What is most important to you in a president? (US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaudTheBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
What are the most important issues to you when you vote for a president? What are the least important?

For me, economy is close to the top. I want to feel like my tax dollars are being spent wisely. I don't want to see my contributions being abused or taken advantage of. An example of this is seeing someone at the grocery store using EBT or food stamps to buy food and then using cash to buy beer and cigarettes. Also to see someone call an ambulance and go to the ER for a simple cold or a minor cut that could be dealt with by going to an urgent care or their family doctor simply because they have medicaid and they think they will be seen sooner.
Something else is the preservation of our constitutional rights. Protection of free speech (even if I don't agree with what they are saying) is something I see as being under attack. Also the right to protect ourselves with a firearm. Dont get me wrong, there are some changes I am willing to make if they make sense, for example I would close or at least tighten the "gun show loophole" which is something I thought was a myth till I saw it first hand. I would not allow people to sell a gun in a organized show under the protection of it being their "personal collection". Also there needs to be a way for mental health professionals to add or remove information into the federal background database.

Things that are not important to me are most things social justice. As part of one of the minority groups myself (Hispanic) I have gotten tired of people playing the race card. Yes, there is still a level of racism out there but the fact is there will always be. If someone can show a clear example of being discriminated against like being denied a job because of race/sex/orientation, hell yeah that is wrong and must be stopped. But if someone just call someone else a name and that is as far as it goes, who cares?
Something else I don't care for is the stance of free college for everyone. There are way too many worthless degrees and majors out there. I had a lady argue with me for almost an hour because she had a four year degree and was running a cash register at a grocery store and could not get a job with a living wage. Come to find out her degree was in social media marketing. Really? You go to school to learn to use and sell stuff on Facebook? Speaking of living wage, that's something else I can't get behind. I'm sorry but working fast food or any job that a high school student would get is not meant to be a career. There should be certain jobs that should have a living wage minimum salary. Any job that requires the person to be 21 should be a living wage job. Working a fast food job or anything that requires no skill and can be done by a kid for a summer job, no, that does not require a living wage. That is simply for gas money
I may get raked over the coals for some of my points of view but they are simply my opinions. I thing people's personal experiences drive what is important to them. Being one of the older members here and seeing how things work in a more practical world is what drives my opinions.
Apologies for such a long post for a simple question. I guess I'm curious what drives other people especially those that I have opposing views with.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Incontinent
This is an interesting thread. I expect I'll have more thoughts as I ponder it, but offhand, I would say that I tend to have more respect for leaders who lead by example. I realize that is very general. I would want a President who clearly valued and upheld the Constitution both in letter and spirit.

One other thought related to college, as I am generally in favor of free access to education (and to research / known science): it appears to me that the proliferation of "worthless degrees" is an artifact of colleges being run as for-profit businesses. They'll sell you whatever you want, and they don't care whether that money comes from you, the government, or banks / lenders. It's still green money to them. So, I am certainly not in favor of making education free by forcing the government to foot whatever bill the colleges name for whatever they can convince someone they could use a degree in… rather, there ought to be a reasonable limit to the price they can charge, as this would force colleges to prioritize their spending on things that are actually important. They might choose not to offer quite so many degrees, for example.

ClaudTheBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
This is an interesting thread. I expect I'll have more thoughts as I ponder it, but offhand, I would say that I tend to have more respect for leaders who lead by example. I realize that is very general. I would want a President who clearly valued and upheld the Constitution both in letter and spirit.

One other thought related to college, as I am generally in favor of free access to education (and to research / known science): it appears to me that the proliferation of "worthless degrees" is an artifact of colleges being run as for-profit businesses. They'll sell you whatever you want, and they don't care whether that money comes from you, the government, or banks / lenders. It's still green money to them. So, I am certainly not in favor of making education free by forcing the government to foot whatever bill the colleges name for whatever they can convince someone they could use a degree in… rather, there ought to be a reasonable limit to the price they can charge, as this would force colleges to prioritize their spending on things that are actually important. They might choose not to offer quite so many degrees, for example.
Thank you Sapphyre. That is exactly what I was looking for. A take on a point of view with a very logical idea on how to deal with a problem. I love that idea.

babyboy

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little
I am going to say this about the EBT thing. If they save up the money why can they not have things they like. Also maybe a friend gave them that money so they could have some enjoyment. I use to have a neighbor that was on SSI (sadly she had a seizure while taking a shower) but I would some times give her money for outside "necessary" things I also once gave her a Amazon Echo (I make 90K+ a year so what is $20 here and there for me to make it so she can enjoy her life a little bit more), so while she was poor, and could not afford luxuries she had a few (she also had other friends that gave her things) So I see nothing wrong with the person getting some beer and tobacco, I can afford it and enjoy them why some one being poor means they can not have them just like me (maybe a lot less often), maybe they save up a some of the little money they have to have some enjoyment, or maybe a friend gave them the money, you don't know. Just because some one is poor does not mean they can not have good things once and a while.

Last edited:

Bluecave

(Bed)weather Student
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I value, first and foremost, intelligence. I would have thought such a trait would be a unquestionable prerequisite, but here we are.

The president must be capable of intelligent thought, and should operate intelligently in the office, and with global leaders. They shouldn’t embarass me, from a personal standpoint, not necessarily a political one. They should be willing to affect political change through intelligent means, and should avoid brute force where possible. The notion that the president must be “strong” is one I find laughable, and I present both Congress and the White House as proof of how shortsighted and ineffective “strongman” politics are. A president must remember that they represent the nation, not merely the winning coalition. A presidents own politics is merely an afterthought, in my view.

With regards to welfare: it exists to help people who cannot help themselves. If someone is abusing it, then maybe they shouldn’t recieve it, maybe they should be held accountable as required by many welfare laws, but to eliminate or gut the system is cruel. The state should ensure a basic livable, if low, quality of life for its most poor. It can be designed to promote self-sufficiency. But these things cannot be left uncertain, or up to chance or charity.

Last edited:

ClaudTheBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Good points Babyboy and Bluecave, and I thank you to for your prospective. As for welfare I'm not suggesting or advocating that it should be taken away from people that need it. We all need to help those that need help. It just frustrates me when I see a blatant abuse of the system. I work in the fire service so I see first hand when and how people can abuse the system. A good example of this is we had a lady that would use her medicare and call for an ambulance because she was having "chest pain". She would get a ride into town to the hospital, go through the check in process and then sign out AMA (against medical advice) and get the voucher to get a cab ride back home. She would do all her shopping and use the voucher to get home. She did this for about a year and a half till she moved somewhere else. We see these kinds of abuse ALL the time.
Unfortunately there are people that take no personal responsibility for any of their choices and use what is set up to help people with no regard for any one.

Last edited:

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I came here to say this. I do not want a raving tinfoil hat lunatic for whatever reason by luck, got the president title. Our current one is not a president, and a real president is the exact reverse on what we are seeing. I do not care if it is a replication or democrat, the person should be respected in a sense they can lead and carry out the duties of president (really trump should been gone long ago from this, but blind party following says otherwise)

For specific issues, most detrimental right now is having businesses having too much power. Be it monopolies or buying policy, big businesses have too much power. This means upholding net neutrality, enforcing anti- trust laws, and making sure regulations are being followed. Look at the game industry for example, that is what happens when you have an unregulated sector. I want a president that can put their foot down on the most major issues, not whine about border security, blaming a race, over a weak issue for deflection. (I/e it is not as big issue trump makes it to be, it is a issue yes, but not a national emergency, and this moves on to my next point)

I am sick of a president abusing their power. I do not want a fear mongering wannabee tyrant.

I would also love a president that can address issues such as gerrymandering, and other infrastructure issues ( water pipelines, roads, power lines, etc)

In regards to your wellfare comment yeah I agree but I do not think you will stop abuse 100%, this is why I am on the stance of universal basic income. Get rid of all the red tape and the costs that go along with that, give everyone a small amount that is livable and be done with it. (I mean livable in a strict sense) Doing this will also allow lower bars for minimum wadge, so small businesses are not hurting.

I do not think free speech is being attacked, more like people are learning the limitations of it. Those limitations always existed and you can flat out be sued for slander, yell fire when there is none, other things, past and now. No you cannot make up stories that result people running into a pizza place with a gun. Alt right nonsense deserves to be sensored, along with other lies that lead to harm like this.

for collage completely free for everyone,no, but you can very well have subsidized programs for those that prove they have potential and not throwing money away.

Last edited:

littleSorcerer

Est. Contributor
Role
An understanding of the terrible costs of violence, but also an understanding of its need in an imperfect world where only the strong have rights and make choices.

wisdom and intelligence.

Most importanlty, a proven track record of ethics and compassion. But not so much compassion that they fail to put their people first.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Haven’t voted in a presidential election since 2004. In my state (Oregon), the blues over-rule the reds and my vote don’t matter. The election will be won in some other state like Florida. Besides, what I want in a President ain’t on the ballot.

Drifter

Contributor
Role
Private
Leadership qualities, political experience, and the ability to set aside personal, partisan, and constituent desires in favor of representing the country as a whole.

CutePrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
Haven’t voted in a presidential election since 2004. In my state (Oregon), the blues over-rule the reds and my vote don’t matter. The election will be won in some other state like Florida. Besides, what I want in a President ain’t on the ballot.
the point of this thread is to tell us what is important to you, not if they are on the ballot or how much your vote counts. What qualities are big for you that brings you hope your state changes? i voted against obama in second term despite being strongly blue state because i did not like his heath care plan.

Last edited:

Sheepies

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Little
Someone who is more interested in helping the people and planet than lining the pockets of them, their friends, and investors.

Simply said.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
the point of this thread is to tell us what is important to you, not if they are on the ballot or how much your vote counts. What qualities are big for you that brings you hope your state changes? i voted against obama in second term despite being strongly blue state because i did not like his heath care plan.
My first desire is strong support for the Second Amendment. Not just big talk from Trump, but a real plan to support and defend it.

My second desire is a return to states’ rights. The federal government was supposed to be limited to defense and interstate commerce. It has ballooned too large and needs major liposuction to return it to a healthy state. For example, the Department of Education needs to be reduced to a footnote. The states should delegate education to the lowest possible level and only intervene when necessary. Right now, federal mandates are killing our education system.

My third desire for a President is a Department of State policy to stay out of other countrys’ internal affairs. We should return to Theodore Roosevelt’s “walk softly and carry a big stick” diplomatic policy. We also need to stop giving away billions of dollars to buy friendship and favors from other nations. Money does not buy friends; we need to stop trying.

Fourth: end prohibitions on firearms, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and pain relievers. The war on drugs has failed. Only the DEA and the drug cartels have benefited from it. Time for a new 21st amendment to end the war on drugs.

When can I have a candidate who agrees with me?

armydipr

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I want a president, who is honest for once damnit. Now teumps done alot to keep his campaogn promises even under daily bs from adam schitt and peliesi. Hes not a good man mind you, however hes done more for the ecomony, the nation and jobs than many before him, is he a lying schmuck ohhh yes but name a politician who isnt full of bull. Not one democrats worth their salt, trumps well hes trump, lol

armydipr

Est. Contributor
Role
My first desire is strong support for the Second Amendment. Not just big talk from Trump, but a real plan to support and defend it.

My second desire is a return to states’ rights. The federal government was supposed to be limited to defense and interstate commerce. It has ballooned too large and needs major liposuction to return it to a healthy state. For example, the Department of Education needs to be reduced to a footnote. The states should delegate education to the lowest possible level and only intervene when necessary. Right now, federal mandates are killing our education system.

My third desire for a President is a Department of State policy to stay out of other countrys’ internal affairs. We should return to Theodore Roosevelt’s “walk softly and carry a big stick” diplomatic policy. We also need to stop giving away billions of dollars to buy friendship and favors from other nations. Money does not buy friends; we need to stop trying.

Fourth: end prohibitions on firearms, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and pain relievers. The war on drugs has failed. Only the DEA and the drug cartels have benefited from it. Time for a new 21st amendment to end the war on drugs.

When can I have a candidate who agrees with me?
I agree on many points however some drugs have zero benefit, and big pharma needs shut down. Marijauna should be legal, period recreationally and medically its better than most prescription options and less side effects to the negative. As for fire arms we dont need fully automatics in general. However a class 3 license can be attained with a background check along the lines of a secret security clearance for machine guns ect..

armydipr

Est. Contributor
Role
You do have option to write in ypur choice .

armydipr

Est. Contributor
Role

I agree to cost limitations for college degrees. Free is not an option as nothing. Is free, if its free for you whos covering the bill.

Drifter

Contributor
Role
Private
Hes not a good man mind you, however hes done more for the ecomony, the nation and jobs than many before him, is he a lying schmuck ohhh yes
He's also done more damage to the economy than many before him and, like you say, he's a no good lying schmuck.

armydipr

Est. Contributor
Role
He's also done more damage to the economy than many before him and, like you say, he's a no good lying schmuck.
How do define damage to the economy, its up on every measurement, in a positive direction. Under obama it was stagnant, under bush it almost failed and we the tax payer got screwed with bank bailouts and bailouts of firms deemed to big to fail. Both obama and bush, threw billion into the peoples hand and it did nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.