• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

What makes a good teddy bear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thad

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Myself? I want one for cuddling. This means;
I want a teddy that's at least as big as my torso.
I want a teddy that doesn't have ribbons or bows or anything else that might be scratchy. If the bow is really soft, that's ok.
I want a teddy with enough body that I can give it a good strong hug and not feel like I'm hugging a limp rag.

and if I can get that and still ask for more, machine washable would be awesome.

Do you guys have stuffed animals? What makes a great stuffed animal?

-- Thad

S

Secret

Thad I would definitely recommend you go to Build A Bear Workshop.
Build-A-Bear Workshop-United States: Home Page

I want a teddy that's at least as big as my torso.
I want a teddy that doesn't have ribbons or bows or anything else that might be scratchy. If the bow is really soft, that's ok.
I want a teddy with enough body that I can give it a good strong hug and not feel like I'm hugging a limp rag.
You seem to want your teddy bear to be to your exact specifications so you should probably go here and just make it yourself .Its a great place, I loved it when I was little.

Also I would recommend The Vermont Teddy Bear Company, they seem to be pretty good to.
http://www.vermontteddybear.com/Default.aspx?bhcp=1

Another good source for plushies and teddy bears is Ebay eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices and your local thrift store, just be sure to wash it twice and it will be fine. shopgoodwill.com - Welcome

Really the thing with teddy bears is that you need to feel a connection with them you cant just think of it as an object that you buy its your buddy to huggle and snuggle with and be awesome! In fact I still sleep with my teddy bear when my parents are out of town, its great to wake up to just you holding your teddy bear close and just cuddle the heck out of him.

Also here are some other links that are useful.
Collecting Teddy bearsTeddy Bears at Teddybears.com
The history of the teddy bear History of the Teddy Bear

--Secret--

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I have two plushies:

Jax a white puppy with purple paws
Mofasa A lion.

Mofasa is great for hugging while Jax is good for petting. While i'm sleeping Mofasa lays on my futon and watches the room and Jax sits on my headboard protecting me from monsters and bad people. :)

D

daria7483

Build-a-Bear is pretty cool, but it can be expensive to get anything beyond just the basic bear. Though it sounds like that might be all you need.

I've got a bunch of stuffed animals, more than I really know what to do with, really. I don't have many requirements, just that they be cute and fairly soft. Usually I tend to love them more for who gave them to me. Someday I'll post pics of my two favorite teddy bears, Rosemary and Yoshi.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Attractiveness and cuteness first then size. I agree larger is better to sleep & cuddle with. I have have life sized dolls. See teddybabes dot com or realdoll dot com or candyeighteen dot com or boytoydolls dot com. (18+ sites) They can be concidered sex toys but for me and very many others their major use is sleep cuddly companion.

pajamakitten

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Carer
it needs to large enough to cuddle and soft as possible, and your right ribbons ruin the softness

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Thad, like you I also live in Los Angeles County. When I was a child a couple of times a year my folks would drive us kids to a store in Burbank called "It's A Zoo" that specialized in soft animal toys. It was fairly close to the real Los Angeles Zoo. Unfortunately that store closed. My personal koala, Eukie, was adopted from It's A Zoo when I was almost 12.

Most of my larger soft toys I adopted from thrift stores. My husband and I sometimes drive up to Lancaster and Palmdale because the selection in thrift stores there is so good. But we also have found wonderful soft toys at a re-sell shop in Pasadena on Hill just north of Washington. Chances are all of us have similar stores near us.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I'm a fan of plushies, but to be honest, I don't think a teddy is my favourite. I would prefer other animals - like cats or dragons. I suppose what makes them good depends what you want from them.

With plushies to snuggle they have to be realitively big, otherwise it isn't really comfortable. It also helps if they are really soft. I brought a new plushie recently, a penguin who has been named Tux (it sounds cute, and every single computer geek assumes that is what it is called before I tell them).

My other plushies are smaller and not really suitable for snuggling. When I am having some proper *B time, however, I find that I like to pet them and talk to them - perhaps because they are ones from when I was little. I have found that the one I was attached to most when little is the one I am least attached too now. I just can't snuggle him. Way too small :frown:

Rissy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I have my lovable Totoro...
He's large enough to be huggable, and I can sleep with him. And he's cute. His whiskers fell out though T_T. I keep them stored away 'cause I don't want to lose them. A life size Totoro plushie would be awesome... But hopelessly impractical to make... Y_Y

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
A life size Totoro plushie would be awesome... But hopelessly impractical to make... Y_Y
Oh god I would LOVE that, nearly anyone could sleep on his belly then! (see avatar for scale of the full size Totoro to that of a 4 year old.)

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I think I'll put it like this:

"Teddy bear quality is in the arms of the holder." (hopefully everyone will see my adaptation of the common phrase here ;)

Honestly, a plushie is all about personal enjoyment. You want a plushie that makes you feel good...it's going to be different to everyone. You may value size, or squeezability, or texture, or cuteness...or all kinds of things.

I've found ebay to be pretty good, since there's a wide variety and you can look at pictures of plushies to get an idea of what they're like. And I got both of my teddies used by someone else...they were no worse for the wear.

But...sometimes it takes some trial and error. Just don't give up until you've found your perfect little buddy!

Mystika said:
A life size Totoro plushie would be awesome...
What about a plush catbus? ;)

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
I have my stuffed Shamus from SeaWorld, all have their own personalities and charms. I still have my first one my aunts got for me in '80 at the old Ohio SeaWorld that is now closed down.

I didn't have as many stuffed killer whales growing up as I do now. I have a whole pod of them and to me, they are far more special to me than a teddy bear could ever be. Mainly cause I have always loved killer whales, and they've always been a comfort for me.

I have a few that are very special to me, one is named Petunia that my Aunt sent me while she was stationed in San Diego in the Navy, and one named Copernicus I got at the Ohio SeaWorld in '96 who was there for me during my cancer scare in 1999. Back when I started working, I decided to buy Copernicus a mate, named Lola off of eBay. I felt he was lonely when I was not around... Corny I know, ok so shoot me. lol

Well, I have had fun perusing eBay for stuffed killer whales, and adding more and more to my ever growing pod.

My whales are special to me. Always will be.

WildThing121675

AbsoluteBedlam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
This may sound stupid but... personality. For me I need a plushie that has some type of personality or character to it, or at least one that I can instill a personality in.

Being large enough for a fully grown adult male to cuddle with is definitely a plus as well. Currently I sleep with a rather large blue stuffed bunny that I recently acquired. Prior to that it was a large stuffed Meowth from Pokemon.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Carer
I have a giant Care Bear (named Baxter, after Anchorman) and the thing I love most about him is how huggable his neck is. His head is huge, then it's the perfect width around the neck and shoulders, then he has a big ol' belly. Plus, he's firm without being stiff.

The giant Care Bears are perfection for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.