VM's solve my problems xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
Thanks to VM's I can practically use linux as my main os.

I've got XP for OFFICE 2010, VS 2010 etc.

and Windows 10 for Office 2016 and VS 2016, though I prefer not to use windows 10 for the VM as it's a resource hog.

XP seems to be fine for my my usage.

why have you got a VM for xp for office 2010 and a separate VM for office 2016. That seems a little weird as most of the file formats are cross-compatable between 2010 and 2016 (at least as far as im aware). I would rather put on a single OS that would be capable of the two rather than two separate OS's (but then again, im worried about HDD space on my laptop as i have a SSD (macbook pro retina 2012, so i cant upgrade it). Why not just put on windows 8.1 if you need both versions of office - its actually not too much of a resource hog in VM (i used to use it for a while before i decided to just use windows 10). I know it can be difficult to manage the start menu, but depending on what you are using to VM the machines, they often come with a "unity" function nowadays so you dont actually need to look at the OS and it tends to blend with your main OS.

I haven't created any VM on W10 but this latest version does not consume too much resouces IMO, XP is no longer supported nor updated, exposing your computer to vulnerabilities.

YoungPixel said:
XP is no longer supported nor updated, exposing your computer to vulnerabilities.

In a VM environment that isnt too much of a big deal. This is mainly because even if they gain access to the VM ware, your actual data is stored separately. So in effect, having a VM system isnt a big deal. If something malicious gets onto the VM os, just delete it and reinstall ... problem solved. That is one of the benefits of a VM environment, compared with your main OS.

Zeek61 said:
In a VM environment that isnt too much of a big deal. This is mainly because even if they gain access to the VM ware, your actual data is stored separately. So in effect, having a VM system isnt a big deal. If something malicious gets onto the VM os, just delete it and reinstall ... problem solved. That is one of the benefits of a VM environment, compared with your main OS.

I usually disable the internet connection on winxp

Shybug said:
I usually disable the internet connection on winxp

Same here. Dunno if it helps, but I use a couple of batch scripts to enable/disable internet access, whilst leaving LAN access unaffected:

Disconnect:
Code:
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

Connect:
Code:
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

NB. You'll need to change "192.168.1.254" in the latter command if that isn't your router's IP address.

I have the disconnection script in the startup folder, so XP starts up with Internet access disabled.

tiny said:
Same here. Dunno if it helps, but I use a couple of batch scripts to enable/disable internet access, whilst leaving LAN access unaffected:

Disconnect:
Code:
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

Connect:
Code:
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

NB. You'll need to change "192.168.1.254" in the latter command if that isn't your router's IP address.

I have the disconnection script in the startup folder, so XP starts up with Internet access disabled.

I just disable NAT access in VMWARE ;) mine is your classical 192.168.0.1? but i use a vpn, and do some trickery behind the scenes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back