What was ur childhood musical instrument?

GumbDrop

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I play percussion and i am in college for it but i tried guitar and trumpet and both failed lmao

Music like all entertainment and fun was not allowed by my parents, it goes against god or something. Near sixty years on I am a huge movie buff, music fan and struggling to learn guitar, bass and the Irish tin whistle. I'm not so good a musician but enjoying it.

I started on the piano when I was 7, then began trumpet at age 10. I also played euphonium and saxophone in high school.

At the ripe age of 6 I learned to play the piano. I stopped taking lessons when I reached the age of 15 and took alto sax in high school and played in the jazz band(of course in diapers under my skirt) I did a big solo during my graduation, then it was off to college to get my BS degree in business. I wore diapers all through college too, so don't ask. Those were the innocent days, when fun was fun and messing a diaper meant nothing. Like a fart in the wind...

Started piano classes at 4 or 5 y.o., but dropped out before graduating from the music school. My teacher used to leave me alone for hours and do coffee breaks, so I kinda lost my motivation, I think. Regret it now, want to learn at least something, but it takes time, which I don't want to spend on this.

I was in choir during childhood. I had a piano that I fiddled around with and never really properly learned how to play it. So I guess piano and vocals would be mine.

I play drums now.

I used to play keyboards as a kid, but all I did was screw with it and rarely ever practice.

I started out with violin at the end of second grade, and found out I was gifted at it. I would go on to play the following:
-guitar
-upright bass
-cello
-viola
-bass guitar
-harp guitar
-tenor guitar
-pedal steel guitar
-drums
so I play a lot

I started by playing the recorder some time in kindergarten (which almost every kid I knew did), and then at age 6 I was allowed to choose another instrument. I chose the violin, and have been playing it ever since. About two years ago I picked up my dad's old viola, and now I'm switching back and forth between the two.

My parents (my dad especially) always valued a good musical education. My brothers also were encouraged to do music, even though my oldest brother has severe autism and didn't do much other than breathing into a harmonica. It seemed like it was fun for him though, so that's okay. My other brother played the piano for years, but around 16 he dropped it.

I started also with recorder somewhen in primary school. I hate it, and changed to as fast as I could guitar and had classical lessons for five years. Later in secondary school I also had piano lessons and started with playing drums and e-bass. My parents hate that because they listen only to classical music and everything newer then Strawinskie was no musik for them... In the school band I played e-bass. Today I still play e-guitar in semi pro a cover band :)

I studied both piano and organ as a child and eventually majored in organ performance at Westminster Choir College, Princeton. I also sang and was head bass for Symphonic Choir, Westminster. We performed at Philharmonic Hall and Carnegie Hall, NYC. I've made my living ever since as a musician.

• alto sax
  • clarinet
  • oboe
  • bassoon
  • sousaphone (in marching band, high school through college)
My dad passed away in August, and I inherited a really nice old Ramirez guitar from him. Sooooo... Might have to take up guitar here soon!

Never took instrument lessons, unless you consider the voice an instrument... I took singing lessons and was in a choir when I was younger.

Also, my family was fairly musically inclined, so I was around instruments a lot growing up and dabbled in some; from the drums, to the organ and the guitar to the balalaika and the zither of all things.

I did the Flutophone in 4th grade and played it through the summer until it fell apart.

Then in 5th grade I attempted Trumpet and Sousaphone. I did a great job of making them both into real annoying moose calls.

It was not until 2000 that I learned about "Native American Love flutes" that I bought one and have been playing ever since.

In primary school everyone, including me, had to learn the small recorder. A wooden flute.
Later I was interested in learning the guitar but the teacher drove me off after just a few sessions. With about 10 I was to learn the accordion and went up to play it quite okayish until the (German) three big M's came into play. (Mädchen, Musik, Motorräder) - Girls, (heavy metal) music , motorcycles. :biggrin:

Reactions: mickdl
Guitar for 16 years. Then I learned Chapman Stick and keyboards. Not great at either but still good at guitar when I get a chance to play, which is not often.

Back