What makes a diaper a diaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaliborio

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I'd say it's the tapes and the thickness, so things like Depends super underwear or Tena pants are actually just incontinence products and not, properly speaking, diapers. ;)

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Diapers are diapers. You can be broad about it, by calling any absorbent incontinent thing a diaper, or you can be more specific. I haven't really thought about them enough to name them.

Crinkly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
In addition to tapes and thickness:

The crinkliness, the babyish look and fit, the baby powder scent, and of course, the functionality for its intended purpose. I agree, underwear like products aren't really diapers, even though they're sometimes used instead.

Slycamer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
well when i will often just say diapers when i mean a pull-up but there is a difference tapes are diapers and a pull-up is a pull-up

goodnites2002

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Sofar people are doing an excellent job in what makes a diaper, a diaper... for me, a diaper is not complete without leak guards.

Role
  1. Other
Thick absorbent cloth that you use pins to hold in place, covered by separate waterproof pants.

Or those plastic things with tapes.

Kaliborio

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I've always liked disposables, really. When I move out I might buy myself a couple of cloth diapers.

Role
  1. Other
A diaper is whatever we want to call it...

I think that "diaper" starts above pads and garment belts...and starts w/ pullups.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
Diapers are those things that we wear, especially when we're babies, to keep us from peeing all over the floor. They are anything that holds said stuff until we dispose of them, or put them in the wash. Many think of diapers as, 'those things babies wear.' But we all know that's not just the case. :p

Dark Bringer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Something that covers the same amount as whitey tightie underwear but is smooth and shiny. Has some thickness and soft padding. Opens on the sides with tapes. Looks like a rectangle at first before unfolding so it has a shapeshifter aspect. Made out of plastic unlike just about every other article of clothing.
Being born in the 80's, I probably would not have recognized cloth diapers for what they were until very recently. They just look like a folded towell or padded underwear. The shiny plastic is what makes a diaper unique to me.

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
To me a diaper is an article of clothing that is worn as an undergarment and designed to contain urine and feces. The thing is if you pull it up to put it on, it's a pullup, not a diaper.

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
I think this question really means "What makes a diaper a REAL diaper" or "What makes a diaper a good diaper, or what a diaper should be." It's like when people ask "What makes a burger a burger?" or "What makes a Ferrari a Ferrari?" Sure, you can classify things as burgers or Ferraris, but some people will always think "Yeah, but those things are just burgers or Ferraris in name and in theory...but to me, they're not really a burger or Ferrari".

Because this is something that's different for everybody. I mean, sure, a cloth covered Pampers baby diaper of course is an actual diaper, but it means just about nothing to me.

So yeah...for me, it has to have a soft inside, a plastic cover, and has to make me feel babyish, or cuddly and cute.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
To me a diaper is an article of clothing that is worn as an undergarment and designed to contain urine and feces. The thing is if you pull it up to put it on, it's a pullup, not a diaper.

Does that mean underwear is considered a really thin pull-up? XD

What makes a diaper for me? Well, if it's snug and thick, that's good for me. :D

Crinkly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Made out of plastic unlike just about every other article of clothing.

Totally agree, that is one of the key aspects of a diaper. Otherwise, it just doesn't seem diaperish enough.

Being born in the 80's, I probably would not have recognized cloth diapers for what they were until very recently. They just look like a folded towel or padded underwear. The shiny plastic is what makes a diaper unique to me.

Lucky you - you got to wear them when diapers were diapers, when all disposables were plastic on the outside and were gradually getting thicker just before they started getting thinner. :graduate:

I thought of another reason the other day why I prefer plastic backed diapers. And this is a practical one. When sleeping in a diaper, the plastic cover facilitates moving around and changing positions, since it just glides so wonderfully across the sheets. I love sliding my butt into or out of bed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.