What has been your most awkward diaper-buying experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThoughtsInsideADream

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Where I live in Spain the off-the-shelf variety is limited and of poor quality, so it is unfortunately necessary to go into a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.

My Spanish is pretty limited, but I learnt the words 'adultos panales para mi abuelo por favour' in preparation. The pharmacist bought out a line of pullups, and I realised I should have also worked out a way to communicate that I wanted slips.

Eventually she pulled out a big back of some fabric feel slips by a company called Lysette (they sag awfully when wet but have a very authentic look and feel). I said yes, keen to conclude the transaction as quickly as possible, and threw her the money.

As I was about to leave with the pack, she called back holding a big box. It transpired that they only sold these things in bulk, and I had unknowingly brought a big box full of 4 packs (80 diapers in total), which was far more than I could carry or hide. Plus the cardboard box had a big picture of a diaper on the front, so wasn't even close to inconspicuous.

I tried to wave her off, but I couldn't communicate this to her. At this point a lengthy queue had developed, consisting of people all curious to know why a twenty-something foreigner with no Spanish was trying to buy medical grade adult diapers in bulk.

Eventually I had to relent and grab the huge box off her. I waddled down the road as fast as I could to dump the excess in a dumpster, hoping against hope I hadn't been spotted.

I would usually make a trip far away from my home to buy diapers. I borrow a friends car, or wait for a sunny day I have off and go mid-day on my bike and backpack.

One day, I don't know why, I went to a small pharamacy near my house. Mostly a compounding pharmacy with only a few packages of diapers. I walked in and grabbed a pack of toddlers pull-ups. I knew I was easily able to fit in them. I put them on the counter and the pharmacist says in a really snarky voice (or maybe it just seems like that remembering it)

"Oh. How old is your toddler?"

I didn't know what to say, so I spat out the lame excuse I put in my head beforehand.

"They're for an art project." and I turned and left as quickly as I could.

Welp, didn't go back to that pharmacy, not that I had a reason to, but it always embarrassed me, even just walking past.

Once I went to a cvs and bought large good nights which still barley fit me. The cashier talked about them and I forgot what she said by now but it was really awkward and I didn't expect anyone to say anything about it so I was really surprised and emberassed at the time.

I still go there sometimes because it's convenient, I either haven't seen the same lady or forgot which lady it was.

I know this kind of sounds silly, but for me.. honestly the most awkward experience I had buying diapers occurred in an ONLINE order, of all things.

It was actually my very first time actually attempting to buy diapers over the Internet (I was like 12-13 yrs old at the time) and after a long time of nerve wracking planning I decided the best way to discreetly buy the diapers without having a credit card, was to use a money order. Genius, right??

Well..unfortunately, being a somewhat clueless dumb kid at the time, I wrongly assumed that a 'money' order meant sending ACTUAL cash through the mail. Whoops..

So basically what happened was, after a long planned out ninja mission to discreetly acquire stamps--I ended up sending off a printed out order for the older blue tape style of retro Attends, along with a plain white envelope stuffed with the exact amount the order came to, including coins.

The miracle behind all this is that somehow, some incredible person at the company I had bought them from (I think it was actually Northshore) must have realized they were dealing with a clueless, terrified kid or something..because they actually ended up sending the diapers after all. o_O' Talk about killer customer service!

Also, for the record--those old Attends were amazing as a first ever 'real' diaper to have.

My most awkward was probably the first time I ever bought diapers. Nothing in particular happened except that I was no nervous that my arms went numb.

There were some times later on that would have been bad except by then I'd gotten comfortable enough buying them I handled it fine.

At a medical supply store the person ringing me up said "do you buy these a lot?" , which caused me to sort of stare blankly at them for several seconds before saying "no!". I think both of us realized the awkward phrasing we had used at the same time. They quickly clarified that they had some kind of buy 9 get the 10th one free sort of program, and I clarified that I appreciated that they carried premium brands but that I usually got them online except the place I ordered from was out of stock.

Then there was another medical supply store where every time I went there they took 5 minutes to figure out the price of the diapers I was buying and then half the time didn't have change since I was paying cash.

Merp said:
My most awkward time was at CVS. I was buying depends and the guy at the register asked "are these for you?" and I snapped and said "it's none of your f***ing business" (along with a few other choice words) Well the there was a cop behind me and he asked me if there was a problem. At this point I was coming out of my furious state into a more embarrassed state. I said "I think we're ok now" (or something like that I can't quite remember) and out the door o went. My hands were shaking and as I drove home I got more and more pissed off thinking about it.
I get home and walk right past my mom (I lived with my parents t that time) and didn't even think about the pack of depends that I was holding. Then I gt nervous about that. The next day after I get home from work I go to my room and when I sit on my bed I hear it crinkle. I looked under the sheets and found a plastic mattress cover. two days of embarrassment. Now I could careless about being seen in diapers (especially since I'm incontinent now).

Omg I had that same thing happen to me at CVS what are the odds?! Well I didn't get pissed off at the guy I got embarrassed payed for the diapers as quickly as possible and left.

My most awkward experience ever, was while buying pullups cool alert at a mini walmart. My dad walked in.

Second most awkward was when I was buying some tugaboos overnights at a rite aid, and the checkout computer crashed. I was late to where I was going, and there was a line building up behind me. After about 6min or more they finaly got it working.

//btw what is it with people always thinking I have children, I'm 20 and most people think I look like i'm 16 or 17. Yet some how people think I have kids old enough to use goodnights l/xl at checkout. I just go along with w/e they say most of the time or redirect the convorstation. Still think its strange tho.

I bought mine at a CVS one time and the young checkout girl gave me a sad sympathetic look. Fortunately for me, that was my worst experience.

My most awkward is when I bought goodnights, and got the wrong size, so I had to return them, fortunately they accepted them, and gave me my money back, still was pretty awkward.

As far as I can remember I have never had a truly awkward experience when buying diapers, however, living in germany, there is always a bit of a hassle involved in the process. For a start, usually you won't find diapers in supermarkets or drugstores. They have pants and other supplies, but if you are looking for proper diapers, you won't find any. That leaves pharmacies and medical supply stores, except, you don't go there to buy diapers unless you have a prescription. Diapers are of course prescription-free, but if you need them, public health care pays for them. But even if you have a prescription, you don't go there to get them directly, you get them delivered. All-in-all, going somewhere to buy diapers is possible but not really usual, so be prepared for raised eyebrows when they ask for a prescription when you don't have one.

Pharmacies don't sell diapers on a regular basis, but typically will order them for you. This also means, that they don't know anything about diapers and even if you know what you want, they have to search for them in their computer systems to be able to order them. Now imagine a pharmacy, a handfull of other customers waiting in the line, and you standing at the counter repeating over and over the maker, the size, slips not pants etc. and after what feels like an eternity they tell you, that they can't order them, because the company making the deliveries doesn't have the right contract to get you exactly what you want. (Just to make it a bit more ironic, the law that requires everyone to have a contract with everyone else to be allowed to sell certain medical supplies was made by free-marked ideologs).

I don't really like going to medical supply stores. These are strange places with a very unwelcoming atmosphere. I don't know exactly why, but it feels so bloody serious, so no nonsense, so instrumentally rational, that no one in their right mind would go there to buy diapers for fun. And so I went there to buy diapers for fun :smile1: There is one quite nearby where I live, in which I bought diapers for the first time only half a year ago. I knew that they have Seni and so I went in and said, much to the surprise of the clerk, exactly what I wanted (doesn't seem to happen that often). Of course he asked for a prescription, of course I said that I don't have one, raised eyebrow, he went to fetch them, I paid, done. Last week I went there again, not really planned but I happened to be in the area. It was in the evening and the store was about to close, so I went in and asked for incontinence briefs (I really don't know why I didn't go for the direct path, since I know that they have Seni diapers). There where only two female clerks in the store, no other customer. One of them starts to ask what exactly I need, the size, pants or the ones with tapes. I answer 'Tapes in size M' and off she goes. Halfway through the store, the other one who stayed at the counter suddenly shouts 'Get the Seni Trio, the thick ones,' then looking at me 'that are the ones you had before, right?'

I was speechles. I mean, how on earth... but after leaving the store and contemplating for a bit, I came to the conclusion: I'm obviously not the only AB/DL who buys there. But then I realized: THEY KNOW!

price check on depend at walmart. third, and LAST time I will ever buy at a brick-n-mortar.

probably the most awkward was a time I went to a CVS in between my college town in my home town bought a pack of depends as I recall. When I went to check out the lady asked why a man my age needed diapers. My prepared response was that they were for my grandma at a hospital. Well she kinda saw right through it and gave me a stereotypical "mmmmmmm-hmmmmmm" and handed me the diapers without a bag. Apparently I had upset her by lying. Needless to say I haven't been back to that store, or that town, or actually that county save for passing through sense.

i was accually buying my first pack of depend diapers for men and i ran into a school friend from when i was in high school and i had to tell him i was buying them for the elderly for our church omg it was so embarrasing and he worked at the Walgreens i had bought the depends from so everytime i walked in there he called me the diaperman lol i dont think he was intentionally calling me this but just a nickname since he caught me in the act of buying a pack but yeah that was my worst so far besides that just normal weird or awkward stares from customers but i dont shop there and i shop online now with all the ABDL stuff online i can find :)

blablafreckenlover said:
probably the most awkward was a time I went to a CVS in between my college town in my home town bought a pack of depends as I recall. When I went to check out the lady asked why a man my age needed diapers. My prepared response was that they were for my grandma at a hospital. Well she kinda saw right through it and gave me a stereotypical "mmmmmmm-hmmmmmm" and handed me the diapers without a bag. Apparently I had upset her by lying. Needless to say I haven't been back to that store, or that town, or actually that county save for passing through sense.

WHAT A B***H! If that was me I'd get that woman fired, I don't care how embarrassed I'd be. That is truly atrocious.

When I bought diapers in the store, being that this is a small town and people talk, I would try to get my diapers as quickly as possibly and get out before I was seen by somebody I knew. Was nerve racking.

ThoughtsInsideADream said:
Where I live in Spain the off-the-shelf variety is limited and of poor quality, so it is unfortunately necessary to go into a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.

My Spanish is pretty limited, but I learnt the words 'adultos panales para mi abuelo por favour' in preparation. The pharmacist bought out a line of pullups, and I realised I should have also worked out a way to communicate that I wanted slips.

Eventually she pulled out a big back of some fabric feel slips by a company called Lysette (they sag awfully when wet but have a very authentic look and feel). I said yes, keen to conclude the transaction as quickly as possible, and threw her the money.

As I was about to leave with the pack, she called back holding a big box. It transpired that they only sold these things in bulk, and I had unknowingly brought a big box full of 4 packs (80 diapers in total), which was far more than I could carry or hide. Plus the cardboard box had a big picture of a diaper on the front, so wasn't even close to inconspicuous.

I tried to wave her off, but I couldn't communicate this to her. At this point a lengthy queue had developed, consisting of people all curious to know why a twenty-something foreigner with no Spanish was trying to buy medical grade adult diapers in bulk.

Eventually I had to relent and grab the huge box off her. I waddled down the road as fast as I could to dump the excess in a dumpster, hoping against hope I hadn't been spotted.

Hahaha....I tried to get adult diapers when I was studying in Spain 10 years ago. I went in to a couple pharmacies and struck out. I ended up buying baby diapers and using them as pads. That was until I travelled to France and found Molicares in the first pharmacy I tried.

walking out of the store with a bag of M4's and running into a co worker sayin hi and walking to the car as fast as I could hoping they thought it TP or something in the bag , nothing was ever said after thank god

My most awkward experience was when I was buying girls goodnites from a wallgreens in my home town. The cashier was a girl I went to high school with and had a few classes with. I'm pretty sure she recognized me and we shared a few awkward looks and I was panicking inside. I have not seen her since and I will always remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back