Weather Pictures

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Ah, welcome to Britain, the home of weather 🥵🥶
I had to look up 'sun pillar', though (hard to say if we get often, but, as you may see, we get so much stuff that most people don't give them thought).
Here follows only what I have immediately to hand:

S0567409 Large e-mail view.jpg
S0149468a Large e-mail view.jpg
S0829349 Large e-mail view.jpg
2015_0716a0743 Large e-mail view.jpgS0747491 Large e-mail view.jpg
2015_0129a0022 Standard e-mail view.jpg
(I suppose that counts???)
2008_0525a0054 Large Web view.jpg
(My phone's wallpaper)
S0927634 Large e-mail view.jpg
2010_21010116a Large Web view.jpg
(Another, potential, wallpaper)
DSC_0861 Large e-mail view.jpg
(Cloudscape; natural light)

MailCat581

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
@ade The third one in the set that I started the thread with is a sun pillar. I had heard of the term before in school but never thought I'd see one. Another one which I don't have a picture of is called a snow roller. It's basically where the wind angles on the ground rolling up snow into either balls or like a rolled up blanket. Pretty cool looking to see.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Jack Frost doing his thing:
DSC00017~2.JPG

Cloud-covered hill:
2017-11-06_18859 Large e-mail view.jpg
For the Texans:
2018-03-02_21688 Large e-mail view.jpg
A while ago, my sister, in Spain, was mithering me for a photo of the Northern Lights; they weren't visible on our side of the hill, but I saw this bit of whatever-it's-called, snapped it on my phone and sent it to her without saying anything. She was happy and stopped mithering (she has a university degree 🤣):
S0178058 Large e-mail view.jpg

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
My cameras are not very good at capturing snow ... it is ether blown out or overly dark
Rainbows are often a problem, too. I took these,
Screenshot_20210219-103236.png Screenshot_20210219-103204.png
on an old phone, some years ago, and desite the poor quality, the capture of the colours was much better than I'd expected.

Yesterday, the weather and light were dismal; very much a medium format day.
And there are blokes who traipse around the hills and camp overnight with medium format cameras, with a monetary cost of tens of thousands of pounds, just for the bodies 😱
Their photos are very atmospheric, though.
A hill farmer up the road just uses his iPhone and has books published 🤔

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
With regards to the snow theme, anybody else seen 'snow trenches'?
I've been trying to find a photo of one which occurred on the footpath of the main road, a few years ago. It wasn't a spectacular one, just strange, as they usually are.
The first time I encountered one was back in the eighties, when we used to get more snow, more often, and it (along with others) was on the road mentioned above, but actually on the tarmac.
It was about four feet deep with straight sided walls, looking like it had been dug by man or machine; you could see the tarmac with it's light dusting of snow.
I had our dog with me (an old style alsatian with a wolfen body who stood as tall as a man on his hind legs) and we both jumped down into the trench.
After some wonderment and giddy glee, a little panic followed as neither of us could climb out, fingers and claws struggling for grip. I had to hump the dog up by his arse and then use him as an anchor for me to climb out.

Featured in my blog, but these were taken on a Fuji:
S0468469 Large e-mail view.jpg
that was the night before the dawn, before the bubbles and tip had formed.

S0538495 Large e-mail view.jpg

At least they look natural, but what about this one:
DSCF3958 Large e-mail view.jpg
DSCF3959 Large e-mail view.jpg

P26-03-13_13-22[3] Standard e-mail view.jpg

2017-07-10_16814 Large e-mail view.jpg

2015-12-25_0483 Large e-mail view.jpg

Last edited:

MailCat581

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
With regards to the snow theme, anybody else seen 'snow trenches'?
I've been trying to find a photo of one which occurred on the footpath of the main road, a few years ago. It wasn't a spectacular one, just strange, as they usually are.
The first time I encountered one was back in the eighties, when we used to get more snow, more often, and it (along with others) was on the road mentioned above, but actually on the tarmac.
It was about four feet deep with straight sided walls, looking like it had been dug by man or machine; you could see the tarmac with it's light dusting of snow.
I had our dog with me (an old style alsatian with a wolfen body who stood as tall as a man on his hind legs) and we both jumped down into the trench.
After some wonderment and giddy glee, a little panic followed as neither of us could climb out, fingers and claws struggling for grip. I had to hump the dog up by his arse and then use him as an anchor for me to climb out.

Featured in my blog, but these were taken on a Fuji:
View attachment 50468
that was the night before the dawn, before the bubbles and tip had formed.

View attachment 50469

At least they look natural, but what about this one:
View attachment 50470
View attachment 50471

View attachment 50472

View attachment 50473

View attachment 50474
Now that's cool!

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Snow trench(?):
2013_0326a0020 Large e-mail view.jpg
Ignore the jumble of snow and ice left by the snowplough (you'd think they'd tidy up after themselves 🤪).
This is on the windward side of the fence and you can sort of see how a swirl has set up a stopped the snow from settling.
Another:
2013_0326a0016 Large e-mail view.jpg

The windchill on that day was ruthless and both my pocket camera and phone died within minutes of pulling out.

Since you got me rummaging, how about a nearly-tornado?
DSCF0736 Large e-mail view.jpg
I'd totally forgotten about that 🥴
My second tornado-y moment.

Kirkbow:
DSCF0432 Large e-mail view~2.jpg

DSCF0275 Large e-mail view.jpg
The trees make the sunset.

Time for some Saharan sun:
DSC_0196 Large e-mail view.jpg
Caused by sand blown up from Africa; the dog was intrigued:
DSC_0206 Large e-mail view.jpg

2013_0312a0125 Large e-mail view.jpg
Icy river-road.

Lastly, a little cloud:
2018_0515a0673 Large e-mail view.jpg
One amongst several in that moment that I watched as they developed and disappeared. There's too many photos to choose from; I just grabbed the one I was on when I realized that were too many.

Last edited:

MailCat581

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Th
Snow trench(?):
View attachment 50666
Ignore the jumble of snow and ice left by the snowplough (you'd think they'd tidy up after themselves 🤪).
This is on the windward side of the fence and you can sort of see how a swirl has set up a stopped the snow from settling.
Another:
View attachment 50667

The windchill on that day was ruthless and both my pocket camera and phone died within minutes of pulling out.

Since you got me rummaging, how about a nearly-tornado?
View attachment 50668
I'd totally forgotten about that 🥴
My second tornado-y moment.

Kirkbow:
View attachment 50669

View attachment 50670
The trees make the sunset.

Time for some Saharan sun:
View attachment 50671
Caused by sand blown up from Africa; the dog was intrigued:
View attachment 50672

View attachment 50673
Icy river-road.

Lastly, a little cloud:
View attachment 50674
One amongst several in that moment that I watched as they developed and disappeared. There's too many photos to choose from; I just grabbed the one I was on when I realized that were too many.
Those are all cool! Have you ever heard of "Cold Air Funnels"? These fool quite a few people that a tornado may be forming.