wet diaper smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wearewhoweare

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I have always wondered, can people smell pee on you once you have peed in your diaper? maybe it takes a little bit of time for the aroma to mature, but does anybody know? or is it really only when you poop that people smell something going on under the pants?

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Most disposable diapers have odor absorbent material in the diaper when there made to take care of the pee smell. It's not so
great for covering up the smell of poop.

lacutah

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
this pup loves the smell of a freshly wet diaper mixed with baby powder... but there can be a stench if your urine sits in it for to long (amonia?) and / or is strong. Obviously, messy diapers do smell quite a bit - nullo helps a bit, but it's imperfect - doesn't smell like roses, but not as room-clearing...

C

Cherub

as long as you practice proper hygiene (wash if possible between diaper changes, especially at home) no one should notice anything amiss. Even if you wear a wet diaper for a few hours, no one should notice anything. But if you don't wash frequently enough, and wear and wet your diaper frequently enough, then yea, the urine smell could get to a noticeable level. Usually at that point, the smell has gotten into the pores of your skin and it will take a while for it to wash out. If you reach that point, if you wear regular clothes (with out the odor control of a diaper) it will be noticeable for sure.

Garzilla

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Baby wipes are pretty amazing at helping to deal with the smell. I you change and can't take a shower, using a couple of baby wipes is generally good enough to deal with any odor.

Zpeed

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Depends if you are outside or inside..
With a warm room the odor will be noticeable much faster and also depends how long you have been wearing the diaper after peeing the first time

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Urine comes out sterile but is a REALLY good medium for bacteria to grow in, so it gets ripe pretty quickly. I typically put my wet diapers in a 1 gallon ziploc bag before tossing them in the can to keep the odor at bay, but even with that the can will start to smell when it gets close to a week and time to take out the trash.

I've also found that the more I move around in a wet diaper, the more the odor escapes and is noticeable. Like I can wet my diaper all night long and not notice anything, but when I get up in the morning and sit down at the computer, I'll always catch a whiff of urine.

M

Maxx

There's also the issue of what you've been putting in your mouth. Things like lots of coffee or asparagus are going to result in smell right away.

methedragon2

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
I like the smell of pee, but I have enjoyed the smell for so long that some time I just forget that the smell is there, but I do not think that is the case with most other people.

Beloney

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
:claps: at least I know I'm not the only one that likes the smell.

this pup loves the smell of a freshly wet diaper mixed with baby powder... but there can be a stench if your urine sits in it for to long (amonia?) and / or is strong. Obviously, messy diapers do smell quite a bit - nullo helps a bit, but it's imperfect - doesn't smell like roses, but not as room-clearing...

Garzilla

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If you are worried about the odor of urine when indoors, besides proper disposal of used diapers, one good trick is to use something that emits a good aroma. Personally I use the scented waxes that are available, they provide a really good cover aroma and can be easily passed off.

Calico

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If someone can actually smell the pee once you pee in it, they must have a very good sense of smell. I know dogs can smell it.

However the diaper will start selling eventually after hours of having it on. I figure this has to do with the odor locks in it wearing out and the pee smell gets stronger and stronger when it has been out of you for too long. So staying in the same diaper until it's filled up to it's capacity wouldn't be good because it starts smelling. I would change it at the end of the day because by the next day, it smells terrible. I have worn a same diaper all day and it never smelled. I have even worn the same diaper to the next day and I would change out of it when I get up because it smelled and I am not walking around smelling like pee. To me that is gross. I would also recommend always wear different pants each day (if you are wearing every day) because the smell gets into the clothes and you don't want to wear a pair that smells like pee. But I have found if you use baby powder in the diaper, then the pants will smell like baby powder instead of pee.

Poop, people would definitely smell that. But it doesn't always smell when someone goes but it usually does smell. People may think someone just farted if it happened around a bunch of people.

Garzilla

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If someone can actually smell the pee once you pee in it, they must have a very good sense of smell. I know dogs can smell it.

However the diaper will start selling eventually after hours of having it on. I figure this has to do with the odor locks in it wearing out and the pee smell gets stronger and stronger when it has been out of you for too long. So staying in the same diaper until it's filled up to it's capacity wouldn't be good because it starts smelling. I would change it at the end of the day because by the next day, it smells terrible. I have worn a same diaper all day and it never smelled. I have even worn the same diaper to the next day and I would change out of it when I get up because it smelled and I am not walking around smelling like pee. To me that is gross. I would also recommend always wear different pants each day (if you are wearing every day) because the smell gets into the clothes and you don't want to wear a pair that smells like pee. But I have found if you use baby powder in the diaper, then the pants will smell like baby powder instead of pee.

Poop, people would definitely smell that. But it doesn't always smell when someone goes but it usually does smell. People may think someone just farted if it happened around a bunch of people.
Your post prompted a couple ore things for me. Urine odor is a function of what we eat, and how much we are drinking. It is pretty important to be drinking enough water, and this will help.

I am also sure, as you point out, that any odor neutralizer that might be in the diaper would only have a effectiveness for so long. The manufacturer would naturally expect a diaper to be changed on a regular basis so that would be a basis for how long they would expect such a feature to last.

tall2826

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Little
I only notice a smell after I take mine off but never while I'm wearing unless the I smell the object it directly touched about 2 inches from my nose.

Zpeed

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Stop drinking soda and everything else "sour" Water and apple juice dont make urine smell bad

a good rule to go by is that everything that smells when going in, will smell going out..

BabyToddler

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Diapers like Bambino, Dry24/7, Abena, and Molicare I never notice the pee smell. But I do smell the pee in diapers like Attends, Depends, and Tranquility ATN. I do miss the old Attends with the blue tapes.

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Private
I only notice myself if I get stuck wearing them for much too long, its a bit scary to pull down a used diaper and find it turning gray.. (oops), and then having to apply a liberal dose of a good barrier creme

then again, one of my favorite foods, asparagus, can clear a room, even a restroom, i've walked into public restrooms before and caught that odor.. apparantly not everyone can small it though

UGAFAN1985

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I typically don't smell anything until I take the diaper off to change. After taking it off, I use the gallon Ziploc bag method and put it in a grocery sack to dispose of it. I just make sure to use wipes and baby powder every time I change.

Adventurer

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer, Other
Urine is basically water with dissolved chemicals that have been filtered by the kidneys. The main chemical in urine is urea, which does not smell and is non-volatile. However, urea breaks down into ammonia over time, which does smell and can support bacteria. So urine shouldn't smell at first (unless you've eaten something like asparagus that'll put additional chemicals into your pee), but as it breaks down into ammonia and bacteria start growing, it'll start to stink. This is also why sitting in a wet diaper for a long time causes a rash - the ammonia will remain on your skin and bacteria will grow there, leading to a rash.

Chippi

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I really enjoy the smell of a wet diaper, but I can never really smell it unless I'm in a cheap diaper. And that doesn't happen too much anymore. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.