VM's solve my problems xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
Role
  1. Private
Thanks to VM's I can practically use linux as my main os.

I've got XP for OFFICE 2010, VS 2010 etc.

and Windows 10 for Office 2016 and VS 2016, though I prefer not to use windows 10 for the VM as it's a resource hog.

XP seems to be fine for my my usage.

Zeek61

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
why have you got a VM for xp for office 2010 and a separate VM for office 2016. That seems a little weird as most of the file formats are cross-compatable between 2010 and 2016 (at least as far as im aware). I would rather put on a single OS that would be capable of the two rather than two separate OS's (but then again, im worried about HDD space on my laptop as i have a SSD (macbook pro retina 2012, so i cant upgrade it). Why not just put on windows 8.1 if you need both versions of office - its actually not too much of a resource hog in VM (i used to use it for a while before i decided to just use windows 10). I know it can be difficult to manage the start menu, but depending on what you are using to VM the machines, they often come with a "unity" function nowadays so you dont actually need to look at the OS and it tends to blend with your main OS.

YoungPixel

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I haven't created any VM on W10 but this latest version does not consume too much resouces IMO, XP is no longer supported nor updated, exposing your computer to vulnerabilities.

Zeek61

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
XP is no longer supported nor updated, exposing your computer to vulnerabilities.

In a VM environment that isnt too much of a big deal. This is mainly because even if they gain access to the VM ware, your actual data is stored separately. So in effect, having a VM system isnt a big deal. If something malicious gets onto the VM os, just delete it and reinstall ... problem solved. That is one of the benefits of a VM environment, compared with your main OS.

LittleJess

Banned
Role
  1. Private
In a VM environment that isnt too much of a big deal. This is mainly because even if they gain access to the VM ware, your actual data is stored separately. So in effect, having a VM system isnt a big deal. If something malicious gets onto the VM os, just delete it and reinstall ... problem solved. That is one of the benefits of a VM environment, compared with your main OS.

I usually disable the internet connection on winxp

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I usually disable the internet connection on winxp

Same here. Dunno if it helps, but I use a couple of batch scripts to enable/disable internet access, whilst leaving LAN access unaffected:

Disconnect:
Code:
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

Connect:
Code:
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

NB. You'll need to change "192.168.1.254" in the latter command if that isn't your router's IP address.

I have the disconnection script in the startup folder, so XP starts up with Internet access disabled.

LittleJess

Banned
Role
  1. Private
Same here. Dunno if it helps, but I use a couple of batch scripts to enable/disable internet access, whilst leaving LAN access unaffected:

Disconnect:
Code:
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

Connect:
Code:
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

NB. You'll need to change "192.168.1.254" in the latter command if that isn't your router's IP address.

I have the disconnection script in the startup folder, so XP starts up with Internet access disabled.

I just disable NAT access in VMWARE ;) mine is your classical 192.168.0.1? but i use a vpn, and do some trickery behind the scenes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.