What is your favorite cloth diaper fold?

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I was born in the 60s and was raised in cloth diapers and Gerber plastic pants.

I prefer the kite fold.

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
I mostly wear prefolds, and prefer an "angel wing" fold:

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 9.06.55 PM.png

That's if I'm pinning, anyway. If I'm using a wrap or a pocket diaper, I just fold the sides of the prefold in and use it like an insert. That's sometimes referred to as "pad-folding."

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyric and sbmccue

OldTerry

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Airplane in 48 to 60 inch square cloth nappies

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I tend to go with a modified Origami (bat) fold for ease, I also like the modified Maria's fold and the Pickman fold.

This site has an excellent table of folds with video tutorials.

Last edited:

chuck

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I wear 2 cloth diapers folded in half to 20 inches wide. Then I fold them bikini twist style and 1 pin on each side. I then add waterproof pants. For overnight, I add a pre-fold diaper in the middle as a stuffer.

PuffPuffPaci

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
Wow ..I've got a lot to learn 🤯

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Belarin said:
This site has an excellent table of folds with video tutorials.
It would be interesting to see a similar thing aimed at adults, at least for flat diapers. Unlike adult prefolds, adult flats aren't proportionally larger than the baby kind, so many of the baby folds yield something that's too small to wear.

Reactions: sbmccue and Belarin

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Cottontail said:
It would be interesting to see a similar thing aimed at adults, at least for flat diapers. Unlike adult prefolds, adult flats aren't proportionally larger than the baby kind, so many of the baby folds yield something that's too small to wear.
I've managed to try out a lot of those on that list with a 48" square flat and I have a 39" waist, sure there are some that aren't quite big enough but they can be worked

Reactions: Cottontail

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Belarin said:
I've managed to try out a lot of those on that list with a 48" square flat and I have a 39" waist, sure there are some that aren't quite big enough but they can be worked
48" is a proper adult flat size. Most of what I see sold as "adult" flats are smaller though: 44" down to 36". 44" is workable for some folds. 36" isn't much larger than a baby flat. In fact, there are some 36" baby flats. By the book, a kite fold will give you a length of 30", a back of 40", and a front of 10" (approximately) with a 44" square diaper. I don't much care for those proportions, but they do fit. Origami will give you a length that's half the width of the diaper, though in fairness that's generally regarded as a fold for smaller babies.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Cottontail said:
48" is a proper adult flat size. Most of what I see sold as "adult" flats are smaller though: 44" down to 36". 44" is workable for some folds. 36" isn't much larger than a baby flat. In fact, there are some 36" baby flats. By the book, a kite fold will give you a length of 30", a back of 40", and a front of 10" (approximately) with a 44" square diaper. I don't much care for those proportions, but they do fit. Origami will give you a length that's half the width of the diaper, though in fairness that's generally regarded as a fold for smaller babies.
Yeah it's meant more for newborn/younger babies but I find it fits quite well on the 48" more so than kite for me and it also gives a load of padding up front with a simple modification.

After pulling out the first corner and flipping it over I take the top outer corner of the square (both layers) and fold it to the center (making another triangle) then fold that into 3rds/4ths to make the pad. It removes some of the bulk from the back where I don't need it and adds it to the middle/front where it gets more use. There is a video on youtube somewhere.......... Here at about 3:45, though I tend to bring them down a bit more.

Reactions: Cottontail

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Belarin said:
Here at about 3:45, though I tend to bring them down a bit more.
That's a nice "hack" to keep in mind, heh. I have several yards of bamboo French terry with spandex, 60" width. I should just hem a square of that and call it a diaper. It would be good for experimenting with some of these folds that otherwise wouldn't fit me well. I really don't feel secure in a flat or prefold unless I have at least 30" of length so that it gets past my big butt! :)

Reactions: Belarin

Rita

Padded Rita
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
When I first starting wearing long time ago ! I always use what was called the new paper fold.

Incontinent2

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
My cloth diapers are all prefolds. For the outer one I do the angel wing fold, the inner ones I pad fold with one of them pad folded cross ways to get the thicker part in the crotch fo more absorption down there.

Lyric

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I wear cloth pre-folds exclusively and use the angel wing fold and 3" ducky head diaper pins.