Welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applejack

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Anyone here pretty good at welding. I am just starting off and I am not very good at it. Got any tips / tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
be mindfull of the heat, that can make or break a weld

L

littlelodgewrecker

Anyone here pretty good at welding. I am just starting off and I am not very good at it. Got any tips / tricks?

gas, stick, tig, mig, steel, Alum....????

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Like any other skill practice, practice, practice! And don't always beleave your teachers, those that can, do, those that can't teach. My welding instructor in school taught us lots of horrible techniques that almost cost me my first welding job until an old timer set me straight.

wheelman21

Rep for cuteturtleclothing
Company Rep
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I've been welding for about 12 years now. I started on stick, went to mig and then TIG. What are you trying to learn?

Cranky

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I'm in a class for it,
Welding can be frustrating at times when you dont have the heat right :disgust:

Lestat

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Really not welding. I was a glass blower which was fun.

BoundCoder

nnember
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
  3. Private
Sorry. It's arc welding

Still a fairly broad category, but I'll at least assume mig.

I'm fairly noobish, but I've found getting the settings right is essential. Spend some time doing research. There is a rediculous amount of info on the web, so unless you are doing something really exotic, somewhere out there will be the exact settings you need for whatever project you are working on. From there you can then learn the reasons behind those settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'd also add.. good equiptment!

It doesn't have to be expensive.. just in working order. If your tip or ground are screwed up, you are going to be working way harder than you need to be!

Applejack

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Arc welding with a stick. E6010 DC current. Just practicing my bead and I want to make it look better.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Arc welding with a stick. E6010 DC current. Just practicing my bead and I want to make it look better.

Lincoln 5P is hard make to look good. In pipe welding it is always used for root passes. Then covered with 7018 Low Hydrogen to complete the weld.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
try, MIG Welding - The DIY Guide , for tips on welding and fabrication ;)

don't worry about having to run further passes on a bead, so long as you grind back and de-slag thoroughly before the laying down the next run, especially when welding thin metal. best bet is to get some fairly thick metal to get used to the sounds and sights of lovely weld pools, without blowing through. it's a 'right tool for the right job' kinda thing.

i started welding on cars with stick (mma/arc - i had no choice about it at the time) and then invested in a MIG and even with the MIG, on car bodywork and other thin guage steel, i often lay down more than one run (using different settings - start off with low current, then finish on a higher setting), just to get a nice finish and good penetration (which also reduces the amount of tarting up you may need to do with a grinder).

and, of course, preparation is the key. not just in cleanliness, but also how you shape the edges of the pieces you're going to weld. and then there's the choice of welding sticks (in size and material)........phew!

as for hand movement, i generally use 3 types (side-to-side, circular and 'stitching' or 'dabbing') for both MMA and MIG, depending on the other factors and on just how it looks to be going as i'm doing it. the side-to-side movement has the greatest variance, from a very slight movement so as not to be even noticeable in the finished weld, to a very wide stroke for thicker materials.

btw, post some pics of your work :D

Applejack

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It is at my high school and I only have access to a stick welder. So mig is not an option.

BabySteve

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
In my high school days, I did some arc welding. You have to practice getting the distance right between the stick and your metal to get a good weld and see what you're doing with the safety shield on.

Once you get that down, when arcing two pieces of metal, use an arc, part of a circle. Go back and forth continuously building it up as a nice weld. Also since you're beginning, only weld metal of the same thickness. That will be easier for you. You don't have to worry about burning through the metal.
I hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The best thing you can do is practice by getting a sheet of steel and just running beads along it. Try get you speed and gap correct and then practice joining two bits of metal. Another thing to learn is stopping and starting (for when the rod runs out) but I'm sure your teacher can show you that.

Personaly I wouldn't worry about learning mig. Once you set the machine up it's really just point and shoot, if you know arc you will manage fine with mig.

Applejack

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351541731.274789.jpg. It's not great but I'm still new to this. Just practicing my bead.

mac30

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
welding is a method of fusing two pieces or more together using heat. to melt and fuse together to become one. if you figure this out, you will know how to weld. dont melt the rod, melt the material that you are using either by arc rod or whatever type wether its arc, mig welding, normal and fluxcore, tig or gas. theory books have this but to understand it, it can be hard. just think of it in simpler terms and you will know what im talking bout it if you vision it. hope this helps

Applejack

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Yea. I'm getting much better everytime I use

Status
Not open for further replies.