What Fascinated You Most As A Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Taking another trip down memory lane here.:eek: Different things of a mechanical nature held a certain fascination with me - old style elevators with operators, streetcars, trains, steel wrecking balls knocking down buildings. But, what held the greatest fascination for me as a pre-school age child was garbage trucks!:eek: When I would hear the truck coming down the alley I would run to the end of our backyard, still in my jammies, to watch the men banging metal trash cans into the back of the truck and banging the empties back on the concrete again. Once the truck back area was reasonably full, one guy would pull down a door and pull on a handle that would activate the trash compacting sequence. Once done, the door would pop open on it's own and the trash was gone, into the bowels of the truck body.

When I turned 5, we moved to an apartment building, but my fascination with trash disposal trucks continued. Now, old enough to venture around the immediate neighborhood, I knew what days trash was collected and would follow the truck for blocks.:D My mother actually looked all over for a toy trash truck for me to play with - and found one!:) It was all metal with rubber tires (as most wheeled toys were in the 1950's) and had a dumper you could fill with *trash*. There was a handle to crank the dumper up and, as it went up, a door opened up for the dumper to unload the trash into the truck. The truck could be tipped back when full, and a bottom door would automatically open to unload all the truck's contents. Pretty neat, one-of-a-kind toy! Wish I still had it.:( Anyway, that was my biggest fascination as a child.....how about you?

~Pramrider

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
At the supermarkert mall that I used to live near there was this one lift. Which would actually go through water and out to the carparks. I was always amazed that I was able to breathe under the water! I also held my breathe when we were about to go into the water but was amazed that all of this was underneath water which I had heard through tv could drown you. Weird huh?

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Garbage trucks, exit signs, dead ends. Yes I know I was a weird child haha.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I was always fascinated by cityscapes at night, the web of lights connecting each other. Street signs, traffic lights/streetlights at night, basically everything like that.

Also, anything I could build with K'nex. I never had Lego's really, I played with K'nex. ^^;

Last edited:

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
I loved street signs and legos.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Clocks - apparently at the age of 2 I went on a holiday to France and I could remember where every clock tower that we went past was

The workings of pens - actually I am still obsessed with the workings of pens

Space - I could name most of the constellations in the Northern Hemisphere

Lego - I still would be if it hadn't been banished to the attic in the name of creating space

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Tow trucks. Now I'm interested in fire apparatus (or "appliances" if you're in that part of the world).

E

Error404

The weather. I was an odd child. As a baby. Storms made me sleep soundly. And if I was awake, I'd dart to the window to watch.

Even now, at 19, when it starts raining heavily, I run outside as to dance. I'm so at peace with the planet and all that I become as content as can be.

Role
Private
Lightning and storms! Back when I was younger and we actually had decent summer storms, I would sit outside for hours and just watch the lightning streak across the sky. I thought it was both beautiful and spectacular. I mean, free light show!

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
When I was a little kid, like 5, etc. my mom would take me into Philadelphia for the big Christmas shopping trip. They still had the street cars running back then, big rail like cars running on tracks with a big metal rod that connected to a live wire suspended above the streets. As it would hit the wire, sparks would fly out. The tracks were on the same rode that you drove on, so you would have to get out of their way.

My uncles who lived two houses over from us were all into construction, and sometimes they would drive home either big dump trucks, and even road graders. I can remember my one uncle giving me a ride on a big road grader. I think he sat me in his lap. It's still a fond memory. Like you Pramrider, I had these wonderful metal toys of trucks with the rubber tires. They were the early Tonka trucks, and I had a dump truck, and a road grader, and a crane and a bunch more which I can no longer remember. I wonder if your garbage truck was a Tonka. The Tonkas were better then than now.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I was and still am fascinated by space...I also loved Legos and other building type things...Oh and magic!

Emileigh

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
i was fascinated by all different types of animals, and baby dolls always had a doll wit me wherever i went

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Lightning and storms! Back when I was younger and we actually had decent summer storms, I would sit outside for hours and just watch the lightning streak across the sky. I thought it was both beautiful and spectacular. I mean, free light show!
Me and all my brothers and our sister have done that. The last time I did was when I was sleeping out in a tent at my moms house one summer. The house was pretty packed and I was sort of forced off the big couch. So I went to sleep in the tent my sister had setup since it was nice out anyways. I wake up at like 12:30 am and a big thunder storm is coming.

I race back inside the house with anything I could grab and sleep on the love seat. I wake up again at maybe 12:55 and theres lighting strikes hitting the ocean about 25 every min or so for maybe 45 mins. This was in Coos Bay, Oregon.

Other then that I always liked computers. A few weeks ago I replaced my PC's Power Unit and gave it a new stand alone video card. The new Power Unit was needed for the new Video Card.

Titus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
I don't remember much of my childhood myself, so I really can't say for sure what fascinated me or not. However, I'm told I was very much afraid of anything and everyhing, as a child that is.

Tunnels forexample, I couldn't stand them. I alway began to cry my heart out till my eyes no longer had anymore fluid left to process the tears with. Must've been a hell to my two older sisters, heh.

Oh yeah, and there was the televised bingo program that also scared the living poo out of me. I dunno why though.

Let's see, and there were also the Vacuum cleaner. It must have been the sound it made. I always ran to hide in my closet or out in the garage whenever my mom used it. *

Cripes, I was an irrational kid back in the day.

*(I still somewhat shun the blasted machinery to this day also. Thats becaues it usually involves some work on my part. ...and it means that I will have to kill of my dust bunnies in the process. I get lonely withour their company.)

Role
Private
Ants & Legos

When I was young, my parents would take me to the zoo and we'd see the elephants, lions, tigers, and so on... but usually at some point they'd look down and find that I'd stepped away from the railing and was looking at an anthill and the activity therein.

Ooh, and Legos. Although I have to say to all Lego-freaks out there: have you seen what they have today?? :eek:ldguy: Why, back in my day, we were happy just to have 1x1 blocks, much less all these new-fangled specialty pieces! :D

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
When I was a little kid, like 5, etc. my mom would take me into Philadelphia for the big Christmas shopping trip. They still had the street cars running back then,....

Like you Pramrider, I had these wonderful metal toys of trucks with the rubber tires. They were the early Tonka trucks, and I had a dump truck, and a road grader, and a crane and a bunch more which I can no longer remember. I wonder if your garbage truck was a Tonka. The Tonkas were better then than now.
Dogboy, I remember the Philly streetcars from a trip we took shortly after our wedding. We visited Independence Hall and a streetcar line ran beside the Hall on either 4th or 5th street, I forget which. I took some photos and a streetcar conductor stopped his car in the middle of the block so I could get a good pic! I think they all run underground in tunnels in the center city now, don't they? I know they still run on streets in the outskirts of downtown, on out to outlying communities like Media. Several videos of them are on Youtube.

My trash truck could have been a Tonka product. I also had the road set with road grader, dump truck, and and gravel hopper which had a chute to load gravel in the truck. I rarely played with mine outdoors in order to keep them nice, so the *gravel* was make-believe.:D My son has a Tonka road grader which is still metal, but the wheels are plastic now. All of mine were destroyed in the same apt. bldg. storage room fire that ruined my trike and wagon, along with all my older sister's childhood toys and dolls.:( Dogboy, do you still have any of your childhood Tonka toys?

~Pramrider

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I was always fascinated by this ''haunted'' house in my town. I remember sometimes, 4-5 kids would gather round, we'd walk into the garden, hear a noise, and run back out!
Once did go in, and it was quite a dissapointment to find nothing of paranormal interest (I don't believe now, but then again, who doesn't believe in ghosts when he's a kid?)

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
What fascinated me as a kid was animals like snakes and frogs, drawing stuff and building stuff with legos.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I don't know the word in english, but I was fashinated by the big structures used to electrical lines, maybe caled Tension towers

Status
Not open for further replies.