What brand of Detergent to use with Cloth Diaper

Kephalos

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  • MACHINE WASHABLE: Designed to withstand hundreds of washing and drying cycles. Machine wash with warm or hot water and use detergent (not soap) that is free of fragrances, enzymes, and other additives. Avoid fabric softeners and anti-static products. Add about 1 cup of vinegar to the rinse water to help eliminate odors and keep the diapers fabric soft. Hang dry or tumble dry the shell on low heat. Tumble dry the insert on low to medium heat.
  • List of brands of Detergent that I can get in USA in store or online

Sounds like you are wanting something like the All Free and Clear, Dreft, or things like that.

I used to use Ivory Snow on the diaper loads when I had a regular washer. Now that we have the He washer (I always snicker when I put it in Baby Wear mode), I use either Kirkland (Costco) Free and Clear or the Arm and Whammer Free and Clear if I'm too far from the Costco.

Reactions: matt79
Tide Sport pods along with a cup of Oxyclean(y) They do a really good job of getting rid of any lingering smells and most pee stains. Bleach Alternative to bring back some whiteness from heavier stains.

Any non bio washing powder
If you were in Europe I would say Lidl's own brand Formil

I just use All "Free & Clear." A few years back, there seemed to be this push to use expensive soaps like Charlie's Soap and Rockin' Green and whatnot, and all the cloth diapering sites were pimping the stuff like crazy. Then, all of a sudden, POOF! Nobody seems to care anymore. Even major makers of cloth baby diapers, like Green Mountain, are backing off and saying that you can just use whatever big-name stuff you're using on the rest of your clothing.

...which is what I've always done. Even when our kids were in cloth diapers, we just used All or Tide.

I’m starting to get into cloth myself, and I was reading earlier Tide Original powder works well on cloth diapers without compromising performance. I’m about to do a load of laundry here shortly, so I’ll post later with my findings.

Last edited:
PaddedBrony said:
I’m starting to get into cloth myself, and I was reading earlier Tide Original powder works well on cloth diapers without compromising performance. I’m about to do a load here shortly, so I’ll post later with my findings.
Hopefully not a load in yer diapers first :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dreft or really any detergent with a fabric sofetner. I would also add lysol sanitize liquid.3319533196

extremecomfy said:
Dreft or really any detergent with a fabric sofetner. I would also add lysol sanitize liquid.View attachment 33195View attachment 33196
They say to avoid fabric softener at all costs. Apparently it takes away from the absorbency. Same thing goes for towels and whatnot.

So, I did exactly like the washing instructions said to do for my pocket diapers, washing with a basic, powder detergent (Tide in this case), on warm, no bleach, no fabric softener, etc, with a double rinse. They came out of the washer as good as new. Went into the dryer on low heat for about an hour, and were perfectly fine. Looked and felt the same.

My two cents on this: follow the instructions, and try not to overthink it. Just get some Tide Original powder detergent, and you should be good. No need to buy the extra fancy cloth diaper detergent.

Reactions: Kephalos
I always use dreft when washing my cloth diapers (which I seldom use now). I liked the scent, and it seemed like the detergent got my diapers a little more cleaner than others did.

Back