Wearing diapers for a year made me incontinent and weakened my bladder

Pastelpink

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I'm a girl and I'm only 19 years old, but my body has already stopped working as it should. Diapers are fun and cool, I've always liked them, but the inability to control yourself feels uncomfortable.
For the past year I have lived almost all the time by myself and spent all the time inside, so I started wearing them because I was into abdl for a long time. I didn’t go out often and when i did i mostly went to the grocery store. That's why I had them on while going there too. When necessary, I wore underwear instead of them, but such cases were rare.
I also went to the toilet sometimes, but it was rare too.
Recently, I once again tried to wear panties after a long break, but noticed that they were wet. I peed myself a little. The amount was much smaller than before when i used to use the toilet. And I didn't even feel it. This was my first real accident.
After observing myself for a few days, I realized that I began to pee much more often than i used to, but in much smaller amounts.
I haven't completely lost control of my bladder, but there were times when i wet myself and didn't feel it. When I did, I couldn't hold it for a long time. The stomach began to hurt after 5 minutes of holding.
When I wore diapers I didn't notice it, so I don't know how long ago it started.
My finances don't allow me to buy diapers that often anymore and I don't want to wear them every second of my life. There are times when it just doesn't work.
What would you advise me to do? Do I need to see a doctor and should I tell him the truth? Maybe i should try to potty train myself or just cope with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, freedom69, shargalex and 3 others
Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this the “final stage” of diaper training. You still have control, but it’s hard to use without consciously thinking about it.

The only advice that I can really give is you can try to toilet train yourself again, but be prepared to explain what happened to your doctor.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Joules
Try getting some incontinence pads and activle hold and use the toilet often. the pads will offer protection in case of accidents without wrapping you in a diaper that will promote you to just keep wetting. Potty traing should take a few eeks until you are functional again from what i have read

Reactions: Diprs2, kayakbaby and Babynie
Pastelpink said:
I'm a girl and I'm only 19 years old, but my body has already stopped working as it should. Diapers are fun and cool, I've always liked them, but the inability to control yourself feels uncomfortable.
For the past year I have lived almost all the time by myself and spent all the time inside, so I started wearing them because I was into abdl for a long time. I didn’t go out often and when i did i mostly went to the grocery store. That's why I had them on while going there too. When necessary, I wore underwear instead of them, but such cases were rare.
Recently, I once again tried to wear panties after a long break, but noticed that they were wet. I peed myself a little. The amount was much smaller than before when i used to use the toilet. And I didn't even feel it. This was my first real accident.
After observing myself for a few days, I realized that I began to pee much more often than i used to, but in much smaller amounts.
I haven't completely lost control of my bladder, but there were times when i wet myself and didn't feel it. When I did, I couldn't hold it for a long time. The stomach began to hurt after 5 minutes of holding.
When I wore diapers I didn't notice it, so I don't know how long ago it started.
My finances don't allow me to buy diapers that often anymore and I don't want to wear them every second of my life. There are times when it just doesn't work.
What would you advise me to do? Do I need to see a doctor and should I tell him the truth? Maybe i should try to potty train myself or just cope with it?
Ya you need to tell you doctor for shur, but as for your finances goes there shouldn't be any secrests and if he can't handle it then he's not worth it... move on.

Reactions: Diprs2
HappyCamper said:
Ya you need to tell you doctor for shur, but as for your finances goes there shouldn't be any secrests and if he can't handle it then he's not worth it... move on.
i mean a doctor is just going to order test that may cost her a lot more money..first i think she should try retraining and if that fails see a doctor a few weeks should make a difference

Reactions: Diprs2 and Moicano
Jackieinwbpa said:
i mean a doctor is just going to order test that may cost her a lot more money..first i think she should try retraining and if that fails see a doctor a few weeks should make a difference
She need's to keep her doctor in the loop!!!

HappyCamper said:
She need's to keep her doctor in the loop!!!
"hey doc i stopped using the toilet and used diapers for a year now i'm wetting unconsciously" it's a conditiong issue not a medical one...he'll prolly refer her to a psychologist

Jackieinwbpa said:
"hey doc i stopped using the toilet and used diapers for a year now i'm wetting unconsciously" it's a conditiong issue not a medical one...he'll prolly refer her to a psychologist
Ya probably

If wearing diapers for the past year caused you to lose some control, then a lot of people on ADISC would have the same issue, but they don't.
See a doctor.
I don't understand the concept of "retraining" without the help of a physical therapist, which requires a doctor being in the loop.
See a doctor.
Practicing Kegel exercises won't hurt you, but they might help you.
But see a doctor.

Reactions: Diprs2, AJFan2020, DandyAndy and 4 others
Jackieinwbpa said:
Try getting some incontinence pads and activle hold and use the toilet often. the pads will offer protection in case of accidents without wrapping you in a diaper that will promote you to just keep wetting. Potty traing should take a few eeks until you are functional again from what i have read
If health is otherwise OK, I think this is a good advice for a start, especially if finances are low. And Kegal exercises.
Try and hold for longer periods to train your bladder as well, in small steps.
But if no bettering in a few weeks, go see a doctor.

Reactions: Diprs2 and mardon1975
Pastelpink said:
I haven't completely lost control of my bladder, but there were times when i wet myself and didn't feel it.
Go see a doctor. That is not normal for an otherwise healthy adult, especially at your age.

You should be able to hold it until you damage your kidneys if you wanted to for some reason, and not feeling it is beyond mental conditioning.

Reactions: Diprs2 and AJFan2020
CheshireCat said:
If wearing diapers for the past year caused you to lose some control, then a lot of people on ADISC would have the same issue, but they don't.
See a doctor.
I don't understand the concept of "retraining" without the help of a physical therapist, which requires a doctor being in the loop.
See a doctor.
Practicing Kegel exercises won't hurt you, but they might help you.
But see a doctor.
I would like to append to this that according to all urologists i had, it is technically not possible to become incontinent from just letting go and wearing diapers or using catheters.
Opinions vary here i know, but the bladder muscle & sphincters don't weaken as much in such a short time, if at all. They both told me it's just not possible. Except from developing a mild urge incontinence, but this can indeed be reversed by kegel excerises.

The only scientifically possible answer is that there's an underlying condition that a doctor should diagnose and investigate + if possible treat
Especially at this young age.

Reactions: Diprs2, Eclectic, CheshireCat and 2 others
winterheart01 said:
I would like to append to this that according to all urologists i had, it is technically not possible to become incontinent from just letting go and wearing diapers or using catheters.
Opinions vary here i know, but the bladder muscle & sphincters don't weaken as much in such a short time, if at all. They both told me it's just not possible. Except from developing a mild urge incontinence, but this can indeed be reversed by kegel excerises.

The only scientifically possible answer is that there's an underlying condition that a doctor should diagnose and investigate + if possible treat
Especially at this young age.
Mental condition g is very much a thing. After a year you can establish a very strong haibt..word seeems wrong. It's called Diaper training for a reason

I don’t think it has to be an either/ or situation. You can go to the doctor to check that there isn’t a different underlying cause such as a UTI whilst also practicing re-training and pelvic floor/ keel exercises to strengthen your muscles.

If you go on YouTube there are lots of videos uploaded by physiotherapists showing you how to practice pelvic floor exercises, eg:
You should do these several times a day if you can. Really make an effort to do these because if you are having leakage because your muscles aren’t working hard enough these will strengthen them.

For the ‘re-training’ you need to work on building up your bladders capacity and helping it realise that it doesn’t need to let go before it reaches capacity. Make sure you drink plenty of water across the day and avoid caffeine, acidic fruit juices and alcohol as these can irritate the bladder. It’s then about trying to hold past the point that you first get the urge to pee, so after you feel the need to pee instead of going to the toilet immediately wait five minutes. Once you can comfortably do that, increase it to 10 minutes. Then increase to 15 minutes etc. Generally most people should be able to go 3-4 hours between bathroom breaks so that’s what you’re aiming for.

There is lots of advice online for support with managing light incontinence and with increasing bladder volume etc if you Google and this really isn’t uncommon in women. It’s hard to say whether it’s been caused by the diapers or whether this is something you were already predisposed to but my advice would be to abstain from the diapers as much as you can so that if habit has played a part in this you are not undoing the work you are doing with pelvic floor exercises and re-training. You can wear pantie liners or buy pads specifically for light incontinence if you need something to protect your underwear whilst not making you think it’s okay to just pee in a diaper.

Jackieinwbpa said:
Mental condition g is very much a thing. After a year you can establish a very strong haibt..word seeems wrong. It's called Diaper training for a reason
That's for those who already have a weaker bladder or sphincter.
Been there, done that, for 15 years.
Until my nerves got more screwed up and I ended up with detrusor sphincter dysinergia.
When the body won't cooperate, the mind can change little about that.
After all this and the final confirmation from those two urologists I knew untraining was never going to help me.
Surgery did, and it also got rid of the e-colli bacteria that got resistance to antibiotics.
I no longer have a blockade so the bacteria get flushed out right away.
I can still control the bladder to push things out but not hold it. The pelvis on the other hand is too strong and therefore I require 15mg diazepam before bedtime to prevent the bladder from filling too much and the pelvis from clenching

winterheart01 said:
That's for those who already have a weaker bladder or sphincter.
Been there, done that, for 15 years.
Until my nerves got more screwed up and I ended up with detrusor sphincter dysinergia.
When the body won't cooperate, the mind can change little about that.
After all this and the final confirmation from those two urologists I knew untraining was never going to help me.
Surgery did, and it also got rid of the e-colli bacteria that got resistance to antibiotics.
I no longer have a blockade so the bacteria get flushed out right away.
I can still control the bladder to push things out but not hold it. The pelvis on the other hand is too strong and therefore I require 15mg diazepam before bedtime to prevent the bladder from filling too much and the pelvis from clenching
I am a little confused on how this relates to my post. I am saying that mental conditioning can accomplish 'functional incontinence" where by ignoring the usual reaction to the signal that you have to pee {hold until toilet} and just allowing urination immediately over time it becomes the normal reaction. That signal also become less important and may be ignored completely. It does not prevent you from holding if you intentionally do it so you are not physically incontinent but since you have retrained so that the default is free urination you are functionally incontinent because the result either way is wet pants or diaper with no input from you. No where am I talking about damage. i was refuting the point another made that the only possible reason for her to be wetting herself unintentionally is physical damage.

Pastelpink said:
You just need to retrain your bladder. it has most likely shrunk do to peeing at "will" and not holding it. Give it a little time you might should maybe practice some Kegel exercises too. Then the other thing you might try is set a timer on your phone that you know you will make like every 3 hours or even 2 hours if you must. Then go to the restroom on the timer. Then every week increase the time between voids by ten to 30 minutes. You should be able to get back to a normal bladder capacity before long. That and Kegel exercises strengthen the pelvic muscles. Look up how to do them if you are not aware as there are tons of videos and reads online about it. ( Also they can be fun to do during sex. Just saying) Empty good before having sex too. Sleep on a good reusable bed pad if you leak at night. If things do not improve with in a few moths talk to the doctor then and tell him you been doing kegal and timed bathroom breaks. If things are a bit better in a few months just keep it up until things resolve. It took a year for you to loose some control so it could take 3 to 6 months to regain to the point you feel secure. Where a pad or light pull up like always underwear. But do not try to use them ever. Make throwing away a dry one a goal. You are so young that you should have no issues getting it back pretty fast I would think.

On a separate note are you giving up your diapers for yourself or him? Neither is a wrong answer nor am I judging you. I got married at that age, 19 to be be exact and am 46 now and still very happy. I was in diapers then and still am now. But not by choice. But I know things that makes us what we are is a hard thing to give up or change the way we feel if not for ourselves. I would just make sure if you want to do that.

. Is he willing to revisit the subject in the future. What happens if you become incontinent and need to wear them. I have no Idea the man he is so I not being negative at him in any way......

I stopped my wife smoking when we got married. She still sneaks one when she can. I do not like it at all and have real PTSD from living with abusive smokers. But yet here we are still happy at age 46. But I did not suspect she would get rectal cancer at age 23 and have a ostomy for the rest of her life either. She always supported me and my incontinence and the need for diapers then and then she ends up in worse shape. I have always tried to be their for her too. Now later in life we are both lying in bed fixing to start a movie and She is in a pull up too because all the surgeries left her with poor bladder control as well. I know one thing She is my rock and always has been. I anchor my life to that rock.

Be sure you are happy and know things never go as planned. I wish both of you the most happiest life together. Just make sure he is the type to give up something for you. If he is why you stopped I mean? Either way I hope you are no stranger to the group. I wish you the very best!!!

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and WendyLittle
Jackieinwbpa said:
I am a little confused on how this relates to my post. I am saying that mental conditioning can accomplish 'functional incontinence" where by ignoring the usual reaction to the signal that you have to pee {hold until toilet} and just allowing urination immediately over time it becomes the normal reaction. That signal also become less important and may be ignored completely. It does not prevent you from holding if you intentionally do it so you are not physically incontinent but since you have retrained so that the default is free urination you are functionally incontinent because the result either way is wet pants or diaper with no input from you. No where am I talking about damage. i was refuting the point another made that the only possible reason for her to be wetting herself unintentionally is physical damage.
What I meant with that is: This mental conditioning only properly works if you already have an underlying condition that helps in the process.
In my case it was the opposite, I could not achieve such mental conditioning because I had many retention issues and a too strong/tense pelvis
I noticed this that a lot of the people who succeed in such conditional training either experienced bedwetting at late age or had a somewhat weaker bladder or more prone to having an accident in the first place, and I do not mean "everyone", just a lot of the people I read from here and other places.
Otherwise, if you have a perfectly healthy body, this conditioning will only partially work and you'll still be focusing too much on the "I need to relax" part instead of just relaxing and ignoring the signal.

winterheart01 said:
What I meant with that is: This mental conditioning only properly works if you already have an underlying condition that helps in the process.
In my case it was the opposite, I could not achieve such mental conditioning because I had many retention issues and a too strong/tense pelvis
I noticed this that a lot of the people who succeed in such conditional training either experienced bedwetting at late age or had a somewhat weaker bladder or more prone to having an accident in the first place, and I do not mean "everyone", just a lot of the people I read from here and other places.
Otherwise, if you have a perfectly healthy body, this conditioning will only partially work and you'll still be focusing too much on the "I need to relax" part instead of just relaxing and ignoring the signal.
i can say from personal experience that this is untrue.

Reactions: Liddlefoot
Back