• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

What Does "GM" Stand For?

Pick GM's new name

• Gonna Maybe

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Got Maintenance?

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Gimmie Money

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Greedy Millionaires

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • General Meltdown

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Guzzler Machines

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Government Motors

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Butterfly Mage

Indigo Incarnates

There used to be a time that GM built cars and employed Americans. Nowadays, GM seems to be the government's favorite charity case. Now the government owns a controlling interest in GM. Amazing how the times have changed, eh? So, my minions, if you had to pick a new definition for "GM", what would your choice be?

-- Gonna Maybe. (As in "gonna maybe be profitable by the year 2020).

-- Gimmie Money. (As in "We just spend another $10 billion in taxpayer bailouts and have nothing to show for it!)

-- Greedy Millionaires. (Referring to the moribund executives that bankrupted GM in the first place)

-- Got Maintenance? (As in "the taxpayers are on the hook for GM's warranty work".)

-- General Meltdown. (Referring to how GM went from a 50% market share to a 15% marketshare in just five years.)

-- Guzzler Machines. (Referring to how their obsessive focus on Hummers and Escalades brought them to bankruptcy).

-- Government Motors. (Referring, of course, to the fact that the President of the United States is also effectively the President of GM too!)

I think this is one of those tests that there are now wrong answers, har har!

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
-- Government Motors. (Referring, of course, to the fact that the President of the United States is also effectively the President of GM too!)
Like Renault, British Leyland, and all those before it.

Or maybe General Malaise, or Gross Mismanagement

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's now Government Motors. It's actually kind of depressing as GM was finally starting to turn out a decent product after the load of [email protected] they turned out in the 80's and early 90's. I mean, the old cutlass ciera was about the least exciting car ever, same thing with the old delta 88 and the 98 and oh, god, the Buick Roadmaster.

It's a shame, Chevy finally had a decent product to compete with the imports, Malibu's and Impalas are competitive in that segment. Pontiac has a few decent models too, and reliability was getting better. Even Cadillac was coming around. If you had asked me 10 years ago if I would have ever considered buying a Cadillac, I would have cringed at the thought, nowadays, I would have loved to get a nice CTS-V, that's an exciting car.

I will say that I was strongly considering buying another GM car, the one I have now is great. However, due to the recent events, I think I'll consider something else.

I think they suffered from two main problems, unions nearly bankrupted them, and they had too many models of the same car. Case in point, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick & Saturn all had the same minivan, just re-badged. What I don't understand is why they are keeping GMC around, they offer nothing special, just re-badged chevy trucks.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I never seen a GM car break down as much as Japanese branded cars. American cars break down far less then Japanese cars and some European cars bread down less then american cars. Every region has their own quality of standards, from what I seen japan has the poorest. But that's what happens when your whole outer car frame is a big piece of plastic which cost's thousands to replace even after a simple fender bender.

Japanese cars < American < European (VW,Volvo, etc).

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I have 2 GM cars right now an 08 and an 02 both corvettes and have owned more GM cars than most people(because I buy and sell cars as a hobby now, but did it as a living for more years than I want to count) , I will buy more of them in the future.

I always prefered GM cars to all others, but they did get a little boreing, I hope this restructure makes more of the cars I like to buy and drive better than they ever have been.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Carer
Greedy millionaires. There is no form of life lower than a CEO, because you can't get to that level of success without having horrible skeletons in your closet.

dprdinky

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
There's other categories missing:

General Minister

Good Manure

Great Meaning

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Government Motors. Under NO circumstances should ANY private business be owned by the government.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I chose Government Motors, too. Just kinda rolls right off the tongue...:rolleyes:

Ahhh....I remember the good ol' days of GM, back when I had my '69 Z-28 Camaro....{sigh}:(

~Pramrider

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
GM is already being referred to by members of the media and the general public as "Government Motors".

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If you think GM is bad, imagine owning to Jeeps! Yes, I own two of them. Now I feel abandoned. I'm hot at all happy about my vehicle being supported by Fiat,but I guess it could be worse. Pity the poor soul who spent all that money for a Land Rover and now is the proud owner of a TaTa.

Even though GM is government motors, we do need to keep manufacturing jobs here in the U. S. We can't be a great nation if our only jobs are based in the service sector.

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
If you think GM is bad, imagine owning to Jeeps! Yes, I own two of them. Now I feel abandoned. I'm hot at all happy about my vehicle being supported by Fiat,but I guess it could be worse. Pity the poor soul who spent all that money for a Land Rover and now is the proud owner of a TaTa.

Even though GM is government motors, we do need to keep manufacturing jobs here in the U. S. We can't be a great nation if our only jobs are based in the service sector.
Especially with the quality of chrysler vehicles. My parents have owned an 01, 04 and 08 Jeep - all of them have problems.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
....Uh Guys...more Toyotas and Hondas are built in the US then Chevys or Fords...

Lazy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Incontinent
....Uh Guys...more Toyotas and Hondas are built in the US then Chevys or Fords...
True. And to the Range Rover owned by TaTa, i'd still prefer a Range Rover over any American car that's marketed as an off-roading machine.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
...and while we're speaking of GM, has anyone heard any news about their Electro-Motive Division, the part of GM which produces diesel railroad locomotives? All I've heard is the bad news about their automotive side, and wondered if their EMD side is still profitable. Possibly not, since the transportation industry is also in a slump with the rest of the economy. Not a time when the RRs are likely to invest in new power with many of their existing engines idled due to a decrease in traffic. Just curious since I've always been into trains.

~Pramrider

B

Butterfly Mage

And to think: If GM hadn't sold the EV1 patents to Chevron, they could have been competing with the Prius all these years. Well, karma can be a vengeful mistress, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.