Warm water , running water making us go

Dandelion

PMD Dribbler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I Mentioned in a post recently that if I have my hands in warm water, usually washing pots
I get a sudden urge to need the bathroom. Does this happen to others?
I heard a story many years ago from A friend at a party and this man was asleep . They put his hand in
a bowl of water and he wet himself.
Obviously this is some kind of conditioned response such as with running water but why is warmth and
water running a trigger?

Reactions: Mathew and Angelapinks
For men of middle age running water is definitely a trigger for urination be it in the shower, even walking next to a river. Running water out of the tap would do the trick too. Old men and smaller bladders.
.my excuse for wearing nappies when I can get away with it.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Dandelion
I start peeing my nappy when emptying the tumble dryer water out or filling my water canisters at work

Tenawearer said:
For men of middle age running water is definitely a trigger for urination be it in the shower, even walking next to a river. Running water out of the tap would do the trick too. Old men and smaller bladders.
Let’s add in the electric tooth brush for me

• Wow
Reactions: TabaCrate and Angelapinks
parcelboy2 said:
I start peeing my nappy when emptying the tumble dryer water out or filling my water canisters at work
My electric toothbrush also sets me going

• Wow
Reactions: TabaCrate and Angelapinks
Dandelion said:
I heard a story many years ago from A friend at a party and this man was asleep . They put his hand in
a bowl of water and he wet himself.
Back in my university days, this was a typical college prank to pull on an unsuspecting drunk and passed-out "friend".
Dandelion said:
Obviously this is some kind of conditioned response such as with running water but why is warmth and
water running a trigger?
Doesn't have to be warm tap water for me...I could have just peed moments before and then turn on the sink water and I get the urge to pee again.

Reactions: Dandelion
When I brush my teeth morning or night I always have the urge to go.

Reactions: Dandelion, Angelapinks and TabaCrate
Dandelion said:
My electric toothbrush also sets me going
Not had that happen yet but running water or hands in warm water does it. These days I am afraid to visit Niagara Falls because I am sure that would have the same reaction LOL.

Warm or running water does it for me too.

Reactions: Dandelion and Angelapinks
I get stuck in an endless cycle... wash my hands to prepare dinner, the pee-pee dance starts, off to the bathroom. Back to the kitchen and wash my hands after using the bathroom... once again the pee-pee dance... dinner is late so many times...

Reactions: CLPP and Dandelion
I'm 99% continent during the day. But really cold exposure, running water, electrical appliances, like a dishwasher, microwave, even just a loud fan can cause me urgency.

Running water warm water hell it don't take much to burst my dam unfortunately heck I'm lucky if I get more than a mild urge before it's too late anymore but good hell my bladder will hurt like hell for no reason...

As a chemist any time I pore liquids I have to peepee

• Sad
Tenawearer said:
Amen to the comment “Old men and smaller bladders”. That’s why I were a diaper 24/7. And running water is definitely a trigger.

I think it's quite common for many people - for me as long as I can remember running water in any kind, the sound when the espresso runs out of my machine, hand (or even worse feet) in cold or warm water, and many other things caused a kind of urge for me. It was never a problem at all in those years, if that urge came simply to hold in for a few seconds and the urge went away. But since a year, besides of age (now 60+) and accelerated by side effects of some pills I have to take permanent after a stroke, the urge dit not get away after a few seconds any more but increased and first ended in some dribbling, and more and more from a small void too bigger ones and in the end into a full urge incontinence, where the urge also hits since many months even without any of those triggers. Additionally a dribbling incontinence, meaning that - not every hour and every day, but often - I'm dribbling permanent small amounts witch I can't feel and control. So, of course after doctor's visit and further examinations, I learned to get used wearing protection as a good solution to continue to live my active life as I was used to do before!

Doing the washing up after a meal will mean my Nappy gets a good wash too !
Even if I use the toilet before doing the washing up, within minutes my Nappy is being rinsed through !
I just have to go with the flow just as all ic folks here do.

@Napincolove Running water triggers urgency for me. Washing my hands will trigger severe urgency, even when my bladder is empty after a scheduled void. So washing dishes, especially when washing up after a large gathering is a pee fest.

What I find interesting is that I bought some vinyl washing up gloves for the first time, because my skin is not happy with the dry winter air here. Wearing the gloves removes the severe urgency. I just sense the urgency from water running, not from having my hands wet. It's made doing dishes a lot more comfortable not doing the pee pee dance at the same time.

I can just hear water running and wet my pants.

From reading all your replies folks, it seems I’m far from alone in this. So much of your descriptions follow closely with what happens to myself.
I realise now also that because I normally go straight to the bathroom by habit when I get the urge, from the warm or running water having decided to try and see what happens if I try and hold it for a bit longer , I get the funny spasm sensation down there and a session of minor squirts . Then I’ll get to the bathroom and nearly void in the nappy before I’ve got my trousers down. Stopping my pee flow today with my muscle power experimentally resulted in difficulty getting it to start again and when it did it was a slow unsteady stream. Then on stopping and fastening up trousers a gush into my nappy. That gush btw. happens nearly every time I go to use the bathroom now .
I managed to get some better quality terry junior nappies from Amazon than the ones I was using previously which are also slightly larger at 70x70cm to use as folded inserts in my Cuddlz terry briefs . They are much more absorbent if feeling slightly bulkier at least I’m feeling much drier and the plastic pants aren’t getting so wet on the inside. Old school I realise but I don’t feel confident to use only a Tena type pad +brief setup. I was reminded of that when I had to make an emergency call at Wetherspoons toilet in town and peed on the floor and my trousers before I could aim properly. That’s without even drinking there. The council has closed all the public toilets in our town. In future I may double insert and just use the nappy instead while in town. Councils closing public toilets that we pay them council tax money for. Maybe a topic to bring up by itself. 🥺

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks
Dandelion said:
From reading all your replies folks, it seems I’m far from alone in this. So much of your descriptions follow closely with what happens to myself.
I realise now also that because I normally go straight to the bathroom by habit when I get the urge, from the warm or running water having decided to try and see what happens if I try and hold it for a bit longer , I get the funny spasm sensation down there and a session of minor squirts . Then I’ll get to the bathroom and nearly void in the nappy before I’ve got my trousers down. Stopping my pee flow today with my muscle power experimentally resulted in difficulty getting it to start again and when it did it was a slow unsteady stream. Then on stopping and fastening up trousers a gush into my nappy. That gush btw. happens nearly every time I go to use the bathroom now .
I managed to get some better quality terry junior nappies from Amazon than the ones I was using previously which are also slightly larger at 70x70cm to use as folded inserts in my Cuddlz terry briefs . They are much more absorbent if feeling slightly bulkier at least I’m feeling much drier and the plastic pants aren’t getting so wet on the inside. Old school I realise but I don’t feel confident to use only a Tena type pad +brief setup. I was reminded of that when I had to make an emergency call at Wetherspoons toilet in town and peed on the floor and my trousers before I could aim properly. That’s without even drinking there. The council has closed all the public toilets in our town. In future I may double insert and just use the nappy instead while in town. Councils closing public toilets that we pay them council tax money for. Maybe a topic to bring up by itself. 🥺
During Covid all bathrooms were closed because all coffee shops and cafe's were shut and when we had to drive to family out of town I wore an overnight Tranquility pull up under my rubber pants. I more often need to pee before the trip is half over even if I void before leaving. The only bathroom available half way was in a grocery store where there was always a line up to get in due to restrictions and then a line up for the bathroom. If I skipped my bathroom visit I would run for it once I got to my destination. This has resulted in a painful bladder when trying to hold on now any time I go out. At least there are open coffee shops to stop at on the way now. I have not used cloth nappies / diapers for a long while now as doing the laundering and even holding onto dirty nappies in a bin is not really possible or convenient at the moment. And throw away products are getting expensive and not good for the environment either.

Back