What is That Amazingly Wonderful Smell You Get From Baby and ABU Diapers?!

ABDElsa

TheFrozenABDL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
So I bought a few ABU Diapers, the first two I got scented with the scent strip and I did not like it at all, from far away it smells good but up close it is really overbearing. So, I got two $5 coupons from ABU and used it to order 2 more Diapers, and pay the remainder with my card, but I made sure to get them unscented. When I open the package, both the package and the Diapers have a amazingly wonderful smell.

This may make me a little wierd, but as soon as I take the Diapers out I hold them to my nose and smell them, then I keep the bag for a little bit so that I can stick my nose inside and sniff it, because the scent from the Diapers also scent the bag after being sealed and mailed.

Now what I wanna know is what that wonderful smell is that you get even without the baby fresh scent strips and where it comes from. Is it the plastic they use? Is it the landing zone Diaper Tape? Is it the ink used for the prints? What do they do to these Diapers to make them smell so good without the scent strips?!

Baby Diapers have this too, because I smell it when walking down the toy/Diaper aisle at King Soopers. However, Depend and other incontinence brands do not have this scent, obviously ABU is trying to make their Diapers as close to Baby Diapers as possible, which explains the scent when you take them out of the package. But what is the scent?!

Is it just something that happens with the production of Baby and ABU Diapers? Or do they do something special to them to get that wonderful scent? Remember I'm not talking about the scent strips that you pay extra for, I'm talking about the scent that comes from the Diaper itself when you take it out of the package.

Is it like a new car smell, where they just smell really good because they are fresh and the scent wears off after a while? Or do they actually add something to it during production that makes it smell so good until wet/messed?

Please help provide some insight as to what this scent is, where it comes from, and how it's achieved, because I'm not having much luck finding out what the normal scent of a Baby/ABU Diaper is (not the scent strips), I would really appreciate it, thanks and stay Diapered! :)

Apparently, they use all sorts of dangerous chemicals in producing diapers. Lilial and Lyrol are common perfumes. But exact ingredients are considered trade secrets, so the public has no idea what chemicals are used.

Yeah it could be the same as the new car smell. It may be nice, but really it's off gassing from the many plastics and glues they use. It's actually not so health to be breathing it in. And diapers are definitely made with plastic and glue.

tiny said:
Apparently, they use all sorts of dangerous chemicals in producing diapers. Lilial and Lyrol are common perfumes. But exact ingredients are considered trade secrets, so the public has no idea what chemicals are used.

Wow, very interesting thank you.
Slomo said:
Yeah it could be the same as the new car smell. It may be nice, but really it's off gassing from the many plastics and glues they use. It's actually not so health to be breathing it in. And diapers are definitely made with plastic and glue.
Yikes! I didn't know that! OK, thanks for the advice/warning. :)

Slomo said:

There's definitely that, but the "new car" smell is also created with the use of perfumes sprayed onto cabin components. People love that smell, and it's part of the reason they'll pay over the odds for a brand new car, rather than one a year old.

Singapore Airlines fill the air of their cabin with a "unique scent", and cabin crew are required to wear the brand perfume so everyone smells the same. And supermarkets pump in the smell of freshly-baked bread to give the impression that everything is fresh, and to stimulate appetites.

It's part of creating reliable sense-points that mean that we "feel at home" with the brand. Subconsciously familiar smells make us feel safe, and make us unthinkingly brand-loyal.

Brand Sense by Martin Lindstrom is an AMAZING book that reveals so many of these secrets. I'm a reluctant reader, but I found the book very easy to read, yet very informative. Definitely worth a look if marketing tricks fascinate you as much as they do me! :)

tiny said:
And supermarkets pump in the smell of freshly-baked bread to give the impression that everything is fresh, and to stimulate appetites.

What absolute rubbish! I’ve worked in a supermarket, they’re not paying for something as cheap as a thermal head cleaning pen, let alone something as expensive as a system to circulate the smell of fresh bread.

That smell comes, shock horror, from the bakery department. The smell just wafts over, as scents are known to do.

MrPurple said:
What absolute rubbish! I’ve worked in a supermarket, they’re not paying for something as cheap as a thermal head cleaning pen, let alone something as expensive as a system to circulate the smell of fresh bread.

That smell comes, shock horror, from the bakery department. The smell just wafts over, as scents are known to do.
In both stores I frequent the bakery department will put out those paper bags of fresh baked bread, right as you walk in the store. There is no need to "pump in the smell", it's right there in plain sight for everyone to smell and start buying.

I do the exact same thing!

Oh gosh the smell of a new pack of diapers (adult or baby) is just heavenly. Especially Pampers.

Same applies to a lot of new smells. One of my favorite scents is that of a brand new game.

SecretlyABDL94 said:
So I bought a few ABU Diapers, the first two I got scented with the scent strip and I did not like it at all, from far away it smells good but up close it is really overbearing. So, I got two $5 coupons from ABU and used it to order 2 more Diapers, and pay the remainder with my card, but I made sure to get them unscented. When I open the package, both the package and the Diapers have a amazingly wonderful smell.

This may make me a little wierd, but as soon as I take the Diapers out I hold them to my nose and smell them, then I keep the bag for a little bit so that I can stick my nose inside and sniff it, because the scent from the Diapers also scent the bag after being sealed and mailed.

Now what I wanna know is what that wonderful smell is that you get even without the baby fresh scent strips and where it comes from. Is it the plastic they use? Is it the landing zone Diaper Tape? Is it the ink used for the prints? What do they do to these Diapers to make them smell so good without the scent strips?!

Baby Diapers have this too, because I smell it when walking down the toy/Diaper aisle at King Soopers. However, Depend and other incontinence brands do not have this scent, obviously ABU is trying to make their Diapers as close to Baby Diapers as possible, which explains the scent when you take them out of the package. But what is the scent?!

Is it just something that happens with the production of Baby and ABU Diapers? Or do they do something special to them to get that wonderful scent? Remember I'm not talking about the scent strips that you pay extra for, I'm talking about the scent that comes from the Diaper itself when you take it out of the package.

Is it like a new car smell, where they just smell really good because they are fresh and the scent wears off after a while? Or do they actually add something to it during production that makes it smell so good until wet/messed?

Please help provide some insight as to what this scent is, where it comes from, and how it's achieved, because I'm not having much luck finding out what the normal scent of a Baby/ABU Diaper is (not the scent strips), I would really appreciate it, thanks and stay Diapered! :)
Oh! I don't know what scent ABU uses, but if you're trying to achieve the Pampers scent, use Dreft laundry beads. They're the EXACT scent of Pampers just concentrated. Same company too so that makes sense.

I like to dissolve the beads in water and add a touch of isopropyl (to help it dry faster) in a spray bottle. It makes a fabulous fabric refreshener.

Last edited:
Reactions: thatsecondotherguy
Sheepies said:
I do the exact same thing!

Oh gosh the smell of a new pack of diapers (adult or baby) is just heavenly. Especially Pampers.

Same applies to a lot of new smells. One of my favorite scents is that of a brand new game.
IKR tell me about it! The scent is heavenly!!!
Sheepies said:
Oh! I don't know what scent ABU uses, but if you're trying to achieve the Pampers scent, use Dreft laundry beads. They're the EXACT scent of Pampers just concentrated. Same company too so that makes sense.

I like to dissolve the beads in water and add a touch of isopropyl (to help it dry faster) in a spray bottle. It makes a fabulous fabric refreshener.
And thanks for the tip.

Back