When and how did you discover that adult nappies existed?

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I would be interested to know how everyone came to discover that adult nappies existed.

For me it was a holiday to Spain as a child when I was about 11.

When I was a little younger (say, around 5)I would always see foreign boys and girls who seemed about my age playing by the poolside in nappies (there were no swim pants then). I was insanely jealous about that and as such always associated holidays with nappies and the longing to wear them.

When we went to supermarkets I would look at the interesting packaging and would also sometimes hang around to see who was buying. A parent who was buying for an obviously older child would get the jealousy tingling.

Once I saw a pink package next to the child nappies which said something like “adult hygiene” on them with a small drawing of a four-tab adult nappy.

That was the first time I had any clue that adult nappies existed. They were never sold in UK supermarkets at that time.

Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover
I think I knew they existed for a long amount of time

I also didn't know for a long amount of time how good some of them are

I think most of us knew about the low Quality Adult Diapers, far before we knew about the better quality Medical and ABDL Diapers

I’m really not sure when I found out. I feel like I have always known for some reason.

When i actually had a need for adult diapers. Only then did I realize they existed.

It took me quite a while. I had looked as a kid when first shopping and had only found belted undergarments for adults. For whatever reason, I didn't question whether bigger stores might have something different. That area of the store at the time was unappealing and not what I was looking for so I didn't pursue it further.

I was in my 20s before I saw there were disposable products like a diaper that would fit an adult. Unfortunately, my definitions were still very rigid and the green color of the Depends I saw was a definite turn-off. Still, knowing they existed led me to look further and I eventually found a store with Attends and those fully met my expectations as to what a diaper for adults would be.

I grew up as a bed wetter. I had wet most of my life and didn't finally "grow out of it" until my mid to late teens. Throughout this time, I had always taken care of my nighttime accidents and we only used a plastic sheet for protection. The cleanup was never forced on me, nor did my parents ever use this as "punishment", rather it was just a responsibility of mine. I probably started stripping sheets, washing, and making my bed around the first grade.

I looked upon this quite differently at different times in my life. When I was really young, it didn't even phase me. I had no idea that something was "different" with me until I reached about six or seven.

Around this time I knew I was "different", however it really didn't affect me and I hadn't taken much notice of it until about age ten.

At this point in life I became a bit distressed with bed wetting and I knew that something was "wrong" with me. This change in attitude probably came about because of scouts, camping trips, sleep overs, all things that I was now a bit wary to take part in that a normal hyper-active outgoing 10 year old boy would. It didn't stop me (never did), though it made things a bit more difficult and stressful at times since you have to plan things out by telling your friends parents, the school, scout organizers, and family. I was always smart about my night-time accidents though. I never panicked, worried too much, and just kept taking responsibility for them.

By the time I was twelve or so the stress had pretty much vanished, and I was now just dealing with a "condition". I had been really lucky that NO ONE had ever found out (without being told prior) or caught me, and they never would.

At about fourteen/fifteen my mom (probably out of frustration and prompted by a coupon for Attends) asked me if I would like to try diapers to make things easier around the house. I was absolutely dumbstruck and froze like a deer in headlights. The thought had never crossed my mind and I hadn't even realized that diapers that big existed. I seriously thought that I was the only one in the world with this issue at my age. It took me all day to wrap my mind around the proposal, and around bedtime that night I had decided that anything was better than the chance of waking up early as hell cold and wet.

PCS said:
I would be interested to know how everyone came to discover that adult nappies existed.

For me it was a holiday to Spain as a child when I was about 11.

When I was a little younger (say, around 5)I would always see foreign boys and girls who seemed about my age playing by the poolside in nappies (there were no swim pants then). I was insanely jealous about that and as such always associated holidays with nappies and the longing to wear them.

When we went to supermarkets I would look at the interesting packaging and would also sometimes hang around to see who was buying. A parent who was buying for an obviously older child would get the jealousy tingling.

Once I saw a pink package next to the child nappies which said something like “adult hygiene” on them with a small drawing of a four-tab adult nappy.

That was the first time I had any clue that adult nappies existed. They were never sold in UK supermarkets at that time.
Looking at online ABDL pictures is how I found out about ABDL diapers.

In 1997 when first knew about adult incontinence pads/nappies. I was 11 years old. I just started a special needs secondary school. I was using the disabled toilet in the portacabin with classrooms attached. In the disabled toilets there was an old doctors/dentist bench, a yellow clinical waste bin and packs of Attends Contours incontinence pads, if your unfamiliar with Attends Contours the pads are mainly used to contain bowel incontinence. It turned out there was a boy a year older than me called Craig (name changed) who was totally bowel incontinent. I was so jealous of him. A side note - the following year I caught the same school bus on our routes to school and home. He used to have accidents sometimes and it become quite obvious a few times... That made me very jealous off him, surprisingly he got more grief of the bus attendant women then the kids, most of the kids where low functioning anyway.

Anyway at 11 years old I used to sneak in the disabled toilet and fill my backpack up with the Attends incontinence pads. I never knew my I wanted them - just that I did... My fosters parents soon found the used (I don't think wet at that stage) pads under my bed, they started shaming me by taking me back to school with the pads I didn't use and giving them back to the headteacher in front off me. It didn't stop me from stealing them again.. I seen a child psychologist and soon after that my foster mother started buying me Tena Slip Supers from the mail order catalogue. I first seen a prober adult nappy then at around 12 years old. I wore pretty much constantly at night from age 12 to 17.... I moved into my own flat at 17, supported housing flat and had free rain to wear whenever I wanted so wore pretty much all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidewinder
I knew there was such a thing as incontinence (without knowing the word!) and that there were people who wore nappies beyond normal potty training age, from quite a young age... as I’ve mentioned before, there was a girl at primary school who everyone knew wore nappies. I kind of figured out something like actual nappies for adults must exist, but was I think early teens when I first spotted Boots Staydry nappies on the shelves. I was desperate to try them but didn’t dare to buy any until I went away to uni, around the time (in the early internet days) I learned of the existence of ABDLs.

Didn't realise until I was like maybe 7/8 when I was watching a show with my parents about the funniest adverts from around the world and one included women playing tennis wearing diapers.

Reactions: ChocChip
CookieMonstah said:
Didn't realise until I was like maybe 7/8 when I was watching a show with my parents about the funniest adverts from around the world and one included women playing tennis wearing diapers.
What was the advert, was it actually advertising the diapers?

ChocChip said:
What was the advert, was it actually advertising the diapers?
I dunno the advert as that was like 14 years ago

I was much older when I discovered adult nappies. I gave up wearing when I was 14. Largely because it had got to the point where I wouldn't fit baby nappies any more.

My parents also caught me countless times from age 5 onwards. I remember my mum sat me down at 14 and quizzed me on if I was still wearing, it's not normal etc.

It was until I was 21 or 22 that I just decided to search eBay to see if adult nappies existed. It blew my mind finding Tena slip on there. I was super paranoid about wearing when I first ordered. Got it shipped to my workplace and the receptionist opened the packet. Never said a thing to me, just placed it on my desk.

Rather than wearing at home I got nappies shipped to the post office. I had a tent in the woods and a waterproof box. I'd go there to wear them to avoid being discovered. That didn't last though and I ended up wearing at home when parents were out.

Loving these threads PCS. Bit of a trip down memory lane. I can definitely relate to feelings of jealousy/excitement when I was younger.

Thanks.

Nostalgia is a big part of it for me.

It’s interesting to hear about other people’s experiences from the time.

well for me it was about 13ish I was diapered from birth until I was 12 then after that I was in a mix of diapers and youth pull-ups until 16 and the school nurse during a diaper change at school when I was 13 explained that they made diapers in adult sizes also

I think I knew when they first started appearing on shelves at grocery stores. The much better discovery was finding AB/DL diapers on line. Before I bought my first AB diapers, I would go crazy just looking at pictures of them on the various sites. I really wanted the pink plastic pants that had little animals on them. Eventually I started buying some and haven't looked back.

7/8 or younger? Sears catalogue and reusable adult diapers, lololol.

I must have been 6 or 7. I discovered belted undergarments at a home church I attended. I stole some, not knowing why. I think I first saw them in Reader's Digest, actually. I think those were Depends from the 80s.

My mother was a nurse in convalescent homes and would often come home complaining how she had to spent the night changing old peoples's shitty diapers so u kids could have a place to live so I knew of them at a very early age. While I had a fascination with baby diapers starting around age 4 I dismissed adult diapers as playthings until my early 30s.

bobbilly said:
In 1997 when first knew about adult incontinence pads/nappies. I was 11 years old. I just started a special needs secondary school. I was using the disabled toilet in the portacabin with classrooms attached. In the disabled toilets there was an old doctors/dentist bench, a yellow clinical waste bin and packs of Attends Contours incontinence pads, if your unfamiliar with Attends Contours the pads are mainly used to contain bowel incontinence. It turned out there was a boy a year older than me called Craig (name changed) who was totally bowel incontinent. I was so jealous of him. A side note - the following year I caught the same school bus on our routes to school and home. He used to have accidents sometimes and it become quite obvious a few times... That made me very jealous off him, surprisingly he got more grief of the bus attendant women then the kids, most of the kids where low functioning anyway.

Anyway at 11 years old I used to sneak in the disabled toilet and fill my backpack up with the Attends incontinence pads. I never knew my I wanted them - just that I did... My fosters parents soon found the used (I don't think wet at that stage) pads under my bed, they started shaming me by taking me back to school with the pads I didn't use and giving them back to the headteacher in front off me. It didn't stop me from stealing them again.. I seen a child psychologist and soon after that my foster mother started buying me Tena Slip Supers from the mail order catalogue. I first seen a prober adult nappy then at around 12 years old. I wore pretty much constantly at night from age 12 to 17.... I moved into my own flat at 17, supported housing flat and had free rain to wear whenever I wanted so wore pretty much all the time.
Reading your entry made me remember a discovery of my own.

It was during the summer of 1998, (I was 11, soon to be 12 at the time) I remember seeing a commercial for Attends briefs and I was was amazed that there was a such thing as adult diapers.

Back