What is your favourite Hayao Miyazaki Movie?

Which is your favourite Hayao Miyazaki Movie?

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • My Neighbor Totoro

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Kiki's Delivery Service

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Porco Rosso

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Princess Mononoke

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Spirited Away

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Howl's Moving Castle

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

• Other (Post Specific)

• I have no idea who Hayao Miyazaki is.

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hayao Miyazaki is one of my all time favorite film makers. He's brought us Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke and my personal favorite, My Neighbor Totoro just to name a few.

If you have seen Ponyo, how do you think it stacks up to the rest of Hayao Miyazaki's movies? If not, what do you think based off of the trailers?

If you don't know who Hayao Miyazaki is please take the time and watch one of his movies, I guarantee it will warm your heart.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
That's a tough call to make. Tonight I'll say Kiki's Delivery Service, but I haven't seen a movie of his that I haven't enjoyed. Ponyo kind of snuck up on me, but I'll certainly see it. I may well wait to see it on DVD with subtitles, though.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
I've never heard of this person NOR of any of the movies! I must live under a rock!

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Like Trevor said, all of his movies are good...so it's a tough choice. However, the two that I like the most are Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. I think i just really liked the story and characters of those two a lot...they're two of my favorite movies in general, not just by Miyazaki.

I haven't seen Ponyo yet, but I'm not overly excited just because it looks so kiddie...that's not a bad thing, but it's not my favorite aspect of Studio Ghibli movies.

And mm3...you're not out of the loop...a lot of people haven't heard of him or the movies...I first heard of them about five years ago. Basically, they're animated Japanese movies with a bit of an anime style...but not really. I'm not into anime at all and I really love these movies. I would recommend renting/netflixing a few to see how you like them.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Like Trevor said, all of his movies are good...so it's a tough choice. However, the two that I like the most are Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. I think i just really liked the story and characters of those two a lot...they're two of my favorite movies in general, not just by Miyazaki.

I haven't seen Ponyo yet, but I'm not overly excited just because it looks so kiddie...that's not a bad thing, but it's not my favorite aspect of Studio Ghibli movies.

And mm3...you're not out of the loop...a lot of people haven't heard of him or the movies...I first heard of them about five years ago. Basically, they're animated Japanese movies with a bit of an anime style...but not really. I'm not into anime at all and I really love these movies. I would recommend renting/netflixing a few to see how you like them.

Very true, Howl's Moving Castle was the first Miyazaki movie I ever saw, I was fascinated by it. But it's so hard to choose.

MM3 ... you are lucky. You get to experience the magic of these movies for the first time. I don't think I am as passionate about anything as I am about these movies. Just like Teddy, these are some of my favorite movies of all time. These movies are like the Disney movies of Japan and have very similar animation styles. Like Teddy said again, they don't really feel like anime. The best parts are the flying or swimming scenes, that is what Hayao Miyazaki loves to centre his movies around. I hope you take the time to explore these movies :)

Icey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
  6. Carer
I love all of his movies & can only watch them them with Japanese audio with English subtitles!! So, may I say, all? Please!!

cylenrii

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
He indeed makes my favirote cartoons (or anime if they could be considered). I grew up watching al of them over and over. Much different than the average child my age, who would watch more classics such as The lion king and whatnot. His movies always gave me such a great feeling. how relaxing, realistic and active the art and backrounds were, the emotions that were displayed. It sometimes felt close to real, yet it always had that amazing fantasy feel to it.

As for my favirotes. it would definetley be totoro. as its my favirote movie altogether, secondly Kikis deliverey service, its story always touched me.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Very hard to choose here; so I put down Princess Mononoke because that was the first Miyazaki movie I saw.

Movies of his I like:

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

I don't know when i'll see his latest but i'll get around to it. :)

Scratchpaws

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I haven't seen all of his movies, but of the ones that I saw, I'm sort of split between Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro. I love the "Alice in Wonderland" like atmosphere! :smile1:

A

Asher

Miyazaki has many great movies; it is hard to decide on just one. All of them are good.

To really narrow it down though, I have to say "Spirited Away." It's an amazing movie with some great symbolism and a unique story. And as a bonus, it is the highest grossing Japanese movie in history and was also the first anime to ever win an Academy Award.

All of his movies are good though; he's just fantastic. :)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Like there's a contest.. after watching Totoro who hasn't gone online and typed "totoro plushies"?

Needless to say my favorite one is Totoro, though Howl's Moving castle was fun too. I am also really considering seeing Pyono, thankfully it's playing downtown. I think I'll see it next Thursday in the morning hours since school is back in session and many of the adults in the town will be in G.I. Joe and/or District 9.

(and speaking on district 9, it twas awesome)

Kokuei

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
I love Spirited Away And Howls Moving Castle.

I LOVE the Soot Spirits in Spirited and Calcifier in Howls. ^_^ I even have a Soot spirit plushie. and i might make one of Calcifer myself.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
My favorite is the one with the huge animals with shiny skin, and the things talking because of magic.

Fine, it's Princess Mononoke, because there is lots of shooting of guns and slashing of sharp things!

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
How the hell could I choose between Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle? That's impossible.

Ranger

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Like others have said, it is hard to pick just one as your favorite. For me, its a three-way tie between Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke.

Role
  1. Other
I loved Princess Mononoke. It was the first anime movie I had ever watched, so it has some sentimental value as well.

YoungNastyman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I have yet to see Spirited Away (don't lynch me, it's coming in on netflix) or Ponyo (gonna see it this week for sure) but favorite so far was Howls Moving Castle. However, after seeing all the responses of people naming SA as their favorite, once I see it I may change my mind :D

Status
Not open for further replies.