What was it like to wear diapers in Elementary School?

had a buddy who kept pooping and we all had to evacuate the room lol i saw his pullups in the nurses office i was so jelous and drawn to them and at 5/6 yrs old i had no clue why lmao

• Haha
Reactions: KrankyPants
diaperedracer said:
It’s not as glamorous as you might think. I still sometimes wore pull ups in kindergarten, occasionally would be put in a diaper. Kids that knew definitely teased me. Luckily I changed schools in the middle of first grade when my family moved. Now once I hit middle school and liked wearing diapers, I’d wear goodnites a few times on non gym days and would go unnoticed, but I atleast controlled that
try wearing in highscool 😂 one time a kid was like "nice wet spot" & the teacher wouldnt let me go to the bathroom to change 😑

• Wow
Reactions: KrankyPants
caitianx said:
Despite my wetting/pooping issues in Elementary School, I was never allowed to wear diapers/plastic pants, period.
I just had to "sit in it" until I got home.
Same here I had to sit in my messed pants too, which felt fine just embarrassing

Well, my years in elementary/middle school were hell on earth but It doesn't evolve diapers at all. Also when I was growing up I was like 2 years behind in body development in comparison to other kids and very skinny so easy target for bulling. I was potty trained way earlier than most people and wetting the bed just a few times, but for some reason I wet myself one time at school where some kids saw it and started bullying me from that day, when I went to bathroom they would start kicking the door or throwing stuff over the door to scare me, so I developed I strong case of paruresis where I was unable to pee if other people were close to me.

For years I would avoid drinking liquids, going to school trips/sleepovers, sometimes I would end up in a situation where it was difficult to concentrate because I needed to pee but I just couldn't, so much pain, I would need to keep constant watch of bathroom and make sure no kid was going in, and sometimes I was about to make it and someone would enter the bathroom and ruin everything, all my free time in school was used for this. So many times I went through a whole class wanting to pee, was very painful, by the end my body would be so used to this, that I would only pee one time in school which was lunch time. Fortunately the paruresis got less severe in high school and the bathrooms were more private.

• Wow
Reactions: neophyte, JOCKMAN and 2012Stroke
tidalk said:
Well, my years in elementary/middle school were hell on earth but It doesn't evolve diapers at all. Also when I was growing up I was like 2 years behind in body development in comparison to other kids and very skinny so easy target for bulling. I was potty trained way earlier than most people and wetting the bed just a few times, but for some reason I wet myself one time at school where some kids saw it and started bullying me from that day, when I went to bathroom they would start kicking the door or throwing stuff over the door to scare me, so I developed I strong case of paruresis where I was unable to pee if other people were close to me.

For years I would avoid drinking liquids, going to school trips/sleepovers, sometimes I would end up in a situation where it was difficult to concentrate because I needed to pee but I just couldn't, so much pain, I would need to keep constant watch of bathroom and make sure no kid was going in, and sometimes I was about to make it and someone would enter the bathroom and ruin everything, all my free time in school was used for this. So many times I went through a whole class wanting to pee, was very painful, by the end my body would be so used to this, that I would only pee one time in school which was lunch time. Fortunately the paruresis got less severe in high school and the bathrooms were more private.
That sounds very familiar to me, when I had to switch elementary school that was exactly the same thing. I gotten pretty used to holding it and sitting with legs crossed that I created a too strong bladder and sphincter by the time I got older. I never got used to using the bathroom when there are other people around, not even now.
I'd hide in a stall and wait until everyone left until I would proceed.
A few times did those bullies bang on the door when they suspected i was in , they would also sneak in a stall next to me and crouch to see if I was in there.

Part of this made me intolerant when using a urinal, someone would use the one next to me and start talking :(
I then was completely unable to go at all.
(This was 10 years ago, now i can't use them at all due to incontinence)

Ehorton said:
I’m sorry you’ve been through that. It’s absolutely awful feeling when you end up messing yourself. Even now being in diapers 24/7 I don’t like that feeling. My parents never even proposed the idea of putting me back in diapers rather punished me for having accidents. Looking back I would rather been made fun of being in diapers then what I went through.
Fullpants said:
Same here I had to sit in my messed pants too, which felt fine just embarrassing
I’d get sent to the nurse. Once in loaded training pants the rest in a diaper or pull up. I remember e bed mypqnts being so full. I gues a smaller per person with an adult sized load.. once in a while I’d have a classmate as company.

I’d get punished but made to wear diapers. Sometimes with no pants. Or if I messed my diaper they would take my pants off in case the diaper leaked. Nothing worse than having your mom or dad call you over to check you diaper. Even though it was obvious that hey were full.or being out in vacation and being the onkyone in just a loaded diaper waiting to check in to a hotel.

Fullpants said:
I’d get sent to the nurse. Once in loaded training pants the rest in a diaper or pull up. I remember e bed mypqnts being so full. I gues a smaller per person with an adult sized load.. once in a while I’d have a classmate as company.

I’d get punished but made to wear diapers. Sometimes with no pants. Or if I messed my diaper they would take my pants off in case the diaper leaked. Nothing worse than having your mom or dad call you over to check you diaper. Even though it was obvious that hey were full.or being out in vacation and being the onkyone in just a loaded diaper waiting to check in to a hotel.
Ugh again I’m sorry. I can’t speak to what that must of been like. The embarrassment of being in a position in public. That’s not okay.

I did everything to hide my accidents and thought I was doing a good job till I got the dreaded talk time after time. Why are you pooping in your underwear. Go clean them out. Or worse. Why are you doing this? Yes I’m pooping myself on purpose. 🤦🏻‍♂️ This may be frowned upon but I would have much rather just been in diapers and accepted what came with that. A diaper is so much easier to change then all my clothes.

Reactions: BabyHailey1977
I'm so glad that I've never had bullies kicking the door when I've been in the school toilet! I can't imagine how awful that must of been!

I think it is sad that anyone that needs or even chooses to wear feels embarrassed, my mum always encouraged me that I should not be ashamed of myself or my body. Having said that as I got older there were moments of embarrassment at times.

Reactions: Rezzu and nwm
Here's a kind of "rule" that you have to be potty trained;
when you go to elementaryschool /kindergarten.

Dutchone said:
No you don’t

Dutchone said:
Actually - a lot believe that, they sure would like it that way - but not truly "required", and even if it were, there is still always going to be a few. You definitely can not deny over a medical issue, and that is what the problem with me was - 100% medical - with full documented proof.

Reactions: DropBearAu
I started the first grade wearing diapers and rubber pants to school. I wasn't yet potty trained, even though my mom was trying to get me to not wet my pants. I don't know if anyone else wore diapers, that was so long ago, in the early 50's. We lived only a few houses from school and mom walked me to school and walked me home at lunch time so she could change my diapers, feed me, and walk me back for the afternoon. I finally stopped wetting my pants before the second grade, but continued to wet my bed at night and have accidents during the day. My bedwetting continued until I was 17 and I was diapered for bed until then. My sister had similar wetting problems and also wore diapers and rubber pants to first grade.

Reactions: neophyte
nwm said:
Actually - a lot believe that, they sure would like it that way - but not truly "required", and even if it were, there is still always going to be a few. You definitely can not deny over a medical issue, and that is what the problem with me was - 100% medical - with full documented proof.
as unfortunate as it seems, in Belgium some schools refuse children who are not potty trained and still in diapers. Not all though. But most make it very clear they prefer your child is potty trained during the day for being ready to go to school (starting from age 3)

winterheart01 said:
as unfortunate as it seems, in Belgium some schools refuse children who are not potty trained and still in diapers. Not all though. But most make it very clear they prefer your child is potty trained during the day for being ready to go to school (starting from age 3)
Well you are talking about a totally different country (and even in the US there are things that can be VERY different depending on what state), but either way, you did indicate there is still some choice, it just might require going elsewhere. And idk (maybe you would?) even there - just what about legit well documented medical issues, so not a case of just didn't bother, or not completed - medically can not be done - in my case due to nerve damage that was there since birth - NOTHING anyone can do about it.

nwm said:
Well you are talking about a totally different country (and even in the US there are things that can be VERY different depending on what state), but either way, you did indicate there is still some choice, it just might require going elsewhere. And idk (maybe you would?) even there - just what about legit well documented medical issues, so not a case of just didn't bother, or not completed - medically can not be done - in my case due to nerve damage that was there since birth - NOTHING anyone can do about it.
When the parents provide medical documents that the child is incontinent then unfortunately they refer them to a special needs school :(
Sounds weird and unfair but that's how it goes here, most schools don't want to waste time with changing diapers.
I find it unfair because the child gets a different education regardless of their capabilities, they teach you things for simple jobs while a good portion of those kids are actually very intelligent and don't belong there, they just required some help with either diaper changing or motor skills, that's all.
I did hear that in kindergarten (school for ages 3 - 5) some schools who can afford it, have an assistant who changes diapers or changes the clothes in case the child has no diapers when there's an accident.

winterheart01 said:
When the parents provide medical documents that the child is incontinent then unfortunately they refer them to a special needs school :(
Sounds like you just have to hope you are in a weathy area then, that stinks - use that is useful for some, but due to IC alone, or even a lot of other issues, as long as there is nothing badly wrong with the brain, that could hinder more than help! :mad:

Only time I actually wore a diaper in school was when I had really bad bowel accidents for about a week and was given the option. If pooping my pants or using diapers. I obviously chose the smart option and sore the diaper. Which during that week somebody dropped one of their pull ups on the ground and I happened to pick it up discreetly and returned it to her. We ended up dating for about 6 months in grade 9.

Reactions: ronnieM and DropBearAu
nwm said:
Sounds like you just have to hope you are in a weathy area then, that stinks - use that is useful for some, but due to IC alone, or even a lot of other issues, as long as there is nothing badly wrong with the brain, that could hinder more than help! :mad:
I know, a lot of people that didn't belong there ended up going to special needs school because they had some sort of physical disability, despite being mentally perfectly normal or even very intelligent.
It really impacted their future career because not all employers like to hire people from special needs even though they get fundings from the government to hire such people. Some therefore went to university afterwards to get a doctorate degree (or whatever this is called in english) just to be able to get a good paying job.
To give an example: someone in my town with spina bifida, perfectly normal intelligence, ended up working in a bar from a swimming pool and when his legs got worse he was offered a job in the town hall for some minor work, but never did he get the proper education or job for something that payed better :(

Last edited:
winterheart01 said:
I know, a lot of people that didn't belong there ended up going to special needs school because they had some sort of physical disability, despite being mentally perfectly normal or even very intelligent.
It really impacted their future career because not all employers like to hire people from special needs even though they get fundings from the government to hire such people. Some therefore went to university afterwards to get a doctorate degree (or whatever this is called in english) just to be able to get a good paying job.
To give an example: someone in my town with spina bifida, perfectly normal intelligence, ended up working in a bar from a swimming pool and when his legs got worse he was offered a job in the town hall for some minor work, but never did he get the proper education or job for something that payed better :(
In the US, it’s hard to qualify for caregiver services that allow me to work unless I am very poor and stay that way. My care is more then $100,000 a year and there are still gaps. And yes, I have a masters degree and minimal employment

• Sad
Reactions: winterheart01
Back