what are your experience with cloth diapers?

Greuppe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
i got a pair of cloth diapers that arrived about a week ago (this model: https://abdlfactory.com/adult-size-washable-pocket-diapers-multiprint) and i love them. the texture feels great, they look adorable and best of all, they will save a lot of money in the long run. the only thing i haven't done yet is to use them, but i have additional absorbing layers that i put in them, so it should cope pretty well (it also makes them thicker, which i like).

it makes me wonder, though, do any of you have any experience with cloth diapers? i know disposable diapers are standard, and i'm curious as to why that is the case.

Reactions: AliB, Jr2012, chuck and 1 other person

LinkDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I don't have good experience with these types of diapers, they gave me a rash on my butt and they hold very little pee.

Last edited:

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Cloth nappies have never appealed to me. I'm a plastic backed disposable guy.. I'm 37.

Greuppe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
LinkDL said:
I don't have good experience with these types of diapers, they gave me a rash on my butt and they hold very little pee.
fair enough, i haven't used mine yet, so i'll see if it holds up for me or if i run into the same issues.

mistykitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
Greuppe said:
i got a pair of cloth diapers that arrived about a week ago (this model: https://abdlfactory.com/adult-size-washable-pocket-diapers-multiprint) and i love them. the texture feels great, they look adorable and best of all, they will save a lot of money in the long run. the only thing i haven't done yet is to use them, but i have additional absorbing layers that i put in them, so it should cope pretty well (it also makes them thicker, which i like).

it makes me wonder, though, do any of you have any experience with cloth diapers? i know disposable diapers are standard, and i'm curious as to why that is the case.
i have a couple and they do fit pretty comfortably but as LinkDL said absorbency leaves something to be desired but I don't think it has as much to do with the amount it can hold because many can hold similar to disposables but it just can't absorb as fast as disposables. that being said I feel that they are good once in a while (which is why I have mine) but I usually stick with disposable tena and abuniverse stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greuppe

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Quite a bit of experience. I currently use Drylife terry squares, and have a bridseye twill contoured prefold (i think its babykins might be wrong on that) and several of These from Dotty diaper co.

I have used pocket diapers like the one in your image but was never impressed with them, I found they didn't hold much, wicked like crazy onto clothes, were to tight or too loose on the popper spacing and just generally too low cut on the waist.

I have also made a few of my own both diaper style and pull up pockets, as well as a G diaper style Pull up pants.

Love me some cloth.

Reactions: AliB and Cottontail

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Greuppe said:

I work from home and wear cloth diapers almost exclusively while I'm around the house. I've lately been using these Rearz wraps. They're not perfect, but they're pretty darned good. Like @Belarin, I do a bit of my own cloth diaper sewing as well, but I have yet to make plastic pants or other waterproof covers. (That adventure will begin very soon. I've been collecting ideas for too long!)

My other longtime favorite arrangement is a pinned prefold with pull-on plastic pants.

I have a few pocket diapers in my stash. The ones I use most often are from Snap-EZ. They're very stretchy and can be pre-snapped and used like pull-ups, which is kind of nice. I've not tried the Rearz pockets. My usual objections to pocket diapers are:
  • The pocket material gets wet, so you can't immediately re-stuff the pocket and feel dry again.
  • The crotch width, like that of most all-in-one (AIO) cloth diapers, tends to be narrower, so you can't get as much padding in the crotch.
That said, I heartily endorse your experimentation with cloth and I hope it goes well. In the end, if you find yourself liking cloth diapers, you'll probably want a varied stash anyway, so there's not really a "wrong" way to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: MetalDan86, Greuppe, Belarin and 1 other person

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Cottontail said:
but I have yet to make plastic pants or other waterproof covers. (That adventure will begin very soon. I've been collecting ideas for too long!)
PUL is not that bad to work with, it can be a bit slippery on the foot of the machine but it's easy enough. The big tip I would offer for PUL is that when turning the edges for seams or elastic casing make sure you fold it with the plastic side out or it wicks quite bad.

Also try to keep stitching through the PUL to as minimum as possible, oviously lots of holes make it more prone to leaks, supposedly you can use an iron on a low-medium heat on the seams you sew to help seal the PUL around the thread, I havn't tried this yet and would want to do it on a test piece first.

Reactions: Cottontail

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
Belarin said:
PUL is not that bad to work with, it can be a bit slippery on the foot of the machine but it's easy enough. The big tip I would offer for PUL is that when turning the edges for seams or elastic casing make sure you fold it with the plastic side out or it wicks quite bad.
I'll for sure keep that in mind. I have a good little stockpile of plain white PUL just waiting for me to butcher it. :) I figured I'd start there, as it was cheap, and my favored approach to learning is to dive in and fuck up, LOL.

I purchased a bunch of FOE, figuring I'd wrap the edges in that, but almost every time I play with that stuff I end up regretting it. It's Satan. (No, that wasn't a typo.)

Belarin said:
Also try to keep stitching through the PUL to as minimum as possible, oviously lots of holes make it more prone to leaks, supposedly you can use an iron on a low-medium heat on the seams you sew to help seal the PUL around the thread, I havn't tried this yet and would want to do it on a test piece first.
I've gotten a few PUL-covered AIOs with care instructions that advise drying them first on high heat to seal the seams. I wonder how well that actually works. That, too, seems worth an experiment.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Cottontail said:
I'll for sure keep that in mind. I have a good little stockpile of plain white PUL just waiting for me to butcher it. :) I figured I'd start there, as it was cheap, and my favored approach to learning is to dive in and fuck up, LOL.
Lol same here, learn more from mistakes than by getting it right first time.

Cottontail said:
I purchased a bunch of FOE, figuring I'd wrap the edges in that, but almost every time I play with that stuff I end up regretting it. It's Satan. (No, that wasn't a typo.)
I have totally avoided that stuff so far, want to try it but A) don't like elastic against the skin and B) yeah it's evil stuff, all my elastic has been in enclosed cases. I did also try using jersey ribbing to do waistbands and cuffs, thats a pain too but does give a nice comfy finish.

Cottontail said:
I've gotten a few PUL-covered AIOs with care instructions that advise drying them first on high heat to seal the seams. I wonder how well that actually works. That, too, seems worth an experiment.
Might work, still I don't like the idea of tumble drying them, maybe try on a small scrap piece first.

Hunter185

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I wear something very similar to the OP's picture, but with snaps. I have tried the velcro but it wears out. I just use terry squares inside folded over twice and that works great. They absorb a lot. Plastic pants over the whole works and haven't had a leak.

Dragon64

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I tried using mine once. The inserts can only hold a single wetting and for me they need to be positioned more towards the front of the diaper that the middle. The wicking material stays wet and I don't know how to dry it off quickly before I put a fresh insert in. The inserts tend to get bunched up when I put them in the pocket so I have to pull them from the other side to straiten them out. I would use it more often but I still have 7 bags of little kings

toddler

I love wearing cloth nappies and plastic pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Greuppe said:

back wearing cloth nappies at 34 years old and I love waering cloth nappies as my mum uesd them on me when I was a baby. unfortunately tay I keep away from disposable nappies as bad for the environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cottontail and chuck

chuck

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I wear cloth diapers almost 100% of the time. They are very absorbent and for night time use I add a pre-fold stuffer in the front. Plastic pants are a must and that makes them better than most disposables on the market today. Plus if you can afford the time to maintain them, your costs will go down significantly.

Reactions: Zeke, howiebabe and Cottontail

OldTerry

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Brought up in them.wear at home ,my nappy and rubbers are bulky at night, 60 inch squares folded modified kite and booster cloth insert with xxxl rubbers to complete envelop the nappy.
Holds lots of wee safely
Daytime I wear 48 inch Terry nappies not so bulky and if I go out I use a tykable dubbler wrapped in a muslin square for absorption.
Also use a paper nappy liner like a bed roll cover helps nappy changing
I can wear this latter nappy going out

Reactions: wowser81

PuffPuffPaci

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I happen to prefer cloth over disposable. I use Eco-able covers. I haven't tried any of the adult inserts, but I have used ones from a company called Nora's. That along with two Terry towels and one muslin cloth will hold about two wettings. I would imagine using a proper insert would get me more mileage. Sometimes I put this whole situation over top of a Goodnites disposable. That's assuming I had no accidents during the day. Cuz I'm not going to waste a Goodnites.

I like them because the absorption is customizable, I find them a very comfortable, I also very much like the designs. Aesthetically, I think I look very fetching in a cloth diaper versus a disposable one. Also, after the initial buy-in, you don't ever have to buy it again. Paired with the good night they can go for about three wettings.

The downside is, they don't absorb very fast. Also you're going to be doing more laundry. There's some level of special care that needs to be taken with these kinds of items versus just a regular pair of jeans. It's not difficult or anything, but they're going to need to be washed separately. There's a little bit of trial and error as well figuring out what works best for whatever your situation is.

scdiaperfect

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Incontinent
I have several types(different sources) of these pocket diapers. Generally they work fine for daytime use. They are comfortable and easily adjusted depending on the type and thickness of insert. When I use them I go back and forth between using a cloth soaker as an insert or a disposable liner. This is dependent on how my IBS is treating me. If I'm having trouble with poopy retention then I'll use an Abena AbriSan "9" or "11". Otherwise I'll stick with a variety of cloth inserts depending on how much I'm peeing.

My experience with them is, as I mentioned, that they work OK for day use. They are low profile and low bulk. However they do not, at least for me, have enough capacity nor coverage for overnight. Given the style there just isn't enough capacity potential.

An additional plus is that there are numerous color and graphic designs available making them a fun option.

Reactions: Napincolove

Napincolove

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
If I could I would wear cloth Nappies 24/7 but I find them too bulky and not absorbant enough.
I love the feeling of them wet or dry and of course the plastic pants over the top of them too!

Reactions: wowser81

CoryCoyote

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I really enjoy them. They're nice and soft when they're dry, and the wetness sticks around which I also really like. Customizable absorbency is a plus, and I can add pretty much all the bulk I want! With the roommate situation, though, and shared laundry, I've been finding disposables way more convenient lately. Hopefully when they all clear out, I'll be able to go back to them more often. The initial outlay is kind of a pain, but since they're washable, I've found it to even out over the long run.

The cute designs are also a plus. I mostly use the ecoable ones, and I've found that the outer covers work really well for containing leaks. They're also really nice for covering up my boring medical diapers when I want to wear something cuter.

Reactions: chuck, skylanderpamp and foxkits

MaxxH

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Greuppe said:
Back in the day cloth WAS the standard. When I was a real life baby, disposables didn't yet exist.

While I'm MegaMaxx'd (pun intended) at the moment, cloth is my preference when I have time to do laundry. The bulk and feel are better than any disposable whether wet or dry. Cloth is alsoa better choice for bedtime, especially if you're a side sleeper. A nighttime prefold will hold as much as any disposable IMO. The downside is laundry.

I have prefolds and a couple pull ons in my stash along with plastic pants. I've tried AIO's (waterproof outer cover) and really like the look and feel, but they take forever to dry. That's not a good thing if you're still in the diaper closet as I am.

My current favorite cloth option is cotton jersey sheet folded to diaper size and pinned up. The stretchiness of the fabric lets me pin first, then pull it on. It's also stealthier come laundry time. If Mrs. Maxx stumbles across it, it's only a sheet. Drying time is a fraction of a prefold. Bulk, feel, and capacity compare well to a purpose built prefold.