Status
Not open for further replies.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
How so?

Well people make money buying diapers and shipping them, and delivering them to stores. So we buy them and the companies make more diapers because we keep buying them so they make their money. Same as stores when we go to them and buy them.

Now that the economy is bad, I can imagine people have cut back wearing so they buy them less so the companies make less money because they don't need to make as much diapers but thank god for people who do need them so they are still in business. I can also imagine people have cut back on cloth too because they want to keep their laundry down and that means it keeps down their electric bill and water and they use less laundry detergent.

Thoughts?

B

baby kiffer

We're probably not the most influential part of the market, but I would imagine that our community has a fair impact on the above-mentioned industries.

We all need to put money into the economy to keep it going, as far as I know.

Goose

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I would definitely agree that with the majority of this site being teenagers and young adults, I'd claim that we generally don't have that much disposable income.

I doubt we'll fix the economy by buying diapers, but at least we are spending money.

Typically, though, to fix the economy we need to create more wealth. But until people are willing to begin borrowing money and banks are willing to begin lending money, we're gonna be here for a while.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Every consumer is good for the economy. So yes, that includes us as well.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Everyone needs to spend money, not save it. Well, you can save it, but don't save all of it because of the economy.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Judging by Bambino's recent price drop... I'd say they need more people buying. I know they've got my business again.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
People who work for diaper companies will never lose their jobs because of incontinent people and us. Incontinent people have to wear and catheters suck so they prefer diapers instead rather they like them or not except the DL ones.

A

ani

Light and witty. I frequently carry guilt about consuming anything that is not a necessity - which is almost 2/3's of our consumption! With diapers it's compounded by the environmental impact. I am a DL with no incontinence and rarely use my diapers for their intended purpose. This helps dissipate some of my guilt by justifying the use as part of my contribution to stimulating the economy with the fringe benefit of stimulating myself:) Haha - not really but it sounds good.

Our consumption patterns are changing rapidly. It's not completely evident that the change will be sustainable. Ironic considering the fact that true sustainability is predominantly contingent on appropriate consumption. Something between an economy that is 2/3's based on discretionary spending and one that is wholly based on necessity spending. What that sustainable ratio is - who knows. I would err on the side closer to the economy that is dominated by necessity spending. It's an uncomfortable concept but one that will need resolution. The only question is whether the resolution will be voluntary or involuntary. Will we dictate our future or react to it?

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Chimerica! ya, the flow of goods and finance between china and america - s'posed to be the new thing in stable global economics. buy Yuyun :D
and yep, in our current style of economy, consuming will lift us out of the doldrums but, that won't get around the fundamental problem of withering resources and fuels and the pollution that the new manufacturing nations will chuck into the atmosphere - in that case, a new.... or rather, an old style and attitude of economics, from the ground up, is needed to avoid a wholesale collapse. ironic that the current powerhouse of manufacturing economics (china) has a culture of olde-worlde economic thrift and steady growth, while at the same time encouraging an active participation by it's citizens in the global economy via modern communications.

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
We all need to put money into the economy to keep it going, as far as I know.

Untrue, thus the problem with the fractional reserve system, the economy could keep flowing(Not at full pace, but still alive) without any influence from the citizens, money is created, given to banks, and when they loan money, they just create more money(Basically, makes it so that when a bank requests 50.000 dollars, they keep it, and when they loan that out, they simply "Create" money out of thin air, in otherwords, no real risk of losing money)

For an example of what I mean by this: Credit River Decision: First National Bank of Montgomery vs. Jerome Daly

Money is created for next to nothing, and only has value equal to what we say it has...

floydrox88

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
spending money that we dont have is exactly what got us into this mess. we need to create better paying jobs and stop shipping everything to china to do. (also part of what got us into this mess) more jobs= more real money. borrowing money from the bank does not increase wealth, it increases debt, thanks to bush we now have near $12trillion of, mainly for a dumb stupid war for oil. *cusses out bush*.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
thanks to bush we now have near $12trillion of, mainly for a dumb stupid war for oil. *cusses out bush*.

Do you even know how much Obama has spent within just two months of being in office? Over 2 trillion dollars! It took bush about 4 years to put 1 trillion into the armed services if I recall correctly.

Also whats freaking insane is that Obama and nearly everyone else out in Washington seem to want to save every single damn failing company while all the other companies that aren't going under are going to be paying for it. With this new 2 trillion dollars of spending taxes are going to have to go up and the people/compaines that pay the largest percentage of taxes are going to cut job's to make up for it. Which in turn cuts job's, not saves them.

Christ, I can't even blame Alex for leaving anymore. <_>

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Do you even know how much Obama has spent within just two months of being in office? Over 2 trillion dollars! It took bush about 4 years to put 1 trillion into the armed services if I recall correctly.

Also whats freaking insane is that Obama and nearly everyone else out in Washington seem to want to save every single damn failing company while all the other companies that aren't going under are going to be paying for it. With this new 2 trillion dollars of spending taxes are going to have to go up and the people/compaines that pay the largest percentage of taxes are going to cut job's to make up for it. Which in turn cuts job's, not saves them.

Christ, I can't even blame Alex for leaving anymore. <_>

Well you need to spend money to make money. We need all these companies, so we can help this economy. If we just have the companies that are still thriving, then prices will go out of control, and who knows where we will end up. If you save companies, then they will be able to hire people. Obama has said that taxes are not going to go up. I believe that everyone is supposed to be given a check (if they haven't already) from the government as an incentive to spend money.

Role
  1. Private
spending money that we dont have is exactly what got us into this mess. we need to create better paying jobs and stop shipping everything to china to do. (also part of what got us into this mess) more jobs= more real money. borrowing money from the bank does not increase wealth, it increases debt, thanks to bush we now have near $12trillion of, mainly for a dumb stupid war for oil. *cusses out bush*.

China has next to nothing to do with the situation we are in. In actuality the fact that we source so much work from China is resulting in pressure on them, not us. We are where we are entirely thanks to a market segment being extremely greedy, nationally pushing up prices for homes while also lowing the bar to buy them, and then more companies lying about the stability of those loans and selling them off. It took a good 10 years to get here. It shouldn't be surprising that in a country were incomes have stagnated, and simultaneously housing prices have anywhere from doubled to quadrupled, that we got ourselves into trouble.

The market has been unstable for a while, and people knew it, but they ignored it since as long as no one stopped they could continue to post record earnings. A lot of the people bemoaning the current situation and complaining about irresponsibility now are just backtracking, and were happy to participate when it was earning them massive amounts of money.

There are a ton of other factors as well. Blaming China for any of this is unfair to them. Hell if you want to be angry over foreign labor be pissed of at H1-B work visas, which actually do impact skilled work markets.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
you gotta spend money to fix things.

2 trillion dollars seams like a LOT of money. Also there's no guarantee that it's going to be fixed either. Most of it did not even need fixing at all. Failing companies should be allowed to fail, simple as that.

Also pojo Obama has promised a lot of stuff and he's already broken two promises from what I seen. The most important is signing off on earmark filled bills, the two stimulus packages that cost pretty much 2 trillion dollars combined. He said he wouldn't sign a bill if it had any earmarks in it, while guess what he did exactly that and he knew it too.

So don't be surprised when not only the riches taxes goes up but everyone else's as well. Since two trillion dollars do not grow on trees that money is going to have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is ALWAYS the tax payers since the US is too lame to call in old debits from other country's.

PrinceMatthew

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
the only thing I think and worry about sometimes is the effect of supplying the economy with disposable diapers on the environment. Can you imagine how many trees and resources they have to use for making disposables? I mean they are made of paper & plastic right?:dunno:

not to mention the horrible piles of trash it causes!

Role
  1. Private
2 trillion dollars seams like a LOT of money. Also there's no guarantee that it's going to be fixed either. Most of it did not even need fixing at all. Failing companies should be allowed to fail, simple as that.

It is a complicated issue. First off it is a lot of money, but when looked at from the point of view of our overall economy it is not that much. If you look at other first world nations and see their debt to GDP ratio, and just their GDP compared to ours it is less shocking. We have a huge economy, and if you are trying to get capital flowing you are talking a huge amount of cash.

Most people don't think of us as being manufacturers, but we are. We manufacture a huge amount. It is just the things we manufacture are not electronics or cheap toys, so they are not in your face. Our economy as a whole is massive.

A big part of the problem though is we don't want to be like other first world nations, because if we reached that kind of debt to earnings ratio or potential as an investable economy lessens. Our currency is used globally, and if it lost stability thanks to this current mess it would be another hammer working on the coffin. While it is inevitable that mixed currency reserves will happen the last thing we want is for it to happen now.

We used to be the safe bet, and if this year leaves us being rated down it will result in even darker financial times.

Status
Not open for further replies.