VIP Requirement Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I am having trouble with the VIP Requirement equation and was wondering if someone could help me.

I have Green-30 Red-5 Gray-3

If someone could help me figure out my rep ratio and please tell me how many more green rep I need to be a VIP that would be very much appreciated.

If anyone is having the same problem as me please post how many green, red and gray rep you have and someone should be able to help.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Your total negative rep: 5
Your total positive rep: 30
Your rep sum: 25
Your rep count: 35
Your ratio: 71%
Ratio required for VIP: 80%

+Rep points to get VIP: 15 (assuming you get only +1s, this would take you to a sum of 40 with a count of 50, and 40/50 = 0.8)

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Your total negative rep: 5
Your total positive rep: 30
Your rep sum: 25
Your rep count: 35
Your ratio: 71%
Ratio required for VIP: 80%

+Rep points to get VIP: 15 (assuming you get only +1s, this would take you to a sum of 40 with a count of 50, and 40/50 = 0.8)
Thanks Moo. :)

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
But Moo, that's also assuming no +rep greater than 1. If we assume he's going to get a +2 now and then, he's going to need less than 15 rep, if he was to get only +2 reps from here he'd only need a total of 3 +2 reps to get to that golden ratio.

Role
Private
But Moo, that's also assuming no +rep greater than 1. If we assume he's going to get a +2 now and then, he's going to need less than 15 rep, if he was to get only +2 reps from here he'd only need a total of 3 +2 reps to get to that golden ratio.
Perhaps he'll make some absolutely brilliant posts that are actually worthy of more than +1 rep, getting him to VIP commendably quicker. ;)

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
True.
Three +2 reps would put him at 31/38, or 0.815.
Two +3 reps would put him at 31/37, or 0.837.
One +4 rep would put him at 29/36, or 0.805.
One +5 rep would put him at 30/36, or 0.833.

VIPs can give up to +2.
Junior staff can give up to +3.
Senior staff can give up to +4.
Admins can give up to +5.

That said: note that even though certain people can give out +2 and above, that doesn't mean we will.
It isn't the case that every rep given out by these people is automatically +2 or higher... it just means that if we see something truly great, we can give +2 or more for it.
Since +2s and higher are powerful, the people that can give them should be cautious in their use.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Moo, is there a way of determining how many +2s you have in the User CP section? I know I have at least one as the person that gave it to me wrote "well worth my +2", but it only shows as 1 rep in the list.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
So neutral rep is actuality negative rep?

I got 28 total rep (counting all 3 colors) 21 positive, 3 negative and 4 neutral. At first I thought that neutral didn't matter and if that was the case I would be at like around .875 myself. With it I am at like .645 or so.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent

I got 28 total rep (counting all 3 colors) 21 positive, 3 negative and 4 neutral. At first I thought that neutral didn't matter and if that was the case I would be at like around .875 myself. With it I am at like .645 or so.
Good point, and I think it should be considered that neutral rep isn't always the choice of the poster. For example, I got a very positive comment from someone who was moderated, but apparently they aren't allowed to give + or - rep, so it shows up as neutral.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
If you all want a simple formula on how to work out "how much positive I need"

this is assuming all negatives and positives are one, to keep things simple

Pos Rep needed = 9xNeg - Pos

as moo said, assuming you get nothing but positives and are all valued as 1. If more, you'll get there with less positives in theory.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Moo, is there a way of determining how many +2s you have in the User CP section? I know I have at least one as the person that gave it to me wrote "well worth my +2", but it only shows as 1 rep in the list.
It should display as +X or -X if the score isn't a simple +1/-1.
This was bugged before, but should work now.

21/24 is indeed 0.875.

But... that isn't how rep is calculated.

You have 22 +rep, rather than the 21 you mention.

More importantly, the 'X' in the "X / Y" is not your positive rep.

It is your positive rep minus your negative rep.

In this case, X is 22 - 3, which works out to be 19.

19/24 = 0.791. So, just under the 0.8 requirement.

A single +rep, even a +1, will get you to 0.8, as adding one would make your case 20/25, which works out to be 0.8 exactly.

Good point, and I think it should be considered that neutral rep isn't always the choice of the poster. For example, I got a very positive comment from someone who was moderated, but apparently they aren't allowed to give + or - rep, so it shows up as neutral.
Again: neutral rep does not count towards the ratio.

It never did. I designed the system to avoid this problem.

If you all want a simple formula on how to work out "how much positive I need"

this is assuming all negatives and positives are one, to keep things simple

Pos Rep needed = 9xNeg - Pos

as moo said, assuming you get nothing but positives and are all valued as 1. If more, you'll get there with less positives in theory.
Or, more simply... you need 9 positive rep for each negative one.
So, if you have one negative rep, you need 9 positive.
If you have to negative rep, you need 18 positive.
If you have three negative rep, you need 27 positive.
If you have four negative rep, you need 36 positive.
If you have five negative rep, you need 45 positive.
Etc.
Again, this assumes that you're getting +1s.
If, say, you had 3 negative reps, but 15 positive, you could use:
Twelve +1s (taking you to ((27 - 3)/30) = (23/30) = 0.8)
Two +2s (taking you to ((19-3)/20) = (16/20) = 0.8 )

Based on this formula, a +2 is roughly six times as powerful as a +1.
Perhaps I should reserve +2s for mods, or at least pay scorings +2 and higher, or -2 and lower, special attention when it comes to reviewing rep.

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I'd say paying special attention to those cases wouldn't be a bad idea, but I feel at the same time, that the people who have that power already use it sparingly and only in the most well deserved cases, plus what may be very important to the person giving out the rep may seem absolutely frivolous to whoever is reviewing the +2 or greater rep with such scrutiny.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
God I hate math >.> moo do we include the gray in the count.
Again: neutral (grey) reps do not count at all towards the ratio.

Also: I just went throughevery rep scoring that added 2 or more, or deducted 2 or more. Most of them were valid. The ones that weren't, were deleted. A fair few were reduced to +1s and -1s, accordingly.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i almost always give out +2 rep. i figure the fact that i've been given that ability means that my judgements about who deserves positive rep should be worth more. people who contribute good material to the site are in a better position to identify other people who are contributing good material. so why not use that power to its fullest extent? sorry if that sounds arrogant. i'm not taking it for granted that my judgments are worth more, i'm just deducing it from the fact that i'm able to give +2 points.

if you don't want to give VIPs the extra power of skewing the ratio, one solution might be to get the software to calculate +2 reps as though they're actually 2 points.

Role
Private
i almost always give out +2 rep. i figure the fact that i've been given that ability means that my judgements about who deserves positive rep should be worth more. people who contribute good material to the site are in a better position to identify other people who are contributing good material. so why not use that power to its fullest extent? sorry if that sounds arrogant. i'm not taking it for granted that my judgments are worth more, i'm just deducing it from the fact that i'm able to give +2 points.
Not arrogant at all. Usually when I give out rep now I give the 3 points.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I am curious about the power of negative reputation so that we are aware of the potential damage possible in the event someone decided to use such power. At this time, I hope this power is rarely used and do not intend to use such power myself.

Does negative -2 or lower have the inverse power of the higher positive reps?
Say, a user gets -2 instead of -1. Does this also have 6 times the effect? If so, should we be even more careful with lower levels of reputation given?

12 +1 reps
1 -2 rep
=0.769 ratio

12 +1 reps
2 -1 reps
=0.714 ratio

My math seems to indicate that one user giving one post -2 rep causes less harm than 2 users giving -1 rep. However, a post deserving negative rep will likely get multiple negative reputation from multiple users, thus using the -2 rep ability will just ruin the user's rep count faster.

From the previous posts, I understand how higher levels of reputation power should be used. What I do not know at this time is how lower (-2 or -3) should be used.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
My math seems to indicate that one user giving one post -2 rep causes less harm than 2 users giving -1 rep.
Correct.
Jeremiah said:
However, a post deserving negative rep will likely get multiple negative reputation from multiple users, thus using the -2 rep ability will just ruin the user's rep count faster.

From the previous posts, I understand how higher levels of reputation power should be used. What I do not know at this time is how lower (-2 or -3) should be used.
I'll likely wait a week or two, then review all rep given in the last two weeks, to make sure that rep is still being used constructively.

Status
Not open for further replies.