What are your thoughts on the vaccine?

ade said:
Isn't that the usual way to get it?
🤪
I'm sure @Beowulf meant another human, not the animal the meat came from! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Let's go over some of the misinformation that has floated around the internet.

1. "The COVID-19 vaccine was rushed into production and is suspect since many new drugs and vaccines take years to develop and release."
Most new drugs and vaccines takes years to develop and release because ALL of the trials and testing are done sequentially. It's a law of economics for the companies producing these compounds--if it fails one step along the way, that's it, game over, the product is dead. Why spend the money to run all of the testing at once if you don't know whether or not things will work? For the COVID-19 vaccine, the mortality rate is so high that not having a vaccine could cause major issues planet-wide and governments were helping push for concurrent testing and trials instead of sequential. The vaccine passed all the same trials and tests that everything else has to pass.

2. "The COVID-19 vaccine has killed thousands of people as well."
This is false. There is a database that the FDA and CDC maintain to track fatalities and adverse reactions to vaccines. People who have passed away in a short time frame after receiving the vaccine have been entered into the database for the FDA/CDC to investigate and see if there may have been anything related to the vaccine that could have hastened the death.

3. "COVID is just a nastier version of the flu."
We get people falling ill and dying every year from standard influenza. It happens, again usually with older populations and those with other medical conditions. The difference is that 99.97% of the people who get the flu every year recover. That's right, mortality from the regular flu virus is 0.03%. Mortality from COVID is above 1% (and is a lot worse in less developed countries). New variants of COVID coming out now are more contagious and just as deadly as earlier ones.

4. "A lot of people who got the flu this year were listed as COVID."
Again, false. The flu this year was a non-event. Why? Because everybody was already taking major precautions to avoid catching a respiratory virus that transmits in much the same way as the flu. Suddenly, the number of flu cases became tiny.

5. "I'm young and healthy, I take precautions, I should be able to weather it without the vaccine."
May as well put all your money on one number for roulette. You're taking a major chance if you don't listen to the doctors and scientists. Plenty of young and healthy people are now needing lung transplants or severely limited in what they can do after contracting COVID. Do yourself a favor and Google 'long COVID' and learn for yourself what long term effects for some people are. You may be one of the lucky ones and have a low virus load with minor symptoms and come out of it easy. Or you may have trouble where blood clots force amputation of limbs. The vaccine is shown to either prevent or drastically limit the severity of symptoms if you contract COVID after receiving it.

For me, it was a no-brainer. I'm a skydiver. I enjoy the thrill of jumping from a plane, I love the freedom it gives me. Why should I carry a reserve parachute if roughly 0.1% of jumps end up in a malfunction? I've got a 99.9% chance of making it! That sounds great if you're only ever doing one jump. Do a few hundred a year and your risk goes up. I've needed my reserve twice already. I walked away from both incidents. For me, those risks were all personal, the odds of somebody else being the cause of my issues was tiny.

With COVID, it's only a 1% risk of death if you catch it, right? Of course, don't ignore the 30+% of people fighting 'long COVID'. Now you need to run to the store or you want to go out to eat. Every time you step outside of your 'bubble' your risk goes up. The bad thing is that even when you do things to protect yourself, other people and their behaviors increase your risk. Someone isn't wearing a mask even though you are? You could end up with it entering through your eyes if they transmit it to you.

So would you rather take a risk on a vaccine that has less than 0.001% mortality rate, or with a virus that has a 1% mortality rate?

• Love
Reactions: LilGweggyPup, Teddy02, Diaperman95 and 4 others
I think there are tribes out there in isolated islands that haven't even been exposed to the covid.

Beowulf said:
My biggest worry is that the vaccine got made very quickly, side effects can be severe, and we still don’t know what the long term effects are.

Sure one could argue that getting the vaccine and side effects is better than the virus but that also assumes you’re going to contract it. I’m still on the fence about getting it because the science worries me.

That’s just my natural skepticism. After hearing about all sorts of complications I don’t feel safe taking it.
You know that is or choice and I understand your concerns an had several of the same thoughts to be honest!! And right off my first response was I am not taking that shit. But then I thought about it some more and then we lost some more good family members one in pretty good shape but a little older and it was a tough loss.
Everyone carrying immunities to the virus that got vaccinated are what is stopping the spread now. The 1st of the month I went by a friends house we cooked some burgers and made some them Good brownies With the high THC and hang out all evening. Then we go from them to party at my kids for a day or 2 just to relax and play games. Well the friends I has hanging with first day called me the next morning and sent several text to call him ASAP. So of our two friends that live there she refused to take her covid shot but he had taken one. But by the next day when he calls me he said that his old ladies blood sugar got way high {like 900 ouch} so he took her to the ER and did a rapid Covd test plus treated the insane high blood sugar. She tested positive though because you know she didnt want to get it. Now the wife and me are directly exposed like we baked together in the kitchen and licked a spoon type deal. . But my kid and her spouse have not did their shots yet either and even though we had. So they took off work 14 days to be safe and I stayed close to home all month as well .My friends wife had active covid with a fever and cooked for all 3 of us and the other 3 of us was just fine. And he lives i the same house and never got it.

so I have seen about 4 really close people to me pass from it. It does not care what sex or race or anything else you are. I just hope as you guys that move on and refuse this treatment. I hope that you follow back up on it soon enough and reevaluate why you wont take a vaccines.. Maybe with time you will say this was worth taking a vaccine. Just because I respect your right to refuse doesn't mean that I shouldn't try and convenes you guys the importins of Vaccines. I can say first hand the maderna vaccine worked well for me. I felt a little drained on energy the day after the first dose but other than that never noticed nothing bad yet. Except I should of had it and didn't because of the shot.

landingxray said:
I think there are tribes out there in isolated islands that haven't even been exposed to the covid.
I wouldn't be too sure of that...
MAYBE - but it they even briefly (more than 15 minutes or so.) had any contact whatsoever with any of the rest of us for any reason at all - they likely were exposed.

Beowulf said:
Yea now that’s something that’s always scared me. AIDS is a death sentence, COVID isn’t. I’m merely weighing the possibility of contracting it vs getting the vaccine that may have side effects that could also kill me as it has done to other, albeit very few.

I never took this whole COVID debacle seriously, mainly because everyone was panicking but it all seemed silly to me. I watched people literally fight over toilet paper and scream if someone sneezed! Obviously that’s changed a bit but even still.

When I say I’m isolated I mostly just sit at a desk away from people currently, and barley go out. Thant being said a friend made a good comparison, it’s no different than the shots we had to take as kids, and no one wants polio.

I just don’t care for the “think of other people” argument; it’s a morally corrupt argument because it seeks to shame rather than defend its stance; not because I don’t care about others but I just never saw it any more than a extra spicy flu that mainly affected elderly and people with prior complications.

My doctor wasn’t in but the attendant on the phone said it shouldn’t be an issue with the scar tissue in my lungs, so that’s one concern done.
oh glad it was nothing serious and only the spicy flu. Yet 4 people in my family are gone for ever. But they just must of been geriatric and in bad shape I guess and deserved it? Was it blown out of proportion on how deadly it was? I would say yes a lot and the government paying hospitals thousands for treating covid patients that passed. This made it so Covid got reported as cause of death in ever case that someone died, Like the guy that had the mild case but still out riding his bike and got hit by a car and died, yet they reported it as a covid death. Yes we get that those thing elevated our numbers in the US a lot. But to say it was nothing but the spicy flu just shows how truly under educated you are on the subject. The truth is the disease had a mind of its own some people hardly had symptoms but others could not even breath for themselves. That's nothing like the Flu.

I think it's still good. 😊

If someone says it's bad I hope every roach in their bedroom wall comes out and, like a marching band, spells the words "it's good, do yourself a favor" in bold, dark, brown letters! 😜

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle and nwm
Diaperman95 said:
Covid got reported as cause of death in ever case that someone died, Like the guy that had the mild case but still out riding his bike and got hit by a car and died, yet they reported it as a covid death. Yes we get that those thing elevated our numbers in the US a lot.
That did not happen. Stories of that sort collapse on investigation the same way lies about election fraud did. They were “it happened to a friend of a friend” level tales shared by an echo chamber of misinformation. Ask the nurses who provided the actual care what they think of those stories.

The universal agreement in the scientific community is that Covid has been substantially underreported, not over-reported.

Reactions: tiny, surprise35, ThePaddedTurtle and 1 other person
landingxray said:
nwm said:
I wouldn't be too sure of that...
MAYBE - but it they even briefly (more than 15 minutes or so.) had any contact whatsoever with any of the rest of us for any reason at all - they likely were exposed.

I'm sure the Sentinelese have dodged it. You might say they're really good at social distancing... :p

Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle and nwm
Sapphyre said:
I'm sure the Sentinelese have dodged it. You might say they're really good at social distancing... :p
Well o.k. MAYBE them.
But it's still a MAYBE - THEY may avoid us, using deadly force if needed to make sure of that. But do inter-act (sometimes) with other tribes that may not go to such extremes to avoid it...
So yes there is a very good chance - but still no 100% guarantee. - And after reading that, I suely am NOT willing to even try to go there to find out!

Reactions: Sapphyre
Going to get the J&J today because I realize I’m a moron. There’s a lot of distrust in the US and dis-information, that’s why our vaccination rates are low.

Last edited:
Reactions: buridan, nwm and sinceiwassmall
MailCat581 said:
Another myth. Human Coronavirus has been around since the dawn of time. There is not a tribe on Earth that has not had some kind of contact whether fatal or non fatal with it.
Well, Coronavirus in general yes - but that is a type, and not all are deadly - the common cold is a Coronavirus! COVID specifically as pointed out, I could see a theoretic possibility - but do find it UNLIKELY.

Reactions: CrazySmoker and Sheepies
I trust the science behind it and got both jabs of Moderna as soon as I could.

Had little to no side effects other than a sore arm and headache. Both of which were taken care of with just a little Tylenol.

I'm proud to do my part in protecting my community and feel not getting a vaccine if you're able is selfish. It gives the virus a host to continue spreading and mutating. Viruses cannot live on their own for long if there is no host.

The misinformation surrounding the vaccine is absolutely disgusting as well. Don't even get me started.

If you can, please get vaccinated. Look what we did to smallpox, measles, and polio using vaccines in the past. Covid could be the same.

Reactions: surprise35, Diaperman95, ThePaddedTurtle and 2 others
MailCat581 said:
If the vaccines were good; why are fully vaccinated people STILL getting COVID?
If condoms work why do people still get pregnant? Condoms must be useless then.

You're not only far less likely to get infected, you're also more likely to have a milder case and be less infectious to others as your body knows how to fight the virus with a vaccine and you won't reach the same high viral load levels as an unvaccinated person.

Reactions: tiny, surprise35, FishDL and 1 other person
If you wish to get vaccinated, do so. If you don't wish to get vaccinated, don't. Don't try to shame anyone regardless of the choice they make.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: nwm, tiny, ThePaddedTurtle and 2 others
Peesalot said:
If you wish to get vaccinated, do so. If you don't wish to get vaccinated, don't. Don't try to shame anyone regardless of the choice they make.
Not good enough. Not moral, not informed and not adult.

You might just as well say: “If you wish to respect red lights, do so. If you don’t wish to, don’t.”

This isn’t just about you. It’s about the risk you as an unvaccinated person in a worst-in-a-century pandemic pose to everyone around you — including your family, your friends and neighbours (and me, and mine). It’s not some meaningless preference. It’s life and death.

• Love
Reactions: tiny, surprise35, Sheepies and 2 others
Back