What languages do you speak?

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
What languages do you speak? If you can only speak English, what languages would you like to learn? I wanted to make this so we can share our experiences and learn from each other.

The first language I had an interest in learning was Japanese. While I had some exposure to the language through anime, what really got me hooked was when I took a World Cultures class in the 6th grade. It was supposed to be six cultures in six weeks but we enjoyed Japan so much that's what the class became. I enjoyed listening to Japanese music and watching anime in Japanese for many years but it wasn't until a friend who was an English teacher in Korea heard me talking about how much I wanted to learn Japanese and he gave me a bunch of books for learning Japanese and Korean. I've made some decent progress as I was able to learn Hiragana (ひらがな) and Katakana (カタカナ) within two months and I can now write and identify around 60 Kanji (漢字) but I suck at grammar.

I got introduced to German in my freshman year of high school after hearing Rammstein's "Bück Dich" in a Naruto amv. German was the first language that I was tempted to learn in school but unfortunately when I went to sign up for classes for the next year, they canceled German due to the teacher leaving. I know a little of the language but can't hold a conversation. I've experienced the language enough were I can read just about anything put in front of me but I have little to no idea what I'm saying.

Those are the only languages I've put effort into trying to learn but I know bits and pieces of Korean, and Norwegian through music.

Japanese
-Maximum the Hormone
-Flow
-Man with a Mission

German
-Rammstein
-Eisbrecher
-Kraftwerk

Korean
PSY
Super Junior
SHINee

Norwegian
-TIX & The Pøssy Project
-Katastrofe
-Innertier
-HEUX

I speak American English*. I took German in High School and can understand some and speak some. I know a little Japanese, and Spanish.

Now I am also versed in some Latin and Greek for biology and Medical terminology. I am getting quite versed in reading numbers in multiple languages for my coin collecting.

* I speak the standard language of the west coast of the USA. I also grew up and speak "country" which was brought to my attention by a gentleman from Iran that was learning English after he fled to our county in 1983. He could never understand why people would kill a male cow and drink dish water when I said after work I was going to "shot the bull and suck some suds."

Last edited:
Well, German is my native language and I do speak English.
I was taught English from fifth to tenth grade when I left school. Then I skipped and avoided English language for a couple of years (8-9 years).
A computer game and a large add-on editor base, which spoke English exclusively, got me back to it. I would start to edit add-ons along guides provided by this base on a trial & error basis.
A few years past that re-introduction I was made aware of an interesting book, which was available in English language only. My interest in it was big enough to buy and read it but it would take four times, often with a German-English dictionary on one knee and the book on the other. Personally, I probably gained the most from the 3rd and 4th re-read because it was then, when I started to pen unknown vocabulary as well as unknown phrases to a piece of paper and researched their German meanings, which again I'd pen down. Basically, a form of learning vocabulary.
Almost at the same time I found that English tv and radio channels were easy to receive with a sat-dish over here, so I installed a bigger one and pointed it to the British tv satelite.
I usually looked for tv programs with rather slow and clean speakers and would record some. I re-watched recorded programs until I understood their content and would start to speak it.
Since then, I've been reading, speaking and writing English on a regular basis. Ongoing training, as I call it.

I'd love to learn French but it would be starting from zero rather than having artefacts of memory.

My mother tongue is also German and I started learning English in grade 5 as well, along with Latin. I dropped Latin after grade 10, but I can more or less understand a text written in Latin even now.
In grade 8 I started learning French and despite what my mother would say, I do understand quite a bit of it. Latin gave me a good basis for the vocabulary, so even though I ignored the grammar a bit, it was pretty easy to pick up.
Somewhere around grade 7 or 8 I took a course in Japanese, though sadly I don't remember a lot if any of it. I can identify Japanese when I hear it, but I couldn't form a sentence.
In grade 11 I went abroad for a year, to Taiwan, where I started learning Mandarin Chinese, but also improved my English a lot thanks to other exchange students from the USA and Canada. Sadly I unlearned a lot of French during this year.
Now, in University, I'm continuing learning Chinese, and this August I will return to Taiwan for another year to advance my language skills even further.

So...based on skill levels, I would rank my languages:
-German (duh)
-English (I'm pretty much fluent)
-Chinese (I can hold a simple conversation, order food, go shopping)
-French (a bit worse than my Chinese by now)
-Latin

I speak Australia(Aussie)
Yeah, nah it's an official laungauge.
"Going down to the bottlo to geta few beers for Jonos' Barbie"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Preciouslitlboy
I speak English, Spanish and Spanglish :p

Am also currently learning French in college.

Would like to learn Japanese or ASL (if that counts)

Justo said:
I speak Australia(Aussie)
Yeah, nah it's an official laungauge.
"Going down to the bottlo to geta few beers for Jonos' Barbie"
lol thats not an language ... its just english lol

I can speak English and Spanish fluently. I can also speak a small amount of Russian.

I can speak English , mandarin and a little Japanese.

I speak the queens English ;)

parcelboy2 said:
I speak the queens English ;)
ugh... english is english Jesus...

Preciouslitlboy said:
ugh... english is english Jesus...
Not it’s not! FFs :rolleyes: UK and USA English are totally different , different names for stuff and different spellings and pronoucinations for letters and words
You do lead a sheltered life if you think English is English one size fits all
I’m from southern England and the way I talk is totally different to the way a man speaks from Gladgow in Scotland or my work mate who comes from the West Midlands

Last edited:
Reactions: Osthagen, egor, Andybun and 1 other person
I speak the language of love :cool:
No serious, I am not fluent in that language...

I am Dutch so, yes, I speak Dutch. My English is quite good (I hope).

I understand German and speak it a little bit, my French is worse. I tried to learn Italian but I have forgotten most of it.
Unfortunately I also forgot almost all of ancient Greece and Latin.

Why are we always learning and studying just to forget the most of it :confused:

Last edited:
parcelboy2 said:
Not it’s not! FFs :rolleyes: UK and USA English are totally different , different names for stuff and different spellings and pronoucinations for letters and words
I’m from southern England and the way I talk is totally different to the way a man speaks from Gladgow in Scotland or my work mate who comes from the West Midlands
the only thing thats different are the sounds... the accents...nothing else :p i always laugh when people say they speak American...!! :p the American Language doesnt exist its : English for fu... sakes haha

Reactions: bounduptoplease
parcelboy2 said:
Try Yorkshire for a change :LOL:

French and English.

I took French in high school and college, but I'm much more fluent in Toddler.

Preciouslitlboy said:
lol thats not an language ... its just english lol
Its a different type of English.

Andybun said:
Try Yorkshire for a change :LOL:
Yer both as tight as each other ;):D

Reactions: Andybun
Back