cute velcro shoes one day—maybe they’ll even light up!

Reactions: Chloris
Elisa said:
To this day I tie by the bunny ear method. I have never been able to do the other method
Same here. As far as I'm concerned, there is no other way to tie your laces.

Reactions: AJFan2020 and Elisa
I was 10 when I learned to tie shoelaces, and it was under duress, but I managed in end. As I child I didn’t persevere with learning difficult tasks, I took the view “if I can’t, I can’t”.

It makes me feel little if my laces are tied by someone else; and I like Velcro as well. I also like wearing slip-on or Velcro shoes without socks, because it feels childish.

I was 6 when I learned how, I was forced to because everyone stopped tying my shoes for me so I started to wear slip on or buckled ones only because tying them would take too long. I got in trouble in PE once for trying to tie my shoes and it took me rest of the class to get it done and my teacher thought I was just playing and sitting out and called me a liar when I told her. Never again did I wore laced shoes again to school for a while. If they got untied, I'd be darn.

Gotten to the point where everyone in the house pretty much does slip-ons. And where is that really going to be a problem? How often do we go rollerskating anymore? Bowling? I don’t even get flack for athletic shoes in the office unless they're fluorescent green or something.

I was probably five-ish, but I’ve always preferred “tie it once, slip in and out”. I see tying shoes as throughly unnecessary outside of a few cases, but it IS important to know how to tie a few knots, and that’s where most people start learning.

5 but I could tie bows at least a full year before that - horsies needed their manes and tails pretty and all my doll clothes had ties and mom was tired of doing them every two seconds. So transferring that to shoes took no time

about 5

Azzie said:
Maybe an odd question, but I wore slip-on shoes today which make me feel more little than shoes with laces, and it got me thinking about it. I didn’t learn how to tie my shoes until after I was already an adult; many people tried to teach me as a child, but me being left handed made it pretty difficult, and I just wasn’t ever able to understand how.

It took me until around 12. I'd need help to tie my laces until then and also had velcro shoes. I think I felt pressure to fit in with other kids around that age, and to stop wearing velcros, so that really motivated me to try to figure it out then. I'm left handed too so maybe that also had something to do with it like it did with you.

I was in the Sophomore to Senior range (age 16 to 18 years) in a high school in Western Massachusetts. I know this because I was no longer in public school at that point. I was in a private college prep school by then.

Before that I usually wore Velcro shoes.

Back