What is a need for diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleManAlex

Lurker
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I was thinking what constitutes a need for diapers.

Do we just stick with medical need for those who are incontinent or do we branch out a abit?

For example I would say I have a psychological need for diapers as opposed to a medical need. I feel less anxious, less scared, more safe if I am wearing, I feel like I can function far better than if I don't wear.

What are everyone thoughts on the "need" for diapers.

I need them (psychologically speaking- as it is not a physical need) IF I want a good night's sleep :)

I wouldn't say I have a need for them. I certainly don't need them due to any incontinence and I don't think my desire counts as a need. I can and have done alright without them. They make things better for me but I won't wither and die without them. On the other hand, if I were to try to purge any thoughts of them from my mind, I'd probably go bonkers.

I just like them. It's like drinking, something to do. Wearing one now, I don't have to get up, and it feels so good.

A "psychological" need, is still most likely a medical need. You may think you are wanting diapers to "reduce stress" and to "feel more secure" and "like a baby". Here is my experience with the garments: They serve to reduce the symptoms of my disorder. Diapers have absolutely NOTHING TO DO with making me feel "secure" or "like a baby". They are there to help ME keep my developmental disability under MY control, rather than allowing my disorder to control ME.

To qualify as a Flexible Spending Account expense, diapers are eligible as long as they serve the purpose of reducing symptoms of a medical condition. That condition can be a mental illness, developmental disability, or physical ailment or disability. Just having an autism spectrum diagnosis will usually qualify for a reduction in taxable income due to diaper-related costs.

I have a "want" for them. I'm not incontinent, so I wouldn't say that I have a true need for them.

Same for me, want rather than need, except that I am somewhat OCD and have a minor, psychological need to have the desire to wear diapers, satiated. I've not worn all week as I've had a terrible cold, one that also went into my bladder. Every night I have had vivid dreams about wearing diapers, or seeing diapers displayed in stores, etc. I'm feeling somewhat better and I think I'll be back into diapers tonight, the first night in 7 days. Whew!!!

I think defining "need" is a challenge. It's sort of like a sandwich. On one end there's stuff that clearly isn't a need: I don't a new car right now or I don't need a fabulous yacht (although...no, getting off topic). On the other end would be something like diapers for medical incontinence: the need is impossible to argue because such a person who didn't have a diaper on would ruin all their clothes and furniture.

The problem is the middle of the sandwich might have lots of space and I think reasonable people might disagree about exactly where "need" starts and want ends. For example, if a person can't sleep at all without diapers even though they have full bladder control, is that a "need?" I'd probably say yes. But I'd be less certain if it were "had trouble sleeping, but could do it" and even less certain if it was just "can sleep either way, but likes having them."

A lot of us have what I'd call a psychological need over time: over the course of, let's say several months to a few years, we need to wear diapers at some point or we'll start suffering from distraction, obsessions, or depression. But most of us, on any given day, would be fine if we couldn't wear diapers that particular day. It would be at most minor disappointment with the option to make it up a little while later.

A few of us might have a more pressing psychological need, where symptoms of depression would start appearing after only a short time without diapers, but I think that's not very common.

I have no clue where medical insurance might draw the line, by the by, probably at "wherever you can still get a doctor's note."

Medicaid draws the line with involuntary loss of bladder control. The litmus test for them, is whether or not you leak the same without a diaper, as with a diaper. If you are indeed wet with or without a diaper, then you would qualify for the cheap Attends that Medicaid provides. Otherwise, you have to buy them with your own funds as it would be a "behavioral" issue. That, in and of its self, would not disqualify a person from using a flexible spending account to purchase diapers when a doctor writes up a slip describing the need.

My want has turned into a psychological need. I can sleep easy at night knowing I have them and it makes work way easier, but I could probrably adjust back if I ever needed to.

I think that among AB's and DL's there is a need and a want for diapers. Of course having a diaper fetish makes you crave and want diapers but at the same time (for me at least) there is a need to have diapers to make me happy and it helps my overall well being. Not being in diapers for an extended period of time puts me in a kind of a sad and depressing place.

I don't feel like this qualifies as a need. Social media is a much stronger addiction and it's not a need. This seems like an entitlement that's just easily obtained.

Depends on how loosely you want to define "need". By most definitions of "need", I don't need diapers. I'm not incontinent and I can go for months without wearing. However, if you were to say "Give up diapers forever. Never wear them again. You're no longer an ABDL.", it's not going to work. I could probably do it to a certain extent, but I would definitely after a while, get cravings for them, and my life would diminish since I can't just wish this away. So I guess you could say in a very very loose way say I "sort of" need them, but by most definitions, I would say no.

Gsmax said:
Depends on how loosely you want to define "need". By most definitions of "need", I don't need diapers. I'm not incontinent and I can go for months without wearing. However, if you were to say "Give up diapers forever. Never wear them again. You're no longer an ABDL.", it's not going to work. I could probably do it to a certain extent, but I would definitely after a while, get cravings for them, and my life would diminish since I can't just wish this away. So I guess you could say in a very very loose way say I "sort of" need them, but by most definitions, I would say no.

I guess I would define need as to whether or not it substantially improves your ability to function as normally as possible. To me my diapers are as important as my anti depressants and anti anxiety medications. With all three I feel like, most of the time anyway, that I can function as normally as I can. Take any one of those out of the equation for a day or two and I become a wreck. Everyone is different and as you said depending on how loosely you define most of us could probably need it.

So whilst I do enjoy wearing diapers... they are as much an psychological aid as my medication.

Need for me, would be something along those lines.

"Need" is a very vague and abstract concept. Absolutely speaking, no one has a need for anything; you only "need" something in order to _______ (fill in the blank).

Incontinent people don't need diapers; they could use catheters or pee on the floor.

Humans don't need to breathe oxygen. It won't be long before they're a dead human, but there's no fundamental imperative. Humans "only" need oxygen in order to stay alive.

So, in the end, "need" is nothing more than a personal evaluation of acceptable outcomes.

Most people would find it "unacceptable" to suffocate and prematurely end their life... So, from their subjective point of view, they "need" oxygen to breathe. Many incontinent people may find it "unacceptable" to manage their incontinence without diapers. And many mobile phone users would find it "unacceptable" to not own an iPhone.

It's all about subjective opinions and values. There's no objective answer. And the need of an non-ABDL incontinent person is different from the need of a non-incontinent ABDL person, whichever way you look at it.

Unfortunately if we expand Medical need to psychological,some shy sterling at some lab somewhere is gonna "make a pill for that" and until the government bans those damn DTC Drug commercials we will have to watch the depends underwear Ness followed by something voiced by like Morgan Freeman asking do you want to be free of your diaper need? Take this pill and a prescription for a life in therapy and you could be, NO THANKS....

Here's a question for you people to answer, would diapers be considered a drug for psychological needs? More of a placebo effect though?

I would consider myself wearing more often for convenience rather than psychological need. Although after a period of time I would get a strong urge to wear after not wearing for awhile, then it would be considered a psychological need.

I think diapers are an addiction though, for all of us. Whether you think so or not.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Here's a question for you people to answer, would diapers be considered a drug for psychological needs? More of a placebo effect though?

I would consider myself wearing more often for convenience rather than psychological need. Although after a period of time I would get a strong urge to wear after not wearing for awhile, then it would be considered a psychological need.

I think diapers are an addiction though, for all of us. Whether you think so or not.

Now that you say it, that does seem true. If I really tried, I could stop wearing but it's like getting off drugs: it takes more then just saying "I'm going to quit"

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:

Well, they're not a drug in the sense that there's no chemical coming off the diaper that's changing your brain chemistry. Similarly, while diapers may be an addiction, they're not a physical addiction: there aren't physical withdrawal symptoms or sickness from not having diapers for a while. But there are lots of things that mess with brain behavior: exercise, certain foods, sex, touching another human being all can change what hormones our bodies are producing and in what proportion, which in turn affects mood and energy. So for ABDLs at least, diapers are definitely a pleasure activity and come with those feelings and chemicals. It's just that the cause is internal, it's something about our mental association with diapers, not a chemical coming from the diapers themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back