What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Simple enough question: what book are you reading right now and what do you think of it? The searchamatron reveals a similar thread posted way back when but it's closed now.

I'm reading The Autumn of the Patriarch by Gabriel García Márquez at the moment. It's about the eternal dictator of some hundreds of years of an unspecified country and the effects of power and such. It's of Márquez's typical magic realist style and is basically allegorical to the Latin American dictators around the time it was written.

I'm a fan of his and loved One Hundren Years of Solitude, but I'm finding this one a little harder going. It's very dense and a bit all over the place, which is kind of his usual style, but it's been a little bit of an obstacle for me to really get into the book and I've found it difficult to give it the proper concentration I do when I'm really enjoying a novel. I'll stick with it though, as I hate leaving a book unfinished.

Not sure what will be next but I'm thinking about a change of pace with some P.G Woodhouse or maybe even Terry Pratchett.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Continuing in my books I should have read, but haven't saga, I'm currently reading The Catcher in the Rye. It's goddam good.
Only just started it though, so no further rating.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The Catcher in the Rye is one of the best books I've ever read. I hope you enjoy it, Charlie!

Right now, I'm reading Water for Elephants, which is an outstanding story that involves life in a depression-era traveling circus, and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown ... you know, the one the movie is based off of!

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I love Catcher in the Rye...I'm not reading any books at the moment though...

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson, so far its pretty good. It suprised me how different it is from his other works e.g. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, but its nice to see an other side of him and see that he can actually do different type of books and not just ones about his crazy adventuers with drugs!

S

soren456

My signature usually says what I'm reading and what I've just finished.

I emphasize Pleasure in it because it is what I'm doing beyond required school reading, which isn't always a pleasure. (I will be a college junior in the fall.)

I'm about to start The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Continuing in my books I should have read, but haven't saga, I'm currently reading The Catcher in the Rye. It's goddam good.
Only just started it though, so no further rating.

One of my favorite books, especially since I had a psychotic break my senior year in college. I also had one when I was in 7th grade, so believe me, I could relate to Holden. I still wonder where the ducks go in the winter.

Right now I'm reading the first Harry Potter book, Sorcerer's Stone. I'm reading it for the mechanics, seeing how she handles dialogue as well as her pacing. I'm interested in how she advances the plot, going from one event to the next. I also want to see how she developes her characters. This is because I'm writing a book. I probably have 40 or 50 pages so far.

In addition to that I'm also reading "The Writing Life" by Annie Dillard, and then will probably read "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" which she wrote at Holland's College here in Virginia.

MsClara

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
I got bored with Catcher in the Rye... just him floating around New York, being young and lost and "crazy" (sorry takes more crazy than that to interest me...)

Currently reading 'Haunted' by Kelley Armstrong... it was leant to me with assurances it contained (some) erotica-for-girls...

S

soren456

The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson, so far its pretty good. It suprised me how different it is from his other works e.g. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, but its nice to see an other side of him and see that he can actually do different type of books and not just ones about his crazy adventuers with drugs!

I had no idea he wrote a novel. I'll get it.

A point of history: My dad told me how he read Hunter Thompson installment-by-installment in The Rolling Stone while he was in college. He said he used to look forward to finding the newest issue on the newsstand so that he could see if Thompson had written something new. (Along with other writers he liked.)

A

Asher

Right now, I'm reading Manhunt by James Swanson, and I have to say that it is a pretty good read.

Dogboy: That's awesome that you are writing a book. What's it about?

- Asher

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I don't really like The Catcher in the Rye. I read the whole thing and I can see how people like it, but for me it just doesn't do anything that I haven't already felt I experienced for myself. Anyways the only books I got left to read are the latter Narnia books and the last Artemis fowl book which are all rather boring when compared to their past books.

I might read Fight Club again, I dunno.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
  3. Private
The Damnation Game.

I'm reading it for English, and it's freaking amazing. The writer, Clive Barker, is increadable, and all of his discriptions are perfect. It's a horrer story, so he's writing things like being killed by a rotting zomby dog. It sounds lame, but it was described so perfectly, and the situation so ironic, that it gave me a wicked case of the chills.

Senior year english is sweet. you get to read the coolest books.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The Dam Busters by Paul Brickhill, 1951, the story of the dam-busting bouncing bomb, Barnes Wallis who invented it, and 617 squadron who dropped it, and went on to be the elite British low-level bombing squadron of WWII, developing new techniques of bombing, flying high risk missions, and collecting medals.

Prussic_aux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Red Rabbit a Clancy novel.

Wow, I thought the title of this thread was what are you reading as in what you are reading at this moment.

EvaIlyxtra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
  5. Private
i am not an avid reader and I think Catcher in the Rye is probably one of the worst books I have ever read. i am currently reading Macbeth in school and I believe that this play is the first play that I am actually interested in reading due to its productive storyline and strong passion I would recommend this play any day. Also Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Right now, I'm reading Manhunt by James Swanson, and I have to say that it is a pretty good read.

Dogboy: That's awesome that you are writing a book. What's it about?

- Asher

It's a haunting story, called "The Haunting of Ong's Hat". Ong's Hat is a forgotten town in Southern New Jersey. The story is about a father who loses his job in the economic downturn, and moves his family into his aunt's old Victorian home along the bay. Not only is the house haunted, but the whole town is taken over by "something". It's going incredibly well so far. I'm hoping to get the "Harry Potter" crowd because of the vast readership.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The Dam Busters by Paul Brickhill, 1951, the story of the dam-busting bouncing bomb, Barnes Wallis who invented it, and 617 squadron who dropped it, and went on to be the elite British low-level bombing squadron of WWII, developing new techniques of bombing, flying high risk missions, and collecting medals.

The movie was on TCM tonight, not a bad one.

I don't have time to read much in the summer but just bought Red Star Rouge the untold story of a Soviet submarine's nuclear strike attempt on the U.S.. That will be my next read.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Twilight.....

....don't ask >.< there a reason behind me reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.