WFH causing OAB

This is really interesting, I’d say that I definitely feel the need for a wee much more often than I did when I was in the office, and as a result need to go more often.

Could be down to the copious amounts of tea I get through though! Probably a combination of both.

I have noticed that the average amount I pee has decreased while maintaining the same level of having to go since staying home so much the past 7 months. I am definitely drinking more water too so that could have something to do with it.

Reactions: JustinCace
That is interesting! If this goes on for another year, maybe there will be millions of people having to go back to the office in nappies 😂

It is similar to the effect that us ABDLs sometimes find when we wear for an extended period of time and get out of the habit of holding it.

• Haha
Reactions: JustinCace and Paddy2020
This is BS. Where are the scientific studies? It’s one doctors opinion. I’ve had OAB all my life and I can tell you mine is most definitely NOT caused by going to bathroom more often. Another example of BS on the internet.

Also, you will not suddenly become incontinent by wearing diapers more often.

Reactions: IncontinentnKidneyStones and Deleted member 47221
Spaz said:
This is BS. Where are the scientific studies? It’s one doctors opinion. I’ve had OAB all my life and I can tell you mine is most definitely NOT caused by going to bathroom more often. Another example of BS on the internet.

Also, you will not suddenly become incontinent by wearing diapers more often.
Nobody is saying it is always caused by going more often. There are many causes, some people are so self-important that they think that what’s true for them must be true for everyone.

There was no reference to ”suddenly becoming incontinent”, either. But going to the toilet (or wetting your nappy) more frequently will reduce your bladder capacity, and that’s a “no shit, Sherlock”.

Reactions: Paddy2020
I know if I tried holding my bladder when I have the need to go, it’s a battle I will soon loose , then have wet pants after my undergarment is saturated.
I know I have had overactive bladder all of my life , and it’s especially bad at the cold times of the year . Also , dribbling is getting worse with every year since the cysto and catheter that I had in me at Urologist in 2012.
. Last month now , wearing Depend undergarments with boxers over them is everyday use for work . I used to be able to switch back n forth and on mornings when my bladder seemed not too bad & not so active , I could wear and get away with guards for men , but not as of recent , just the undergarments as I would probably flood the male guard . The dribbling after u think you’re done peeing !! Oh will it ever stop ? When I put it back in my pants , then I can feel it really wet the pad . I think temperature make a difference for sure as I work outside a lot on service calls .
And night time, full on diapers for bed wetting .
I don’t have these troubles figured out obviously. Glad we have this site for sure .

Last edited:
ChocChip said:
But going to the toilet (or wetting your nappy) more frequently will reduce your bladder capacity, and that’s a “no shit, Sherlock”.

This goes around and around on the Incontinence forum.

There is little you can do to change your actual bladder capacity, short of surgery. You can get your body to signal a need to urinate at an earlier point in the bladder filling cycle, and you can develop the habit of relaxing the muscles without a lot of forethought, but these do not change the size of the bladder - it does not "shrink and shrivel," regardless of the colorful language.

Overactive bladder, or OAB, is bladder spasms caused by the detrusor muscle contracting at inappropriate times. It's not the same as getting in the habit of peeing more often. While the causes of OAB are not well understood and can vary widely, it's rather unlikely that the physiological changes associated with OAB would result from getting in the habit of using the toilet more often, and the doctor quoted in the article linked above is being very imprecise with his or her language in appearing to suggest otherwise.

I can understand how someone without OAB could confuse a feeling of needing to pee more often with actual OAB symptoms. As someone who suffers from OAB, I can assure you that the difference is very, very obvious, and often very painful.

If you don't have OAB, be very, very glad. It hurts, and it sucks.

ChocChip said:
There are many causes, some people are so self-important that they think that what’s true for them must be true for everyone.

Sorry, I meant to say me and the estimated 42 million other people in the US who also suffer from OAB. So tell me about the causes again? Because all the dozens of peer-reviewed publications out there say that in the majority of cases, the cause is unknown.

There was no reference to ”suddenly becoming incontinent”, either.

Oh, but it does lead to there. From the article...."As it shrinks it can become more sensitive and overactive, triggering the brain that you need to go with less capacity. This can produce a relatively common phenomenon called “Overactive Bladder Syndrome.” ‘Overactive bladder is a group of symptoms classified by either going to the toilet too frequently and/or a sudden uncontrolled need to pass urine, sometimes resulting in leakage of urine (incontinence).’"

But going to the toilet (or wetting your nappy) more frequently will reduce your bladder capacity, and that’s a “no shit, Sherlock”.

That's not how human bladders work and you cannot get OAB from going to bathroom more frequently as stated in this article. You might reduce your ability to "hold it" for longer periods because you are frequently relaxing your urethra sphincter, which is under voluntary control. This can be easily reversed with Kegel exercises and has little to do with OAB. If you are not incontinent, maybe you should try reading up on it.

Your response to my post is typical of this site and a lot of people on the internet. Instead of discussing the merits of the article in question, you react negatively to my post and call me "self-important." This is one of the main reasons I barely come on this site anymore.

Reactions: ArchtopK
hostile/mocking replies like this are unwelcome
Spaz said:
Sorry, I meant to say me and the estimated 42 million other people in the US who also suffer from OAB. So tell me about the causes again? Because all the dozens of peer-reviewed publications out there say that in the majority of cases, the cause is unknown.

Oh, but it does lead to there. From the article...."As it shrinks it can become more sensitive and overactive, triggering the brain that you need to go with less capacity. This can produce a relatively common phenomenon called “Overactive Bladder Syndrome.” ‘Overactive bladder is a group of symptoms classified by either going to the toilet too frequently and/or a sudden uncontrolled need to pass urine, sometimes resulting in leakage of urine (incontinence).’"

That's not how human bladders work and you cannot get OAB from going to bathroom more frequently as stated in this article. You might reduce your ability to "hold it" for longer periods because you are frequently relaxing your urethra sphincter, which is under voluntary control. This can be easily reversed with Kegel exercises and has little to do with OAB. If you are not incontinent, maybe you should try reading up on it.

Your response to my post is typical of this site and a lot of people on the internet. Instead of discussing the merits of the article in question, you react negatively to my post and call me "self-important." This is one of the main reasons I barely come on this site anymore.
Thanks Professor. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: JustinCace
ChocChip said:
Please do not take discussions in here down by disparaging other posters. You do not list yourself as incontinent, so there are questions that get raised in everyone's minds about what research you have done and peer-reviewed studies you have read on a condition you do not deal with. Discuss the merits or failings of the article, and don't attack others who disagree with you.

ChocChip said:
So here's the thing: this forum is full of people who know far more about being incontinent than you ever will (hopefully - I wouldn't wish incontinence on anybody!). As you probably realize but may not immediately recall, incontinence also has a lot of comorbidities, some of which make it difficult to simply sit back and let incorrect information go when it's a subject that the individual understands well. Finally, the article cited in the first part was neither well-researched nor particularly accurate. Its clear implication was that OAB is caused by peeing too often because there's a toilet handy, which is simply not the case.

Your comments on this thread have been tone-deaf, and your "No shit, Sherlock" was both incorrect and rude, so it should not come as a surprise to you that they've not been particularly well-received here. But rather than trying to learn something about how incontinent people think about their incontinence, you've chosen to attack others. How you think this is in any way supportive of the incontinent community completely eludes me.

At the end of the day, this forum is for incontinent people, not ABDLs, and you injure us when you push away incontinent posters because they make ABDLs like you uncomfortable. If you can't follow the rules here, I would kindly ask you to go spend your time in the many other forums here, rather than trying to tear down the one forum on this site that is not already dedicated to you.

I still maintain that I was attacked first for commenting on a post that I found interesting, and offer no apologies to the poster who made the initial response (to mine and others’ comments on the original article) which I believe was aggressive and uncalled for.

That said, it had kind of slipped my mind that this thread was on a forum dedicated to incontinence, having just spotted it via the “new posts” link. So apologies for any offence caused to others. I’ll try and keep out of this particular sub-forum in future.

Last edited:
ChocChip said:
I still maintain that I was attacked first for commenting on a post that I found interesting, and offer no apologies to the poster who made the initial response (to mine and others’ comments on the original article) which I believe was aggressive and uncalled for.

That said, it had kind of slipped my mind that this thread was on a forum dedicated to incontinence, having just spotted it via the “new posts” link. So apologies for any offence caused to others. I’ll try and keep out of this particular sub-forum in future.
Personally, I do not see attacks here. Spaz originally responded to the original post, if you took it as an attack on you, that is your reading of a post that did not quote or reference your comments at all. Please do not think that because a post comes right after yours that it is a response to you.

Absorblock said:
I know if I tried holding my bladder when I have the need to go, it’s a battle I will soon loose , then have wet pants after my undergarment is saturated.
I know I have had overactive bladder all of my life , and it’s especially bad at the cold times of the year . Also , dribbling is getting worse with every year since the cysto and catheter that I had in me at Urologist in 2012.
. Last month now , wearing Depend undergarments with boxers over them is everyday use for work . I used to be able to switch back n forth and on mornings when my bladder seemed not too bad & not so active , I could wear and get away with guards for men , but not as of recent , just the undergarments as I would probably flood the male guard . The dribbling after u think you’re done peeing !! Oh will it ever stop ? When I put it back in my pants , then I can feel it really wet the pad . I think temperature make a difference for sure as I work outside a lot on service calls .
And night time, full on diapers for bed wetting .
I don’t have these troubles figured out obviously. Glad we have this site for sure .
Sounds like me 10 - 12 years ago. I started dribbling and it got worse. And had the UDN, and then had the cysto, and then had flomax and oxybutynin. Depends didn't work for me, but I use something similar now, much better than Depends and no boxers. Oh yes, will it ever stop, with me no. I go constantly, if I make it to the toilet great, if I don't I'm protected, so is the carpet, bed, and floor. Reading the post above, I just don't think OAB comes on that quickly unless there is something else remarkably wrong.

I believe there is a lot of role playing when it comes to diapers and we can easily be influenced by that. I really don't believe that bladders shrink. The sensors in the bladder wall that trigger the pee reflex require a certain amount of tension in the bladder wall which can only come from the bladder filling to a certain amount. But I also beleive that there remains some mystery in the interaction between the bladder and the brain that will never be fully explained.

Reactions: TheWolfEmperor
ArchtopK said:
I believe there is a lot of role playing when it comes to diapers and we can easily be influenced by that. I really don't believe that bladders shrink. The sensors in the bladder wall that trigger the pee reflex require a certain amount of tension in the bladder wall which can only come from the bladder filling to a certain amount. But I also beleive that there remains some mystery in the interaction between the bladder and the brain that will never be fully explained.
Sounds right to me. I've tried meds and Kegels. Kegels might work for the girls, not for me. I know I get the signal from the bladder and the urge, probably is I can't get to the toilet in time, like every time, so it is pill up panties for me.

ArchtopK said:
I really don't believe that bladders shrink.

There are medical conditions that we know for sure can cause the bladder to shrink and become less stretchy, such as interstitial cystitis or ketamine-associated ulcerative cystitis, both of which damage the bladder and cause a build up of scar tissue. Long term use indwelling catheters can also cause the bladder to gradually shrink. So it's really not that much of a stretch to hypothesize that urinating frequently and never allowing the bladder to become uncomfortably full might also lead to a gradual decrease in the bladder's ability to stretch and expand and perhaps trigger the need to urinate at lower volumes of liquid as it becomes less stretchy or simply less accustomed to expanding.

INTrePid said:
There are medical conditions that we know for sure can cause the bladder to shrink and become less stretchy, such as interstitial cystitis or ketamine-associated ulcerative cystitis, both of which damage the bladder and cause a build up of scar tissue. Long term use indwelling catheters can also cause the bladder to gradually shrink. So it's really not that much of a stretch to hypothesize that urinating frequently and never allowing the bladder to become uncomfortably full might also lead to a gradual decrease in the bladder's ability to stretch and expand and perhaps trigger the need to urinate at lower volumes of liquid as it becomes less stretchy or simply less accustomed to expanding.
Could be. I know my ureters and urethra are scarred from many bouts of kidney stones according to my doctor, so I could believe that could happen to the bladder.

Back