what will you be like when you're old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
half credit for this thread goes to lukie, since it comes from a conversation i was having with him.

i'm hoping i'll be hella wise by the time i'm old. i'll have learned to be ultra polite and poised, and i'll always know exactly the right thing to say in every situation. but at the same time i won't be too dignified and stuck-up to poke fun at myself. i'll be merry and twinkly and maybe a bit mischievious. in short, i'm hoping to be sort of like albus dumbledore:

...only i'll also be a brilliant fiddle player! :D

of course the chances are i'll be completely different than that, in ways i never could have predicted, but still it's fun to speculate. so what do you think/hope you'll be like when you get old?

supercas29

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
I hope I'll have the kind of energy in my voice that makes younger people want to sit down and listen when I tell stories about my life. I want to be loved and respected (and I want my last name to be the same as my best friend's) *cough* Umm... yeah! I wanna be a cool old chick.

Role
  1. Private
Like I mentioned, I think I'll be a very softly-spoken and subtle person, perhaps to the point where I'm misconstrued as having ulterior motives, but that won't be the case. I'm thinking a very polite old gentleman, friendly to talk to and just full of wit and dry humour. Although I don't think I'll recount many stories, usually not my thing, but rather still take things as they come.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I know this is going to sound somewhat cliche, but so long as I'm in good health, don't lose my mind and can live independently I could care less. I just don't ever want to have to live in an old folks home.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
I have joked with a friend that we will be the only two old farts at the nursing home headbanging to Metallica and Korn. I still wonder how thats gonna work out
*engage old man voice*
"Ehhh, turn that UP! . . . I know my hearing aids are out, it's NOT the same, dammit! God I do love me some Sanitarium. It's a shame they're all dead though, eeeehhhhh."*cough, cough*

*end voice*

It's gonna be a fight, to be sure. =)

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I'll be a fun Grandpa who tells lots of stories to his grandchildren. :D

Hell, that's my main motivation for living an interesting life: so I can retell it when I'm old. :p I want my grandchildren to hang onto my every word.

I think I'll be wise, I hope I'll be wise! I probably would have read (and perhaps written) a lot of philosophy by then, so I might take the role of mental philosopher granddad. All old people who are into philosophy are a bit barking.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I'm going to be a typical cookie making Grandma! Who finds silly little gifts to send my grand kids, and always brings them back souvenirs! I want to travel a shit ton. Why? Because I'll be retired, of course! I'll be one of those grandams who calls everyone hun, sweetie, and darling.

Yessir. ^.^

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
A number of people I know have suggested this, only an engineer instead of a doctor:

While this would be quite cool, I imagine it would be a quite unhappy and lonely life, and that is not something I would like. Also, that isn't really old, so too young for this thread really. A 'Gregory House' stage of life would be fun, but probably mess you up in the long run. I'm not sure if it is something I would like to happen or not, though oddly I considered it a compliment when people have said it.

I dunno. Surely the fun bit is finding out when you get there? I don't want to be seen as boring or old though - I want to be the sort of person that people listen too and find interesting. And being a bit crazy would be fun. Everyone likes crazy. I'll probably end up as some mad scientist/geriatric geek - the sort that suprises people because not only do they know how the technology works, they actually get into it BEFORE it is in the general domain. Yeah, I can see that happening - mad but loveable scientist type, that'd be fun.

Also, sorta related:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CMN_gOBmthM

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I hope to be the same I am now.
Level headed, calm, emotion driven and introverted.
I just want to live a simple life.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer

Hell, that's my main motivation for living an interesting life: so I can retell it when I'm old. :p I want my grandchildren to hang onto my every word.

That's me in a nutshell. :smile:

B

Butterfly Mage

My hope is to be still reasonably healthy and a whole lot wiser. I hope that I will have fully apprecieted my life and not fear my death.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
Hate to even think about it! It's getting too close, too fast. :frown: Staying young mentally can only do so much to slow the aging physically. Though I hope I can always get around on my own two legs. Keeping my weight down hopefully will help insure that.

~Pramrider

Role
  1. Private
The scourge of MBA programs in the USA.

Aside from that, I suspect I'll be pretty much as I am now, but with better stories. And stories that are told half-way through, to end with the second half of another story. :)

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
People often tell me that I act much older than I am (mostly not in a good way) so I dread to think what I'll be like when I actually am old. Probably just less constrained with the plethora of general meandering criticisms and irritations that I hold now but manage to suppress out of politeness or not wanting to offend people.

Actually, I'm rather looking forward to being old in a sense. It's pretty much a ticket for being able to get away with being incredibly rude to, and about, people and have it passed of as eccentricity or some such. I suppose it's because people think that you've earned the right to say as you please when you've lived long enough or perhaps because you simply aren't viewed as seriously. Whatever the case I imagine I'll enjoy telling people about 'how things were better in my day' and 'how the country's going to hell in a hand basket' even if I don't particularity think it but could get away with winding up the young 'uns by so doing.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover

I think I'll be wise, I hope I'll be wise! I probably would have read (and perhaps written) a lot of philosophy by then, so I might take the role of mental philosopher granddad. All old people who are into philosophy are a bit barking.

Ha ha Charlie F....you've read my stories on this site. I don't think I better tell them to my grand children, do you? I can't believe that I'm now 61, and I might add that all of you who are in your teens or early 20's make me feel all the older, *sigh*. Anyway, for a 61 one year old, I do o.k. I can still out run most of the junior high students at my school. Today school ended for winter break, all the students were supposed to be out of the building. There are 3 kids who I enjoy talking to, and they were roaming around. They wanted to get into the library which has a microwave, and microwave popcorn. They asked me if I would let them, which I most certainly shouldn't have, but since school was over for two weeks, I said, sure, common! So we microwaved!

You're as old as you feel, or as old as you let yourself get. Life is too short to let it defeat you as long as you have your health. I'm still crazy and wild, but my kids don't know it, sort of..... But let me warn all of you, you fart a lot more.:laugh:

spacemanBEN

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
My hope is to be almost as good a guitarist as Eric Clapton is as of 2008 when I'm his age (haha). But seriously, I hope to still be playing a ton of music and enjoying life. My biggest hope is that I don't become the "typical" old person. I don't want to be grumpy, I want to be happy and full of life!

Status
Not open for further replies.