What did your mental health professional say?

Please describe what happened after you told your menthal health professional about your AB/TB/DL/Si

• A plan of action was made to correct the perceived issue.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • The professional conceded that it is healthy or otherwise beneficial to you to continue it.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • No great concern was made and it was not discussed again.

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • I have chosen not to tell my professional.

Votes: 25 47.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I'm looking to see what the common responses were from mental health professionals (therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists etc.) when you told them about your AB/DL/TB/Sissy-isms.

After you vote, please post a little bit about the experience and how much you had chosen to tell the person about.

B

Butterfly Mage

I've been in therapy for dissociative identity disorder (DID) for over a decade. I did tell my counselor about the whole DL thing. But she basically thought it was such a low priority compared to the psychological train wreck of DID that the topic hasn't come up again after it was discussed once.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
No option for those who have never gone...I feel that I don't need a therapist/psychologist, so I wouldn't tell

T

Thunder

Why tell someone like that? If you're there for some other problem, i'd rather not bring up a new one. >.>

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I told my psychologist and he thought it was neat, he'd never heard of it before and it gave him something new to learn about. He took a midline approach to it really. We talked about it just about every visit, but it was neither good nor bad, just another part of me.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I chose "No great concern was made and it was not discussed again". That statement does not quite fit. He is not concerned but we do discuss or at least mention it once in a while. While I say "It just feels good" he prefers to think it connects me to a time when my parents cared for and took care of me. They did neither soon after I was out of diapers.

Nam

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
All of the ones I told 3, I think all took it rather well and said that it's normal, for me at least. I know the difference of using it the right way and just letting it overcome me. it's pretty much "letting your possessions own you" only in this case it's a fetish to some extent.

So in other words keep it to maybe a few hours a week or at bedtime and you should be fine.

WhiteWolf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
  2. Private
I actually did tell my therapist. That was actually the main reason i am currently seeing one. I do belive though, that the fact that i am a minor and my parent is the one who brought me in may have swayed her more to there side. I am no certain of this though. Though the way she said it to me is that there was a problem with my brain repeating or something along those lines. she belives that it was intended to be just a phase and can be cured by some pills. I have not recieved the pills but doubt theyll be helpfull. While I initially declined, i, in essence, have no option in the matter. I dont belive i got someone who actually wanted to understand it, but tried to cure it or help it.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I went to see a psychiatrist for several reason, diapers being one of them. This was when I was in college. He merely said I would outgrow it. He was wrong, but the other problems I had far outweighed the diapers. For one, I was borderline, I was going through a psychotic break, and I had tried to drown myself, so the diapers were meh.

AbsoluteBedlam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Other
I went to a psychologist for about a year nearly 5 years ago but never told him. I really wanted to as I felt that that would be a large turning point in my life. I simply never found the courage to do so... even with someone who is essentially sworn to secrecy.

One major problem was that I was being taken to a guy that was impossible for me to relate to so I just ended up telling him what he wanted to hear week after week until he decided that he didn't need to see me anymore.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I actually did tell my therapist. That was actually the main reason i am currently seeing one. I do belive though, that the fact that i am a minor and my parent is the one who brought me in may have swayed her more to there side. I am no certain of this though. Though the way she said it to me is that there was a problem with my brain repeating or something along those lines. she belives that it was intended to be just a phase and can be cured by some pills. I have not recieved the pills but doubt theyll be helpfull. While I initially declined, i, in essence, have no option in the matter. I dont belive i got someone who actually wanted to understand it, but tried to cure it or help it.

What you need to do is challenge the therapist to prove wearing diapers or snuggling plushies is harmful at all. In all likelihood she doesn't know anything about this and she is just guessing which is pretty damn wrong not only as a human in general but as a therapist. They are NOT there to judge people, they are there to help people.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
I chose "No great concern was made and it was not discussed again". That statement does not quite fit. He is not concerned but we do discuss or at least mention it once in a while. While I say "It just feels good" he prefers to think it connects me to a time when my parents cared for and took care of me. They did neither soon after I was out of diapers.

Nam

This is quite similar to my experience. :)

It's not exactly a "problem" per say.

(And I'm seeing him because I'm transgendered and my mother is a bitch, but I also told him about my TBism because the two are very very very intertwined.)

We talk about it nearly every day I see him. And, as is similar to Nam, I say, "I like it, it feels good." and he always insists, "It feels good as in.. It excites you? It feels good.. sexually?"

He absolutely insists that it's a completely sexual thing, and any emotional aspect is minor in comparison. *shrugs* Whatever. :)

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
<>
He absolutely insists that it's a completely sexual thing, and any emotional aspect is minor in comparison. *shrugs* Whatever. :)

That is a difference, mine only sees it as an emotional-comfort thing where as I also enjoy the sexual-fun aspect too. The differences aren’t important, the good part is that we and the others can share it with our therapists as a part of our quest to accept ourselves for what we are.

Nam

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
she belives that it was intended to be just a phase and can be cured by some pills.

If this is true, your therapist ought to have her license to practice yanked. Nothing like a therapist medicating a child because she has no understanding of a particular mental situation. :wallbash:

Scary stuff.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
That is a difference, mine only sees it as an emotional-comfort thing where as I also enjoy the sexual-fun aspect too. The differences aren’t important, the good part is that we and the others can share it with our therapists as a part of our quest to accept ourselves for what we are.

Nam

Too true.

My mom can keep paying for it to "cure" me all she wants.

I'm only going to go in order to understand and accept myself. No other reasons. ;)

BrattyBaby28

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
None of the above. It's new to him, and he asked if it was something I wanted to change. I told him no, so we're working on getting me to accept it more and be less embarrassed about it.

WhiteWolf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
  2. Private
Okay thanks, i probably wouldnt have taken the pill either way, not sure what would happen. But uhh, what should i say exactly? Im not very good with words and can either not get my point across or come off as an asshole, neither of which i want.

PFD

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I told my therapist at the time, maybe 20 years ago. He thought it interesting, it was new to him, and just another piece of the puzzle. His interpretation was that it was a comfort thing for me. I have/had disassociative disorder, which was also new in psychotherapy then. That's still an issue, although not nearly as pervasive. I'd as soon lose that. The diapers I'll keep.

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Repeat after me:

"If you want to medicate me because of something you don't understand, perhaps you should look for a different job"

Edit, let me clarify... If your therapist is looking to medicate you to resolve another issue, I can understand. That said, there is NO reason any doctor/therapist/psychologist should be prescribing you any medication for your interest in diapers exclusively. If they are, you should seek the consultation of another qualified therapist, and possibly report the original therapist to whatever governing entity holds his/her license.

Status
Not open for further replies.