What languages do you speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I envy all of you in the UK and Europe, you have alot more opportunities to learn stuff from different countryies we don't get that in America but you think we would considering all the people that come to live here throughout the world.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
It's just a matter of desire. If you don't want to learn a second language here in Europe, you can easily dodge it in school. But true, you do get to learn english either way. So as long as you don't live in the UK or Ireland, you'll at least have two languages. There's got to exist good chances of learning things like spanish and portoguese in the states, am I wrong?

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
There's got to exist good chances of learning things like spanish and portoguese in the states, am I wrong?
Spanish, yes. There are several dialects of Spanish common in my part of the country; immigrants from Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Central America are all part of the community. Mexicans are less common here in the northeast but moreso in the southwest.

French (as in Haitian Creole) is another common language in my little corner of the country, as are Polish, Hebrew and Yiddish.

Portuguese? not very much.

I speak only English, but recognize a few words in others (like those mentioned above) and I'd like to learn Russian and Italian.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
English, obviously, and at school I learnt German.
I can't exactly speak German though (although I did attempt to have a conversation once with another German student, in German, and that actually sort of worked. She just pronounced "Ich" really weirdly. :p),
Excellent. I shall test your German in Manchester then next week :D I'll also test your pronunciation of the German word for "peach" (Pfirsich) - MarkFox hasn't managed to get it right to this day! :eek:

I envy all of you in the UK and Europe, you have alot more opportunities to learn stuff from different countryies we don't get that in America but you think we would considering all the people that come to live here throughout the world.
It's just a matter of desire. If you don't want to learn a second language here in Europe, you can easily dodge it in school.
You can't dodge foreign languages in Germany. Learning English is a requirement for every student, starting in grade 5 in most states. And if you want to attend university, you must show proof that you've learned a second foreign language.
However, my particular school specialized in languages, that's why I took that many.

Peachy

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I at the moment use:
Engish (Native language)
Dutch (Learned at age of 4-5)

Other then that I suck in:
French (3 years in school)
German (2 years in school)
Latin (2 years in school, although I can't "speak" it...just translate it)
Ancient Greek (1 year in school, although I can't "speak" it...just translate it and that is even really bad.)

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I speak English and French, NOT American! :-D

I also know several phrases in Spanish, Italian, Gaeilge (Irish), Arabic, Urdu.

Role
Peachy, that is intersting!
In Sweden you can't dodge english. But I chose advanced english instead of a third language. It's pretty common here. Lately though I picked up russian, and I do have 2 years of german behind me. Sorry for sounding like I knew how all of europe is like =)

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
OK

English - Mother Tongue

French (5 years, have stopped studying)
German (5 years, intend to carry on with at uni)

+ I currently own books to learn, but don't know more than a few words

Italian, Spanish, Welsh, Czech, Polish, Russian, Modern Greek, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Latin, Swahili and Norweigan.

I am slightly obsessive.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I speak english and jiberish, but nobody understand my jiberish, I can't understand why!

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I speak English of course. I also speak a little bit of German. I learned it while doing 2 tours over there in the Army. The Army had a program called Head Start that was 2 weeks long and you learned some German language ,but most important they tought you German and European customs and courtesies. And you got payed to do this(your tax dollars at work). The best part is that you got to spend a couple of days in the nearest large German city. The City I got to go to was Trier the oldest city in Germany. As a history buff I was like a kid in the candy store(or a DL in a medical supply store). I feel very fortunate to have spent better than 6 years of my life over in Europe. I made sure that I had a good time too. While on my second tour in the mid 90s I got involved with Kontact. This the German American friendship club. It is also sponsored by the US Army. So for someone to say that they did not have a good time while stationed over seas in Europe I don't understand how they could. There is just so much to see and do and also people to meet. You see for the most part Germans like everyone else in the world are good people and welcome us there. Well I think that I have gone on long enough so thanks for putting this thread here.:smile::smile:

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
English(naaa jockin I dont speek Emaricanish)
read french kinda
Spanish
and I could curse people out in I don't know how many.

Last edited:
Y

Yumi

English, Japanese, can read French..

Studying:
Mostly:
MANDARIN Chinese, Korean

Studying:
Hardly:
Vietnamese, Tagalog (Filipino)

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
English...And a little bit of Spanish...Hardly any even though I took 4 years of it
Same here. Except I know a little French.... but even less than I know Spanish, so it's not really worth mentioning.
I suck at languages. :(

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
My daughter tries to get me into learning Japanese with her, but I don't have the time to devote to learning another language right now. I'll stick with just knowing English for now though I'd like to learn German again.

~Pramrider

Takkun

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
lol I know English, and some more English, and like 3 sentences in Spanish -.-... Although I am taking Spanish next year so I'll FINALLY learn a foreign language.

Where I live, Spanish is no longer foreign. :dodgy:

I took up to German 3 in high school, but stopped about 3 years ago. I have retained basic sentence formation, and general numbers, colors, basic places, etc, but not much else.

I would really like to take it again, and would like to visit my in-laws who still live there.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
I currently speak (and write) in:
Italian (motherlanguage)
Milan dialect ("motherdialect")
English (learned at school since I was 8 y/o, plus some trips to Britain)

Then I had two years of German as "extra activity" when I was 13-14 y/o, I remember enough of it to have a basic conversation but I must sound damn ridiculous if listened by German ears....

I also don't have particular problems expressing myself in other latin-based languages like Spanish or French, although I never studied them and what I say is mostly based upon listening to other people speaking it and... improvising. :tongueout:

Oh, and I've been a couple of times to Russia and learned the correspondences between Cirillic and European characters... does it count? :D

TB4eva

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I speak some german some fraises enigh to get by in germany order food get direction etc. very very very basic french.

cpndl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I took Danish in college. I still speak a little bit, but I mostly use the written word, both in my hobby and some in my work.

cpndl

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I speak English and I'm going on my fourth year of Spanish. And after that, I'll be learning German.

Icey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Little, Carer
English & only that!! Nothing against other languages, I plan to live out my life in the USA, so no real need to learn anything else!!

Status
Not open for further replies.