What happened to Snuggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Does anyone know why they have rebranded as Tykables? I'm just curious. It appears as though they have all of the original products with a few name changes.

I reckon the manufacturers of Huggies have sent their pit bulls (lawyers) in as the name is to similar

parcelboy2 said:
I reckon the manufacturers of Huggies have sent their pit bulls (lawyers) in as the name is to similar

My thoughts as well.

Any idea why the name change of the S.Ex to Tighty Whities? I honestly prefer the new TW name.

The search engine at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office shows that "Snuggies Diapers" was abandoned in mid August. I'm thinking the lawsuit theory is correct, as there seems to be no mention of a reason for the name change anywhere. I don't know what to make of the new name. "Tyke" generally refers to a boy child, and is a fairly antiquated term besides. And adding "ables" to it just... huh. I don't get it. Maybe they only had twenty-four hours to rebrand themselves.

Last edited:
Definitely seems like a lawsuit issue. While it could be a name similarity thing with Huggies, it could also be that of Snuggies, which is a direct name match and also trademarked.

Does indeed seems like they've been pressured into a quick rebrand.

So they changed the S.Ex name to tighty whities huh, that is an awesome name for a diaper.

KenworthW900b said:
So they changed the S.Ex name to tighty whities huh, that is an awesome name for a diaper.
From a sex-themed diaper to an underwear-themed diaper... It's interesting marketing, anyway! I'm not surprised that S.Ex. was dropped, though. With quite a few AB/DLs seeming to like plain white diapers, I expect the name scared away far more people than it could ever have hoped to attract. May as well have been named Fappies.

I'd like to see a white diaper named Carte Blanche. :)

I have avoided the S.Ex ones due to the name but really wanted to try them due to being all white.... Now will be able to.

I really like the Snuggies name, no problem with Tykeables but don't like the idea of them having to change due to the name being too close to a babies diaper or those full length romper suits.

Regardless of what people think of the name change, this sue happy world nowadays it isn't much of a surprise that it happened. Just gotta suck it up.

So I guess I should change the name of my new diaper line, Dampers?

It's interesting because, honestly, I don't think that Huggies would have a winning trademark claim agianst Snuggies. Yes, they rhyme, but snug is a common English word and anything ending with the "ee" sound is a common way of making things sound cute or juvenile. I don't think anything in the Snuggies/Tykables marketing attempted to replicate the Huggies brand design or packaging, and the diapers look completely different. So, there's simply vary little risk of consumer confusion and therefore it's not likely that there would any kind of trademark claim.

Now, that doesn't mean Huggies didn't get involved in this (they might simply be very aggressive on anything remotely similar to their brand), but I'm not convinced unless we hear something from them. There are lots of reasons to rebrand other than a legal claim, such as wanting to offer a larger product line for which the old name doesn't feel appropriate.

dogboy said:
So I guess I should change the name of my new diaper line, Dampers?

Do it as a pampers parody. If Chewy Vuitton can make dog toys that look like purses, you can make big diapers that make fun of the pampers designs (not that you're actually doing this or anything, just saying).

Concluding to this: http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/2ik18g280/uspto-trademark-trial-and-appeal-board/kimberlyclark-worldwide-inc-v-snuggies-diapers-inc/ Kimberly Clark filed.

In their email that was sent out they said "Why change our name? In order to better protect our company and brand we are moving to a new name which will allow us to trademark our name globally and with unity for all future products. Another trademark owner had a concern about our original name, and working with this company we came to mutually agreeable terms of which the full details will be kept private between both companies.".

Hopes that gives some incite.

There was a brouhaha over this on the ABDL subreddit. It looks like the trademark was contested during the period it was posted for public review, and Kimberly-Clark filed against it. It also looks like they were having problems as they expanded to international markets and ran into different trademark rules in some other countries.

The two sides negotiated, settled, and this appears to be the result.

20/20 hindsight - maybe we all should have seen this coming. The difference between Snuggies and Huggies was two letters at the beginning, was obviously intentionally similar, and there is zero chance a large corporate consumer goods manufacturer wants ABDL things including images of adults modeling diapers showing up in Google searches for their baby diapers.

I actually really like the all white S.Ex diapers and they have been my typical go to. I was always curious why they were branded Snuggers instead of Snuggies on the package. Does anyone have insight into that one?

lilkayden said:
Concluding to this: http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/2ik18g280/uspto-trademark-trial-and-appeal-board/kimberlyclark-worldwide-inc-v-snuggies-diapers-inc/ Kimberly Clark filed.

In their email that was sent out they said "Why change our name? In order to better protect our company and brand we are moving to a new name which will allow us to trademark our name globally and with unity for all future products. Another trademark owner had a concern about our original name, and working with this company we came to mutually agreeable terms of which the full details will be kept private between both companies.".

Hopes that gives some incite.

That's good to know. I imagine the settlement was mutually agreeable since Kimberly-Clark can just throw money at the thing and Snuggies/Tykables is a tiny company. I'm not convinced that Snuggies would have lost had they had enough money to actually fight it out, though.

I'm not a major fan of the new name as the -ables in Tykables makes it feel more like some sort of packaged snack product and doesn't really scream "Diaper" to me. Though I will admit that I'm much more comfortable with the name now than I was a couple days ago when it was first announced, so it's growing on me.

As for the lawsuit, I personally don't agree with it. I don't think the name Snuggies would've effected Huggies or their profits at all. I'm pretty sure that 99.9999% of Huggies customers have never heard of Snuggies and would give you a WTF look if you brought up Snuggies or think you're talking about the infomercial blanket, and my jaw would drop, hit the floor, and shatter in a million pieces if Snuggies EVER showed up in a Google Search for Huggies. If I were a judge ruling, I would definitely side with Snuggies.

However, I don't blame Tykables for the name change one bit considering the fact that Kimberly Clark is a Fortune 500 Company, Snuggies/Tykables is a tiny little business catering to a niche market, they probably have lobbyists in D.C, and the fact that Kimberly Clark probably has more people working for them just as lawyers than the entire Tykables company hires total. If Huggies was a small business not worth very much and without much power, I'd feel comfortable in Snuggies winning the suit. But knowing how friendly and favorable the U.S Court System is to major companies, going up against a corporation worth billions of dollars that most people know about, Snuggies would've gotten crushed if they didn't go bankrupt from legal fees before the ruling.

It's been confirmed on Reddit that it was a lawsuit. They tried to deny it but several lawyers posted evidence to back up that it was indeed a Trademark lawsuit.

Even though Snuggies may have won the trademark lawsuit, maybe the ABDL community is better off there wasn't one. I can't imagine any good publicity would come out of it. I definitely respect the owner's decision to re brand, ESPECIALLY if this reasoning had any influence.

They emailed customers saying there was a problem patenting the name in the US and chose Tykables so they could legally hold the same name in all their markets/countries they are selling in. I thought it was Snuggies blankets but could have been Huggies I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back