What do you like/hate with the Video Game Companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget false advertising, lots and lots of false advertising from FO76.

Last edited:
SnowPrincessSophie said:
Don't forget false advertising, lots and lots of false advertising from FO76.
Same with No Man's Sky :LOL:

SillyLiam said:
Same with No Man's Sky :LOL:

No. They were running out of money. It was either release or cancel. And it took a while, but 99% of what they promised is there. Plus some surprises they hadn't even promised.

Why they stayed quiet about everything after release though.... I don't know. I guess just some agreement with Sony about not mentioning financial stuff maybe? Or maybe they were afraid of death threats if they delayed again. Or maybe just inexperience with releasing such a hyped game.

Last edited:
DLC that add a new character to a game that breaks lore. (Looking at you Prothean Soldier DLC Mass Effect 3 >:c)

There's definitely a lot wrong with the western AAA games industry right now. They've gotten extremely rapacious over the years with the level of monetization their games have. Today it seems like they're building games around monetization rather than the other way around. Compared to games released even just 10 years ago, the typical AAA game today seems to have stripped out core content, then repackage what you should already get in the base game as numerous different DLC. Then they want you to pay for a 'season pass', try to upsell you on 'delux editions,' hound you about microtransactions in game or otherwise push you towards it, set up pseudo pay-to-win schemes with lootboxes or otherwise hide interesting things behind that gambling paywall, among other things. Then you have EA in particular pushing the "gaming as a service" thing, which really just means that you'll get 20% of the game you should be getting at launch, and then get an undefined amount of the game in installments over time--even though all of that content should have already been in the game at launch. But the real purpose of "gaming as a service" is to enable the studio to abandon the game if it bombs or players lose interest so they can just shift those developers to a new cash-grab game. Second to that is that most new AAA games are uninspired and feel very generic in every sense--art style, music, story, gameplay mechanics, etc.

Of course there's also the proclivity for a lot of game developers to be antagonist and abusive towards gamers while the studios they work for rarely hold them to professional standards or reprimand developers doing that (although there have been a few notable exceptions).

It's really a mess of a situation. I haven't bought a AAA game in many years ever since they started drifting in this direction. I can easily pay 1/5 the price for an older game and get at least 5x the content of almost any new AAA game. Rockstar may be the only general exception to this, though.

Reactions: Sgdlboy
So EA just had a pretty bad earnings report. At the moment it's down -19% after hours and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying this bit of schadenfreude. I only regret not shorting the company, but I'm a bit tied up into other things at the moment.

Anyway, hopefully this will be a moment of reflection for the western AAA games industry. EA really personifies everything that's wrong with the industry and was even the industry leader for many of the problems in games today. Now it seems that myopically trading their formerly decent reputation for short-term aggressive cash-grabs has come back to bite them in the rear end. Hopefully this will be the spark for a cultural change at AAA games companies, although I'm doubting it will.

Last edited:
BabyTyrant said:
By Video game Companies I mean any company involved with "Video Game Related Things", by which I mean it can be Game Developers, Studios, the companies that make Systems, the companies making Accessories for the systems.

As for the companies involved with making games; I hate how there seems to be this move the last 2 or 3 years where it seems a lot of the big game studios felt like putting Micro-Transactions in games, i mean if it was strictly cosmetic things at a cheap cost, in a fantastic game - that I dont mind at all.

But when the game is Subpar at best, and sometimes absolutely terrible (I'm looking at you FallOut 76) I feel like they shouldn't put micro-transactions in the game at all; maybe if these companies stopped with all forms of Micro-transactions (Loot boxes, extra EXP items Etc Etc) these games would be that much better.

Now I'm saying this because most games come at a cost, which can be quite high, quite low, or anywhere in between, and quality varies; but if the game sells at a price (especially if retail is $60+ tax) there shouldn't be any kind of micro-transactions (except maybe cheap cosmetic items) ; if a game is free however they would have to make money somehow and I'm alright with Micro-transactions in that case.

For video game console makers, I feel exclusives matter as why should I limit the amount of games available if I can have Multi-Platform games, and great exclusives - this is where Xbox fails and may improve in the coming years with some game Studios they bought in 2018. I love Sony and Nintendo for a slew of excellent AAA quality exclusives.

I kinda hate not having backwards compatibility as they could have kept that feature but Sony decided to ditch the feature and Xbox has a kind of Backwards Compatibility, and a better video game streaming service.

Beyond that I hate the trend of the majority of people switching to buying Digital Copies; call me old fashioned, but I like being able to physically collect things, being able to resell them (at times) especially if it ends up being a game I'm not all to thrilled with, majority cost recouped is better than 100% lost if you end up hating a game and are unable to return in.

To which I think if you buy a game even digitally and change your mind before even playing it you should be able to return it, especially if it is a preorder.

Also I have given up on Assassins Creed, they ruined it by changing it into something else, they could of easily made a 2nd Game Series (perhaps something new) into what Assassins Creed became, but of course it is easier to sell people into a game series they know has been around and has history; I liked earlier Assassins Creed games for being different, creative, and fun; Turning it into basically any open world RPG has ruined all that for me.

I gave up after some time of playing Origins and feeling like it was boring, overcomplicated, and hard to progress in; if I wanted to Grind there are better suited games for that where it feels like you get a very worthwhile reward at the end of it and feel like continuing to play those game AC is not meant to be what it currently is.

To me the True "Assassins Creed" games were Syndicate and earlier (best was Black Flag/IV; hands down)

Yes I agree Fallout 76 is a huge disappointment! I also have a problem with server only online games even single player is forced online. This ruined Sim City 5! I also like physical copies over digital copies, took me long time even to transition over to steam. And the only reason I bought from steam cause it was cheaper but always regretted not being able to buy the physical copy. I feel lots of new games baby you too much like signs and arrows not a lot of exploration in lots. But there is lots of games using the new space engine which allows to freely explore and fly in real time to many planets rather than one. They also managed to have no loading screens in this new engine. I also find that many games fail when they dont hand draw some the objects in only use generic 3d objects. In the old days I believe it was bit more creative and not as much corporate and making a ton of money. I was kid in the 90s and feel games felt more creative. Now this may because I'm older now going on 32 lol. I do enjoy computer gaming over consoles because I have mod control to and make the game what I want, enhancing graphics, gore mods, etc. I built my gaming computer and a former IT technician. So very much prefer the PC. I used to hate using the keyboard and mouse or weird generic gamepads but when the xbox 360 controller was first be able to play on pc games I never went back! Now I'm a bit sicko and enjoy lots of gore. I would love to develop my own game but unforntally don't have millions of dollars floating around now to hire a team. But I would like to make more realistic gore especially frostbite and damage to weather conditions. I also thought it would be cool idea if if say character gets limbs severed they have the option of getting a prosthetic like hook or something. Customizable prosthetics characters! I mean really severed limb shouldn't kill someone if you stop bleeding. I find it very unrealistic in lots of games, when you shoot a limb off they die instantly. Gore increases interactions with the physics engine and believe gives more power, to the weapon feel damage.

MrGnome said:
I used to hate using the keyboard and mouse or weird generic gamepads but when the xbox 360 controller was first be able to play on pc games I never went back!
That's something I try to tell people when I talk to them about pc gaming. It's ok to hate playing on the K&M because you don't have to! If one has bluetooth built into their PC or they have a USB bluetooth adapter, a wireless xbox one controller is easily paired and connected. I heard there is even a way to get wireless PS4 controllers working on PC too. Wired controllers are even easier to setup, if you so prefer. Which is nice because there are times where I'm feeling lazy and I just wanna sit back on the couch properly padded and play games on my HDTV with my wireless xbox one controller and that's what I often do in games that support xbox controllers out of the box, like No Man's Sky, Just Cause 3, American Truck Simulator, GTA V, Killing Floor 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrGnome
Chimera said:
If one has bluetooth built into their PC or they have a USB Bluetooth adapter, a wireless xbox one controller is easily paired and connected. I heard there is even a way to get wireless PS4 controllers working on PC too.

Not all Xbox One controllers have Bluetooth support unfortunately. I thought I had the model with Bluetooth support, and I tried in vain to connect it to my Bluetooth supported computer wirelessly. It turned out I read it wrong and it did not had Bluetooth support. Though, my PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller has Bluetooth support, as all models are designed to use Bluetooth to connect to the console. I used that instead to connect wirelessly. My Steam games incorrectly assign Xbox button icons when I'm using the DualShock 4 controller by the way, and some emulators don't support the PS4 controller.

Reactions: Chimera
ScriptedGamer said:
Not all Xbox One controllers have Bluetooth support unfortunately. I thought I had the model with Bluetooth support, and I tried in vain to connect it to my Bluetooth supported computer wirelessly. It turned out I read it wrong and it did not had Bluetooth support. Though, my PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller has Bluetooth support, as all models are designed to use Bluetooth to connect to the console. I used that instead to connect wirelessly. My Steam games incorrectly assign Xbox button icons when I'm using the DualShock 4 controller by the way, and some emulators don't support the PS4 controller.
Wow, that sucks. I was under the impression that all xbox one controllers had bluetooth support if they were wireless. I know that the xbox 360 controller used some type of proprietary wireless connection and it required you bought a xbox controller wireless adapter for your PC. I thought that all changed with the Xbox one controllers? I guess not exactly....

Sucks about Dualshock 4, before my xbox one controller I used to use a dualshock 3 controller on my PC wired and all the controls seemed to work just fine. I admit I was guessing that the dualshock 4 would have been easier to use on PC than the old controller, which required a program called motionjoy or something like that.

Chimera said:
That's something I try to tell people when I talk to them about pc gaming. It's ok to hate playing on the K&M because you don't have to! If one has bluetooth built into their PC or they have a USB bluetooth adapter, a wireless xbox one controller is easily paired and connected. I heard there is even a way to get wireless PS4 controllers working on PC too. Wired controllers are even easier to setup, if you so prefer. Which is nice because there are times where I'm feeling lazy and I just wanna sit back on the couch properly padded and play games on my HDTV with my wireless xbox one controller and that's what I often do in games that support xbox controllers out of the box, like No Man's Sky, Just Cause 3, American Truck Simulator, GTA V, Killing Floor 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, etc.
Yes actually I was able to get a PS3 controller working on my computer. I had use some weird chinese software to get it to work. But problem was, not all the buttons I could use. So I switched back to the Xbox controller. Yes exactly on the laziness part lol! I love to be able to slouch back on the couch and not have to bend my neck and look at tiny monitor. TV is way better sometimes and especially for lazy AB/DL people like ourselves haha!

I had some trouble using a PS3 controller on my PC, but my PS4 controller works easily

My Switch Pro Controller works flawlessly on PC

SnowPrincessSophie said:
My Switch Pro Controller works flawlessly on PC
Nice. Does it even show Nintendo Switch controller button prompts?

On steam itself it does, but in certain games it shows an Xbox controller overlay, but it still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back