What's your favorite children's book

Light house keepers lunch

Reactions: feetintrouble
A British one from the 1970s: Phoebe and the Hot Water Bottles. Beautifully illustrated, and about 7-year-old Phoebe who loves playing with hot water bottles wanting to be "old" enough to have her very own puppy - oh how times have changed from when children were regularly given puppies as presents. The book was sadly discredited and is out of print because she earns her puppy by doing something heroic which authorities do not approve of nowadays.

@loveducks I too loved the Light House Keeper's lunch!

Last edited:
Another British peculiarity, not well-known now: Puddle Lane, a series of books from the 1980s teaching children to read, about a lane in a British village inhabited by characters such Mrs Pitter-Patter the interfering busybody, an elderly magician, the cats Tim, Tessa and Peggoty (or "Pegs"), and monsters such as the friendly Griffle, and the Gruffle who was very gruff and grumpy.

When I was a little kid I had some of the "Uncle Wiggly" books which I loved. I wonder if they are now out of print and what sort of content they contained. I remember my mom not liking them.

When I get the Alice in Wonderland clothes, I have to re read the book. Carrol was a mathematician and logician. He wrote a book on logic also.

Harry and the no-good terrible absolutely horrible day. always stuck in my head ever since I was a kid

James and the Giant Peach

Beatrix Potter's stories are some of my all-time favourites-I think my favourite is The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck.

I also loved Each Peach Pear Plum-I read it to my niece when she was about 18 months(she's 3 now)and we both enjoyed it!

Room on the broom!

Back