What forums to use for help with PC problems...?

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I often have questions relating to PCs. I'm quite technically competent, and often the questions I have relate to Linux or, say, the inner-workings of IPv6... Not basic home-user stuff.

Of course I can use Google, refer to the manual, and use distro-specific forums... But sometimes I have other random questions.

Like now, I'm looking for a good Windows-based media organiser/player... (I guess that IS a basic home-user question!) Yesterday I was wondering about fstab mount options for ntfs-3g partitions... Earlier I was looking at linux schedulers, swap usage, and optimising Fiefox's memory performance. Fairly geeky, random stuff.

So... where do you fellow techies go to when you have questions like this and Google and RTFM still leave you scratching your head?

BoundCoder

nnember
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
  3. Private
I used to be much more involved in open source, and as a result, I still hang around in a lot of IRC channels (freenode mostly) as well as some other niche communities (ex: the whole musl / posix warrior cabal). The side effect of this is that for pretty much any random *nix thing, I know of or know where I can find some who is gonna have a really strong opinion.

I guess what that boils down to is that I think a good way to use the internet as a means of knowledge sharing is to involve yourself in the communities you are interested and gradually build that network of people whose opinions you value and who are willing to spend a chunk of their day helping you out because you've done the same.

depends4me

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Most of the time I am able to find answers to my IT roadblocks so don't need to post anything. (I am currently, reluctantly writing a couple Powershell scripts and figuring out how to add cmdlet parameters and parameter arguments programmatically.) I typicaly use Google and hit so many boards and sites that I've stopped keeping track. But the boards that do come to mind are the Stack Exchange sites: Stack Overflow, Server Fault, etc. and the forums at bleepingcomputer.com. The best site sometimes depends on the question. I remember once finding a really good site for manual malware removal, but that may have been all they did.

MailCat581

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
NEVER Trust these "Free PC Cleaning" apps! As far as other problems; you're best bet is to get in contact with your PC's manufacturer, Microsoft tech support quality has dwindled over the years. Their worst years was during Vista (Vista was a nightmare on Elm Street for my PC's).