Wearing nappies only sometimes must be confusing for modern children!

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I recently witnessed the following.

Little girl, probably aged about 3, out with her parents in a shopping centre. Suddenly stops and leans forward, smiling blissfully. A dark patch appears on her jeans and it’s obvious that she’s wetting herself.

Her parents quickly realise and say “no, no no! You’ve not got your nappy on!”. Little girl starts crying and saying “I thought I had my nappy on!”

Is wearing nappies “sometimes” now a thing for some parents? If so, it must be extremely confusing for the poor kids!

• Sad
Reactions: LilxFawn
Potty training is not a binary switch, it often takes some steps forward and back again.
At the age of about 3, she could be in the transition. Maybe they just managed to let her go without at home, and now they are taking the first risks outside but still diaper her for the night. That could explain her confusion without assuming parents act arbitrarily.

Reactions: AJFan2020, JOCKMAN and CookieMonstah
I think having them wearing a nappy/pull-up when in a public place is common, even if they're at the stage of not wearing one at home.

Some parents will put a Diaper on their children when its convenient just in case, such as when it may be inconvenient to take their Children to the bathroom and they are at an age just past Potty Training

Or if the kid Wets the bed and may fall asleep

This isn't a new concept at all, I remember when I was at Sea World close to 20 years ago and a Mom had her Son in Pull-Ups and told him to just use his Pull-Up as she wasnt gonna get down from the stadium and take a long walk to find a Bathroom; it's just more convenient than walking down from a large stadium and walking who knows how far away to find a bathroom and then back up to the top of the stadium

I would think they might get a bit confused especially if they are in Pull-Ups which are thinner and less absorbent and meant to Mimic underwear (while still having some absorbency, but usually less than a full on Diaper)

Last edited:
Reactions: AJFan2020
I often wonder when in busy crowded public places( Stadium,mall, amusement park etc...) how many adults use diapers and plastic pants. I mean adults who arent necessarily incontinent. It would almost seem convenient in some cases ,although you would have then sit in a wet diaper for a time...Im sure many in Time Square on New Years and many wont admit it either who do go..

Reactions: ChocChip
Poor little bab! She must be in that awkward transitioning period where she’s potty training but she isn’t 100% potty trained yet. My cousins children have done that (while sitting on my lap 😒) and it can be frustrating. But they’re just kids and are still learning. It breaks my heart when the parents get angry with them. They’re barely grown, it isn’t their fault. The worst ones are ones that publicly shame their kid for having an accident, that makes my blood boil

Oh man, potty training is a miserable phase for parents. Been there, done that. Twice. Wife and I did our best to press forward once things got started, but there were times when reinforcing potty use just wasn't all that practical, especially with our youngest who has a small bladder. Wife was a marathon runner during our kids' diaper years. Every few months, I'd be taking the kids to a marathon and moving around the course so that they could wave to mommy as she ran past. Youngest was always in some kind of diaper for this, even once potty-trained, as otherwise we'd have been spending all our time waiting outside various porta-potties.

He never had a "Whoops, I thought I was in a diaper!" incident, though. He knew when he was safe.

Last edited:
MikeDJ said:
I often wonder when in busy crowded public places( Stadium,mall, amusement park etc...) how many adults use diapers and plastic pants. I mean adults who arent necessarily incontinent. It would almost seem convenient in some cases ,although you would have then sit in a wet diaper for a time...Im sure many in Time Square on New Years and many wont admit it either who do go..
I read an article a while ago about Japan and how the commuter trains are so full and the toilets so inaccessible that many people wear some kind of nappy for the journey home. These are not people who are registered incontinent!

Teddy02 said:
I read an article a while ago about Japan and how the commuter trains are so full and the toilets so inaccessible that many people wear some kind of nappy for the journey home. These are not people who are registered incontinent!
Is there a registry?

Reactions: ChocChip
It's extremely common to wear a nappy when potty training. There'll be sometimes when wearing one is more convenient. I think the mother should've explained to the child if she was wearing one or not. Did the mother really shout at the child or was it like a "oh no!" sort of expression?

Reactions: AJFan2020 and LilxFawn
CookieMonstah said:
It's extremely common to wear a nappy when potty training. There'll be sometimes when wearing one is more convenient. I think the mother should've explained to the child if she was wearing one or not. Did the mother really shout at the child or was it like a "oh no!" sort of expression?
It wasn’t a telling off, it was more of an “oh no!” sort of thing.

I think the poor kid thought she had a nappy on as she was smiling when she started weeing.

BabyTyrant said:
This isn't a new concept at all, I remember when I was at Sea World close to 20 years ago and a Mom had her Son in Pull-Ups and told him to just use his Pull-Up as she wasnt gonna get down from the stadium and take a long walk to find a Bathroom; it's just more convenient than walking down from a large stadium and walking who knows how far away to find a bathroom and then back up to the top of the stadium

This past Black Friday I was working the evening shift at Wal-Mart and I happened to catch a glimpse of a family with three girls. The oldest one couldn't have been older than six or seven but I happened to notice the telltale plastic tapes sticking out from beneath the waistband of her pants when she reached for something her parents were holding.

PCS said:

I think the poor kid thought she had a nappy on as she was smiling when she started weeing.
That's okay, if the parent had gotten mad then I'd be pretty annoyed because potty training is hard for children, some parents think suddenly they'll stop pooing and weeing themselves after 2/3 years of their life which isn't the case.

PCS said:

Yeah, it makes me smile too.

CookieMonstah said:
It's extremely common to wear a nappy when potty training.
For the mother, that is, as the child always gets priority in terms of using the toilet ;)

Back