• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

What does "next weekend" mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
Lets say today is Monday and someone says to you "Hey do you want to go swimming next weekend?"

What do you think which weekend they are talking about? This coming weekend or the weekend that is next week?

thedlguy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I think it means the weekend coming up so if today is friday, when they say next weekend, I would think the mean like tomorrow and sunday :D

Gaybee

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Next weekend is the one after the one coming up. If i ever get confused i just ask for the date they want to chill

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
for me it's the weekend coming up but as always i ask to be reminded of the date a few days before. always eliminates confusion

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
The weekend after this one. If they had wanted to hang this weekend, they would have said this weekend.

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't know. I will say next weekend to mean the weekend coming from friday to monday and then next weekend to mean the weekend after from tues - thurs, and 'this coming weekend' if i meant the weekend coming.

Normally I just specifiy: 'next weekend, as in not the day after tomorrow, but a week on saturday'

RedApple

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
If someone said next weekend to me today, I would assume they meant the weekend after this (8th Aug)

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Depends how early on the Monday they said it.
12am-6am This weekend.
6am+ Next week.

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'd ask for clarification. Their idea of 'next weekend' may not be the same as your idea of 'next weekend'.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
"Next weekend" is the end of next week.

If today were monday and you wanted to go out on friday/saturday/sunday you would say "This weekend"... as in the end of the week we are currently in.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
"This weekend" only applies if it'S actually the weekend the very second the term is said. Otherwise, you'd say "next weekend" for the next upcoming weekend (i.e. 5 to 1 days from the second it's said), or "past weekend" for the weekend that has just passed 1 to 5 days ago.
Referring to a weekend coming up in 8 to 12 days from now would be "Weekend after next" (the English language lacks a proper term for that anyway).

Peachy

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It means...trying to delete a stupid computer file that has nothing in it yet somehow it's still said to be being used by a program which could only be Fallout 3 and that is currently off, hell even Steam is off..

(stupid iPip mod)

L

lpoolboy

Hey!

Lets say it is Tuesday and I was meeting my friends next weekend, I would assume that would be next week's weekend, so a week on Saturday.

Lpoolboy :)

Role
Private
Lets say today is Monday and someone says to you "Hey do you want to go swimming next weekend?"

What do you think which weekend they are talking about? This coming weekend or the weekend that is next week?
I, like Talula, would (and do) ask clarification. However, note that the way you ask this will slant the response--and that's unavoidable, really.

If it's Monday, I'll assume that the person means "5 days from today," but ask, "you mean the weekend coming up?" If it's Friday, I'll assume that the person means "8 days from today," but I'll still ask, "tomorrow? Or a week from tomorrow?"

Of course, given how much I enjoy swimming and being with a friend, I'd just show up both weekends and figure it all out later.

"This weekend" only applies if it'S actually the weekend the very second the term is said. Otherwise, you'd say "next weekend" for the next upcoming weekend (i.e. 5 to 1 days from the second it's said), or "past weekend" for the weekend that has just passed 1 to 5 days ago.
Referring to a weekend coming up in 8 to 12 days from now would be "Weekend after next" (the English language lacks a proper term for that anyway).

Peachy
That's why I do all my day-measuring in fortnight-components.

"Let's do something 1/7 of a fortnight from today!"
--"Friday the 14th? Awesome!"

Fruitkitty

ADISC Content Editor
Staff
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I think the answer is irrelevant.

I generally get a good read based on body language and tone of voice. There are inevitably follow up questions about location, time of day, and so on; honestly, I can't think of a time when it wasn't made clear through all of the context that gets put around it.

I could imagine how the situation where it was unclear could come up, but I can never remember ever having to actually ask.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I thought I was the only person in the world who had difficulty understanding "next weekend"!

Because of that, I never use the phrase "next weekend" except in one instance, to be later illustrated. I will always say:

"The weekend coming up," to indicate the adjacent weekend, or
"The weekend after the one coming up," to indicate the weekend after the adjacent one.

The only time I say "next weekend" is if "next weekend" specifically refers to a major event for all parties of the conversation. Let's say that we've all decided to go on a cruise in the upcoming weekend. If I say, "Guys, I can't wait for next weekend," we all know exactly what I'm discussing without saying it.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
"Next weekend" is the end of next week.

If today were monday and you wanted to go out on friday/saturday/sunday you would say "This weekend"... as in the end of the week we are currently in.

Agreed. That's the way it is.

E

Elli

This one is always confusing. It should be simple, but it isn't. Not unless both parties mean the same thing by what they say. In the context, 'next' could mean,

1. The next weekend there is. (i.e. the next time it becomes a Saturday and then a Sunday)

2. A way of saying not this coming weekend, but the one after (or, the next one).

In another context, this would be nonsense. For example, if I said I would get the next bus, I wouldn't mean I'd miss the actual next one that came along and then board the one after! That would be stupid. But if someone saw a bus coming up the street and asked, 'Is this the bus you need to get?' and I said, 'No, I want the next one', we'd all know I'd mean that I intended to let this bus go past and get on the one after it. I guess it's all because we use the same words in different contexts instead of choosing a different word.

I often say something like, 'So not the weekend coming up, but the one after? Right?' Or, 'So not tomorrow, or the next day, or the next, but the day after that.'

A bit clarification can only be a good thing when arranging dates and times for things.

Status
Not open for further replies.