What was it like to wear diapers in Elementary School?

I want to a special needs school here in England. I loved that school. I would steal IC nappies from the disabled bathroom. It set me up for a life on disability benefits which pays generously. I wear IC nappies pretty much all the time.

Reactions: LIDiaperBoy
I started school in the late sixties, when pull-ups and disposable diapers were not yet around. I had wetting accidents ... not "floods", just quite regular small leaks. My mom was understanding and supportive, but I know my dad was ashamed of me, although he never said as much or punished me for it in any way.

When I started school I wore plastic pants with an old cloth baby diaper folded in the crotch. Later when I was a young teenager in school I wore PVC "Sandra Incontinence Pants" (I remember what it said on the boxes!) with a disposable insert pad. I can remember feeling the plastic sticking to my skin at the sides where there was no padding.

I actually don't remember anyone ever finding out ... or at least if they did, they didn't say anything. Anyway, thus started a fascination/fixation with plastic pants that never left me to this day!

Reactions: Angelapinks
I used to be too scared to ask to go to the bathroom in elementary school. I would hold it as long as possible until I eventually would have an accident. I would wet and mess myself. Eventually I got pull-ups and none of my classmates seemed to know or care. But having the diaper as a security blanket made me a much more confident person, and I think that’s why I still wear today 12 years later.

Reactions: thedlguy
Fortunately I was home schooled until fourth grade. Which was great because I was having regular accidents until I was six. So it wasn't a problem in elementary school. Sunday school on the other hand...

winterheart01 said:
When the parents provide medical documents that the child is incontinent then unfortunately they refer them to a special needs school :(
Sounds weird and unfair but that's how it goes here, most schools don't want to waste time with changing diapers.
I find it unfair because the child gets a different education regardless of their capabilities, they teach you things for simple jobs while a good portion of those kids are actually very intelligent and don't belong there, they just required some help with either diaper changing or motor skills, that's all.
I did hear that in kindergarten (school for ages 3 - 5) some schools who can afford it, have an assistant who changes diapers or changes the clothes in case the child has no diapers when there's an accident.
I had to go to a special education school up until the 1st grade, because of my cleft palate and not being able to talk and I have mild autism. I wasn't potty trained so I had to wear and bring diapers to school. I was changed by my teacher. When we moved to a new town that had the special education classes at the school i was starting the 2nd grade. I was just barely potty trained but I still had several accidents at school so I kept my pullups in my back pack and went to the nurses office for my changes.

someone in m pre school always had a diaper on and i rember asking him about it he like huh then also in that class someone soak Spanish

I once messed myself in kindergarten. To where it came out of the back of my pants. I remember being walked to the nursery. By a teacher aid while I was bawling my eyes out. I was change into a diaper and had to wait for my grandma to bring me new clothes. That was the only time I was diapered at school.

I was never diapered in school and never diapered when I got home from school or anytime at home well after being potty trained. But back then I had medical problem's where I did have accident's and some of those accident's were just pure laziness because I didn't want to stop playing outside or whatever I was doing at the time and ended up wetting myself.
I often wondered what would happen if mommy and daddy made me wear diapers to school and wear diapers at home up until the day I had those problems fixed.

caitianx said:
In the 1960's when I was in Elementary School, diapers and plastic pants were not allowed in school, not like today.
I knew this kid, Brad, in elementary school. He wore cloth diapers and plastic pants 24/7 all through elementary school. He moved so I don't know if his condition improved or not. Always wondered if he was abdl now.

Back when my best friend and I were in pre-k. Not only was he my best friend in school he was my best friend outside of school I think he was two doors away from my house and the same age as 6 he was maybe a few months younger than me or a little older than me. He used to come to school in diapers all the time not pull-ups or pull-on real tape diapers. When he sat down in his chair you were able to see a little showing above his shorts or jeans and some times when he did wear shorts you were able to see the diaper through the leg openings. Some of the other kids gave him a hard time. some of the kids

I went to A special needs school, each classroom had A bathroom-changing room.

Reactions: Rezzu and KrankyPants
jeffeybug said:
I went to A special needs school, each classroom had A bathroom-changing room.
I had a few classes like that...
Still ended up going to the nurses office myself (lots of issues besides ic) but sure seemed to be a big convenience for quite a few other kids.

DiaperedAndDamp said:
I started school in the late sixties, when pull-ups and disposable diapers were not yet around. I had wetting accidents ... not "floods", just quite regular small leaks. My mom was understanding and supportive, but I know my dad was ashamed of me, although he never said as much or punished me for it in any way.

When I started school I wore plastic pants with an old cloth baby diaper folded in the crotch. Later when I was a young teenager in school I wore PVC "Sandra Incontinence Pants" (I remember what it said on the boxes!) with a disposable insert pad. I can remember feeling the plastic sticking to my skin at the sides where there was no padding.

I actually don't remember anyone ever finding out ... or at least if they did, they didn't say anything. Anyway, thus started a fascination/fixation with plastic pants that never left me to this day!
I wore panties to school starting when I was 10 or 11. I knew I was a girl inside but nobody would listen to me. When I got to grade 6 I was in the school choir and as a lead soprano I was out in front and very nervous most of the time. I always seemed to need the bathroom in the middle of a performance or practise so I strted to wear plastic pants over my panties. I already had a fasination for plastic pants and this was a good reason to continue. There was one time when I leaned forward to ask the person in front if I could borrow something and I felt a tug on my plastic pants from behind. I looked around to see the girl behind me smiling as fear crept into my mind. She just whispered "walk me home after school and we will talk". She wanted to know why I was wearing the plastic pants and I told her about my nervous wetting accidents during choir. Of course she wanted to see so when we got to her house I had to show her and I was not wearing underwear at the time. That led to another conversation and a new friendship for us.

• Love
Reactions: ARBBB2, nwm and DiaperedAndDamp
I wore nappies in infants at primary school. My Mum had tried hard to potty train me before school, but it didn’t work as I hated using school toilets

After a few weeks of accidents in my undies it was agreed between my Mum and school that I could wear nappies.

I don’t remember being bullied, but i do remember feeling embarrassed and trying to make sure nobody could see them when changing for PE etc

Most embarrassing part was that the classroom assistant in reception class had to change me in a carpeted area in the reception class. She was always very kind when I was sent to be changed, but I remember in year two feeling really anxious that the younger kids could see me being changed. I think that embarrassment encouraged me to get out of nappies by year 3 - but accidents continued through the remainder of primary school

My equivalent of elementary school was primary school, which at the time was grades 1 through 7. I was in diapers through grade 2 and training pants through grade 3 (late potty training), and then I was in diapers from about the second half of grade 6 through the end of primary school.

What did your friends and classmates think of your diapers? When I had friends, they didn't seem to think much about them either way. My classmates were usually horrible about them, but it was more of a general horribleness toward me than a specific "persecute the kid in diapers" campaign.

How did everyone feel once you finished training? I dunno, everyone seemed pretty happy. The first time I was out of diapers, between grade 3 and grade 6, I was fine with it too because I had pretty solid continence. (The second time I got out of diapers my continence wasn't as good, and I was super aware of it, which is ultimately what led me back here.)

Were you accommodated in any way? I don't know if "accommodated" is the word. I was provided with support facilities, but I did have to make sacrifices to access them; I had to go to the school nurse to get changed, and generally I had to either sacrifice some break time or some class time. I was also exempted from some things, like swimming, but I think that was more because they couldn't find an OH&S-compliant way to accommodate me at the time. The two really notable accommodations I got were being able to leave class to be changed whenever it was necessary, and being able to take exams alone.

How did your parents feel about sending you to school in diapers? How did you feel about wearing a diaper? By the time I got to school I had long since failed toilet training (the first time) and there was pretty much an assumption that I was never going to develop continence. I have other developmental disabilities (which I can mask, but couldn't at that age) and I think my parents just counted themselves lucky that I was somehow in a mainstream schooling environment. I was vaguely aware that not many other kids were wearing diapers and that it was weird, but I couldn't really relate that to myself because, like my parents, I just assumed I was never going to leave diapers.

When I had to go back into diapers, my parents, again, assumed it was permanent and seemed pretty chill about it. They did use it as a form of leverage over me but they weren't specifically pissed off at me being incontinent and how "disgusting" it was, just about how much "time" and "energy" I took up (because of circumstances and a dynamic they created). That time, I felt pretty bad about having to wear diapers to school because I had been proud of being toilet-trained and didn't want to have to deal with losing my independence again.

Did you have any classmates who also needed diapers? At the school I was at in grades 1-3, yes, one. At the school I was at in grades 6+, no.

Reactions: Freddie07601
Atomic01 said:
awkward!!!!
On a support forum like this?
Seems to me, mybe a little, but not much differant than a docor aaking about speciffics on a ic issue (and btw, yes that has gone back to as far as I could remember before - some not sure why it would matter to a doctor now, but nbd either).

You forget about it, and then wonder if somebody noticed when you just adjusted your pants!

Kaliborio said:
My equivalent of elementary school was primary school, which at the time was grades 1 through 7. I was in diapers through grade 2 and training pants through grade 3 (late potty training), and then I was in diapers from about the second half of grade 6 through the end of primary school.

What did your friends and classmates think of your diapers? When I had friends, they didn't seem to think much about them either way. My classmates were usually horrible about them, but it was more of a general horribleness toward me than a specific "persecute the kid in diapers" campaign.

How did everyone feel once you finished training? I dunno, everyone seemed pretty happy. The first time I was out of diapers, between grade 3 and grade 6, I was fine with it too because I had pretty solid continence. (The second time I got out of diapers my continence wasn't as good, and I was super aware of it, which is ultimately what led me back here.)

Were you accommodated in any way? I don't know if "accommodated" is the word. I was provided with support facilities, but I did have to make sacrifices to access them; I had to go to the school nurse to get changed, and generally I had to either sacrifice some break time or some class time. I was also exempted from some things, like swimming, but I think that was more because they couldn't find an OH&S-compliant way to accommodate me at the time. The two really notable accommodations I got were being able to leave class to be changed whenever it was necessary, and being able to take exams alone.

How did your parents feel about sending you to school in diapers? How did you feel about wearing a diaper? By the time I got to school I had long since failed toilet training (the first time) and there was pretty much an assumption that I was never going to develop continence. I have other developmental disabilities (which I can mask, but couldn't at that age) and I think my parents just counted themselves lucky that I was somehow in a mainstream schooling environment. I was vaguely aware that not many other kids were wearing diapers and that it was weird, but I couldn't really relate that to myself because, like my parents, I just assumed I was never going to leave diapers.

When I had to go back into diapers, my parents, again, assumed it was permanent and seemed pretty chill about it. They did use it as a form of leverage over me but they weren't specifically pissed off at me being incontinent and how "disgusting" it was, just about how much "time" and "energy" I took up (because of circumstances and a dynamic they created). That time, I felt pretty bad about having to wear diapers to school because I had been proud of being toilet-trained and didn't want to have to deal with losing my independence again.

Did you have any classmates who also needed diapers? At the school I was at in grades 1-3, yes, one. At the school I was at in grades 6+, no.

My child used to go to the toilet all the time until he was 12 and then it was embarrassing when he came out. In primary school, I was always standing under the door to accompany my child to school. Then we switched to home schooling because many people started to bully him. The child was clever but health problems forced us to take this route. Later, when exams were due, he was offered an early test to allow time for treatment.

Back