Video games you miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What are some Video Games you miss, or no longer enjoy if they are still around?

Theres a few games I used to play on Computer, the 1st that I miss that is no longer around was called Monster and Me

It was kind of like Pokemon but with a twist, the company managing the game allowed auto-leveling programs to help you easily raise the best monsters, but they wouldn't allow any outright "hacking" which would give you unfair advantages to other players (you could go around killing players, but it was kind of a jerk move as they were likely AFK per raising with an auto-program) ; allowing auto-programs for pet raising was great because otherwise it would take weeks or even months to just make 1 really good monster (the ultimate goal was a 50+ growth rate in the monsters final form) and it was something that kept me busy for a long time.

But the game wasnt well managed, it was often down for long periods of time, and I guess at the end they lost a bunch of dedicated players (because people would quit if they couldn't even log in due to server bugs) and eventually it got shut down.

I also enjoyed early MapleStory, but every time I go back I can only play for so long before it gets old and I stop playing again.

Take a look at dosbox and pcem. Thryc are free and I have both installed on my new pc. They let me play all of really old games I still have. That includes oregon trail, doom, fallout 1, and the list goes on.

Slomo said:
Take a look at dosbox and pcem. Thryc are free and I have both installed on my new pc. They let me play all of really old games I still have. That includes oregon trail, doom, fallout 1, and the list goes on.

Yeah, but you cant replay a game that never had a physical copy, when those servers go down you cant play the games anymore.

BabyTyrant said:
Yeah, but you cant replay a game that never had a physical copy, when those servers go down you cant play the games anymore.

Which is why it's so great all the old games always came on a cd. Nobody had or even heard of digiatal only copies back then. I try and get all my new games on dvd too, though that is getting increasingly difficult. Most times now I have to search for the manual install file and downoad it to a dvd (or recently usb drive). Either way, it IS still possible to get a physical copy.

Try wanting stuff that originally came on low-density 5.25" . . . .

Slomo said:
Which is why it's so great all the old games always came on a cd. Nobody had or even heard of digiatal only copies back then. I try and get all my new games on dvd too, though that is getting increasingly difficult. Most times now I have to search for the manual install file and downoad it to a dvd (or recently usb drive). Either way, it IS still possible to get a physical copy.

Yeah, but online MMORPG type games operate servers and you get the game updates online, when they decide to pull the plug those games are lost unless someone gets the data and decides to bring it back

BabyTyrant said:
Yeah, but online MMORPG type games operate servers and you get the game updates online, when they decide to pull the plug those games are lost unless someone gets the data and decides to bring it back

Yeah, I agree with that. It's part of why I learned to hate mmo's. That and more recently players who can spend 80+ hours each week on a game. They get so good and can constantly rip into me as I'm just starting out. I hate that kind of frustration, and I game specifically so I can relax and enjoy it casually, even if it can log 40 hours a week at it. That's just me though.

Borya said:
try https://www.myabandonware.com/

there are other sites outer there just search - most of it is legal.
The legality is actually pretty murky - none of the copyrights are even CLOSE to expiring, and someone still holds the rights to various games. Whether or not the holder KNOWS they have those rights is a very different question. Also, was mostly being a snarky twit - I can't think of more than two games that old I actually want to play again.

With a lot of old games, you can find them in one form or another if you hunt long enough. But it is often the online games that get missed when the servers shut down. This also include games playable offline but with a strong online component--though some get have come up with hacks and private servers.

I miss some of the old Dreamcast games like Alien Front Online that was certainly more fun with the online battles. Another was the Dreamcast--and later the Gamecube--version of Phantasy Star Online.

I miss games from 2005 to 2008 that's when they were fun I haven't found any fun games since then

none of the games from that era are fun anymore they change them so much

Shadows of the Empire, best game on the N64.

it's not a shutdown multiplayer MMO thing.... but.... I'm sad that Psi-Ops never got a sequel.
And now... Metal Gear is maybe dead...? Because Konami is a trash company that fired their best...
Oh.... Marvel Heroes was kinda fun. I miss that game.

I miss playing Halo. My old Xbox doesn't work anymore, and my tv already has all of its inputs covered with other systems. I can't afford to buy another Xbox with a library of games to support it. Plus I would need more space.

Maybe I should use my next paycheck to get my tablet fixed. I had games emulated on it, but I would need to find a new ROM site since the one I was using got shut down.

I usually do not look at this forum, but this title caught my attention.

I loved Flinty Flush and when my brother changed computers (before I had my own) I lost it and have not been able to find it.

BabyTyrant said:
I used to like playing WildStar when it was still playable, but it shut down in late 2018, so I can't play it now.

City of Heroes will probably always have been my favorite MMO. Marvel Heroes was a fun game too. I could seriously write a novel of good games I miss playing tbh. But those are up there as two of my most missed for sure.

Reactions: SnowBlitz
Innouva said:
City of Heroes will probably always have been my favorite MMO. Marvel Heroes was a fun game too. I could seriously write a novel of good games I miss playing tbh. But those are up there as two of my most missed for sure.
Aw man just hearing about City of Heroes brings back a flood of good memories :c

I also miss WildStar, simply it had the BEST PvE content in any MMORPG I've ever played. It truly catored to the hardcore, its a damn shame it was shutdown.

Reactions: ScriptedGamer
Gosh i remember playing so many shut down MMOs. My first was (still around) Anarchy Online and went on from there to beta test Earth and Beyond. I also played unique MMOs that died too early like Auto Assault and the aformentioned City of Heroes....oh lord i SERIOUSLY miss that game and it died WAY too early. I hate NCSoft with a burning passion for not allowing it to be remade

Reactions: ScriptedGamer
Myst.

Riven was a worthy sequel, but none of the other games in the franchise ever really held the magic or raw appeal of the original for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back