What's the dumbest thing you've microwaved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I microwaved a microwave transformer, it made quite a pretty lightshow before frying the microwave and ending the fun.

On a side note, I have experienced a microwave that sometimes decided to count upwards. So you'd set the dial to 2 minutes, come back 5 minutes later and find your food distributed in a thin film over every surface and the dial at 7.

Karznah said:
On a side note, I have experienced a microwave that sometimes decided to count upwards.

On my mom's microwave, starting the timer and starting the microwave emitter is not an atomic operation, so you can stop one without stopping the other if your timing is perfect... stop the timer but leave the power on!

I microwaved some chocolate once, doesn't seem too bad right? You see... I was trying to make chocolate milk by melting a chocolate bar in a glass cup and then adding it to some milk while mixing it in a "magic bullet" which is basically a smaller blender. End result? I broke the glass, the chocolate was burnt, and the finished product was not very tasty. It turns out the glass was not something that could be microwaved. I don't know if that counts as 'dumb' but I really felt dumb afterwards.

Last edited:
As a science geek i like this post. In back to the future the delorian gets a sparkly when it time travels, to see that effect put a scratched and useless cd in the mic for about five seconds. A previous post mentioned creating plasma balls, plenty of YouTube informational videos on that. I've been in restricted areas while in the military certain harddrives have microwaves built around them to fry it in the event of a security breach. As far as killing bacteria on your sponge goes; a real sponge that wet can probably take 30 sec or so to sterilize, a fake sponge will likely melt unless you do short bursts and rotate/ flip it each time until it's hot enough to be sterile. You can use bleach or extremely salty water to kill those germs too and it will be less of a chore. Only play with plasma balls in a microwave you won't mind destroying tho. Happy zapping!

Uhgm this one time i did microwave a diaper to warm it up lol :O yeah it was wet haha

Lets see....

Me:

Dish pad (not the metal type). I wash it out and put a little bit of dawn soap on it and squeezed it out a little bit so water wasn't pouring out of it, I nuked it for about 20 seconds. I killed anything on it, I assume.

empty bowl. I have no idea, I was going to heat up chicken noodle soup.

dry ramen noodles. I had just woken up with only a couple hours of sleep, after a very late night of programming for a game.

My brother:

Spaghetti O's in a cool whip bowl, for 50 minutes. He was around 5. My mom and I smelled something burning and we ran into the kitchen to see smoke bellowing out of the microwave. He ran in shortly after, asking if his Spaghetti O's were finished. Out mom give him a dirty look and he ran off to his room and hid :lmao: He didn't get into too much trouble, but did get in trouble for using the microwave by himself.

Probably undercooked donner meat which has given me food poisoning

Pop tarts in the metal wrapper when I was 6. It caught the microwave oven on fire for a moment

FluffyMastiff said:
Lets see....

Me:

Dish pad (not the metal type). I wash it out and put a little bit of dawn soap on it and squeezed it out a little bit so water wasn't pouring out of it, I nuked it for about 20 seconds. I killed anything on it, I assume.

empty bowl. I have no idea, I was going to heat up chicken noodle soup.

dry ramen noodles. I had just woken up with only a couple hours of sleep, after a very late night of programming for a game.

My brother:

Spaghetti O's in a cool whip bowl, for 50 minutes. He was around 5. My mom and I smelled something burning and we ran into the kitchen to see smoke bellowing out of the microwave. He ran in shortly after, asking if his Spaghetti O's were finished. Out mom give him a dirty look and he ran off to his room and hid :lmao: He didn't get into too much trouble, but did get in trouble for using the microwave by himself.
Lol that sounds like a tumblr text post, that's beautiful.

- - - Updated - - -

Crinklebuttt said:
As a science geek i like this post. In back to the future the delorian gets a sparkly when it time travels, to see that effect put a scratched and useless cd in the mic for about five seconds. A previous post mentioned creating plasma balls, plenty of YouTube informational videos on that. I've been in restricted areas while in the military certain harddrives have microwaves built around them to fry it in the event of a security breach. As far as killing bacteria on your sponge goes; a real sponge that wet can probably take 30 sec or so to sterilize, a fake sponge will likely melt unless you do short bursts and rotate/ flip it each time until it's hot enough to be sterile. You can use bleach or extremely salty water to kill those germs too and it will be less of a chore. Only play with plasma balls in a microwave you won't mind destroying tho. Happy zapping!

It was a synthetic sponge but it wasn't for too long, the only thing that got burned was me since thought to grab it with my whole hand. Too bad someone gave those types of hard drives to hillary

When I was younger I wanted to microwave a corndog but we were out of clean plates. So I used a decorative plate. That had metal in it.
It sparked for a few seconds and I turned it off. I was so scared that I never opened it.
My dad was rather confused when he found two uneaten corndogs in the microwave the next morning.

Also, pamperchu would be the king of this thread.

Last edited:
My Binky.
I miss my Binky. She was a good cat.

Wombat said:
My Binky.
/emote with eyes wide open/ (on mobile, can't find emotes)

I, I I dont even know what to say or ask /unsure

- - - Updated - - -

Butterscotch said:
Lol that sounds like a tumblr text post, that's beautiful.

I've never been on Tumblr, so I'm not sure I fully understand, but thank you :D

FluffyMastiff said:
/emote with eyes wide open/ (on mobile, can't find emotes)

I, I I dont even know what to say or ask /unsure

- - - Updated - - -

I've never been on Tumblr, so I'm not sure I fully understand, but thank you :D

It's a very cancerous website but has some funny bloggers

Wombat said:
My Binky.

You are sick

Hmm. I've microwaved quite a few CDs and DVDs, but I haven't been much more daring than that. There are quite a few interesting microwave oven experiments one can perform if one has a junker of a microwave oven. At present, mine is rather new and handsome-looking, and not quite ready for that kind of abuse.

Funny story, though: Many years ago, one of my wife's friends was visiting our apartment and was walking around in her socks when she stepped in some water or something. This led her to take off her socks, and when we weren't looking, she threw them into our microwave oven with the intent of drying them. Eek! We didn't notice what she'd done until we smelled smoke and ran to the kitchen in time to see her batting her flaming socks out of the microwave and onto the stove top. I forget exactly how the situation unfolded after that, but suffice it to say that our apartment smelled really nasty for several days--like burned plastic.

Butterscotch said:
I read somewhere that to get the smell out of a dishwashing sponge I had to microwave it, and idk if it worked but it made it foam up and it got really hot. What i want to try someday is microwaving a GoPro to see what happens to it.

What's the dumbest thing you've put in a microwave?

An icing packet for toaster strudles. The noise it makes is really insane when it pops.

Last edited:
Bacon haha

Melting chocolate in a PLASTIC measuring cup for a recipe. (I wasn't thinking lol) Had a mix of melted chocolate and plastic and also a mess to clean. ugh!
My sister started a fire in a microwave tho when she was a kid! :) She wanted butter for her popcorn. Not paying attention, she put the butter in a safe bowl in the microwave but she FORGOT to make sure she got all the foil off the butter. We all know you can't microwave metal. Lucky it was caught just after we saw flames!

JayceeJames said:
Bacon haha

What's wrong with microwaving bacon? My mom microwaves it sometimes to add to chicken salads.

Not so much a microwave story but this one very mentally challenged person that I know was using a toaster and making poptarts but he stood there holding the button down so it didn't pop up automatically. Everyone else smelled burning and ran to the kitchen and there he is holding the slide down with smoke and flame licking the cupboards above the toaster. They laugh about it now but he nearly burnt the house down.
I am a savagely amazing line cook and other than throwing it in the deep fryer the next quickest way to cook bacon is to nuke it.

In high school, the disciplinarian mentioned the one time his grandmother had a cat that bit him badly so he put it in the mic and killed it... Hell of a way to die for any living thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back