What do you watch for TV?

LilMN said:
I read The Stand a while ago, but had no idea they made a miniseries about it. What platform is it on?

They've actually made two now; the first was from the 90's. I saw the new one on Amazon Prime (and had to do a free trial channel subscription thingie to see it), but it may be other places too.

Sapphyre said:
They've actually made two now; the first was from the 90's. I saw the new one on Amazon Prime (and had to do a free trial channel subscription thingie to see it), but it may be other places too.
Sweet, I'll have to check it out! I love King's books, but haven't seen much in terms of movies or TV series.

LilMN said:
Sweet, I'll have to check it out! I love King's books, but haven't seen much in terms of movies or TV series.
Wow, really? I have a bit of a collection... ^^; There have been lots and lots of adaptations of his work, frequently in the form of made-for-TV miniseries, and some are quite good (others... ehhh not so much). Stephen King often makes cameo appearances, and plays the lead character in "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" from Creepshow (1982).

Sapphyre said:
Wow, really? I have a bit of a collection... ^^; There have been lots and lots of adaptations of his work, frequently in the form of made-for-TV miniseries, and some are quite good (others... ehhh not so much). Stephen King often makes cameo appearances, and plays the lead character in "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" from Creepshow (1982).
That's sweet to hear that you have a collection, I definitely need to build mine up more. I've read a lot of his books on and off, but university really distracted me from continuing to explore more of his work. Do you have any other miniseries that you'd recommend? I might have to start binging them!

LilMN said:
That's sweet to hear that you have a collection, I definitely need to build mine up more. I've read a lot of his books on and off, but university really distracted me from continuing to explore more of his work. Do you have any other miniseries that you'd recommend? I might have to start binging them!

I quite enjoyed Rose Red and The Langoliers (despite the latter including truly terrible CGI toward the end), and also The Shining (which is dramatically different from Stanley Kubrick's movie, and much truer to the original story). There's lots of great movies too; offhand I'd strongly recommend Secret Window.

Sapphyre said:
I quite enjoyed Rose Red and The Langoliers (despite the latter including truly terrible CGI toward the end), and also The Shining (which is dramatically different from Stanley Kubrick's movie, and much truer to the original story). There's lots of great movies too; offhand I'd strongly recommend Secret Window.
Sweet, I'll start building a list with these. Thanks for the recommendations!

Reactions: Sapphyre
BobbiSueEllen said:
I watch MeTV, too! 🥳🖥️ Found 'em in 2014: I fell for 'em at first sight, plus they were there wherever I moved to. I'm a cord-cutter, run an amplified antenna because I detest cable companies. Also watch CoziTV, Movies!, AntennaTV and some other OTA networks.
Forgot about that. We put an antenna up at our vacation trailer too and it's one of the best channels.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Hard not to be 'political' about this (but not along petty party-political lines), in relation to the whysandwherefores of a choice, given that our dominant broadcaster, the BBC, is the State broadcaster and the only terrestrial provider, Freeview, is a State-provided platform...and all the social-class bias and anti-britishness which is a part of a thousand years of foreign rule 🤔

For news, of which I watch more than most people, BBC News is the default 'go to', but a big part of that is for the text service, despite that being very limited (I tend to compliment and supplement that with our sketchy internet provision, on which, the BBC is also the dominant news provider, simultaneously watching the news on telly and reading up on the net).
Given the offence doled out by our TV providers, I'm highly selective about what I watch, and which channels.
While I tend to opt for lighthearted or comical shows, in order to avoid being insulted and offended (and mostly, they're of an age, although there have been some very good modern shows, such as Keith And Paddy's Picture Show), I've fairly recently been drawn to PBS America. As with most things American, there's sufficient detachment from the social problems, here, to make the presentations more palatable.

My paid-for televisual entertainment comes by Amazon, on which I mostly watch things under the dubious banner of 'sci-fi' or some of the drama-thrillers (Bosch, Goliath, etc).
The Grand Tour and Clarkson's Farm are also favourites.

The bulk of my watching, though, seems to be DVDs, often of TV series; I'm currently re-watching Agents Of Shield, after which I may go on to Eureka or, perhaps, The IT Crowd 🤔

Considering that I'm disabled and unemployed, you'll probably be surprised to learn that I don't watch too much telly, for the hours of a day.
My mum, a disabled pensioner, has her telly on from dawn 'til bedtime. Baffles me why as it's all just whining and screaming garbage. And she's a bit deaf and doesn't wear her hearing aids, so I have to suffer all that, often postponing my telly-watching until she's gone to bed.

Oh, and I also like watching the sewing-machine presentations on a couple of the craft channels.

Last edited:
We cut the cord (cable) a few years ago ..it is all propaganda all the time from shows to commercials, my wife uses roko for her fix, I read on the computer and follow a few blogs, youtube a lot

• Love
BobbiSueEllen said:
I watch MeTV, too! 🥳🖥️ Found 'em in 2014: I fell for 'em at first sight, plus they were there wherever I moved to. I'm a cord-cutter, run an amplified antenna because I detest cable companies. Also watch CoziTV, Movies!, AntennaTV and some other OTA networks.
CoziTV is one of my all time favorite stations. I also like MeTv, just not as much because the only thing they show for most of the day is westerns and that can get dull after a while. but really i just watch whatever im in the mood for that day. between me and my sister we have all the streaming services covered so it just depends on my mood.

• Love
I don't watch news at all and today's 'entertainment' does nothing at all for me. I prefer to watch '70s-'80s stuff...even that's not perfect but it's far more tolerable. Very few '90s shows appeal to me, but a show like Frasier is good. And I utterly loathe talk shows, so-called 'reality-TV' and that worthless tripe on TLC and Discovery networks. But I do enjoy Thursdays & Sundays "Noir to Die For" on Movies! and other epic movies of the '50s to '70s.

My DVD collection has a few musicals, some adventure and loads of war films...I even have some newer war stuff like Enemy at the Gates, The Beast, Sniper or U-571. That's the stuff that holds my attention. That and The Battle of Britain, The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far, as I'm a big WW2 history buff.

Speaking of buff...I also have the Family Affair DVD collection because I utterly loved Buffy...I was 2 and still in diapers when I first saw her and developed a fatal crush on her. My girl persona is largely a hybrid of Buffy and Sue Ellen...those are two girls I'd love to be a blend of if I was a real girl. 👧🎀🤗🥰

Besides, red hair and/or pigtails are my Kryptonite. 🥴🥰

Last edited:
Reactions: chamberpot
Back