VHS Tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PearlPinkFloydJam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Does anyone still use them? If you do, are you an avid collector or just haven't gotten rid of the old collection yet?

For me, I do still use and pick up VHS tapes whenever I find a good deal on them. Thrift stores, rummage sales, and free piles tend to be the best places to collect them. I have about 2 shelves worth. Thinning it out as I pick up my favorites on DVD. I get some of the older movies on VHS so I can check it out and see if I want to buy it later on DVD.

Oh, and I have several VCR's. Never know when one will break. ;)

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
We have a vacation home to which all of our old, decrepit technology goes to die. While there, we have only VHS tapes to watch, NES and SNES games to play, and a wood-burning stove to heat the place. Well, actually, there's a furnace, but the stove is more fun -- like the old video game consoles. :)

Our VHS library consists mainly of Disney flicks for the kids, although we have a decent collection of Red Dwarf, Black Adder, and others of our favorite British sitcoms. And the THX Star Wars trilogy, and a few Star Treks. Ok, maybe it's not mostly Disney; there might be 50 or so tapes, all told. I haven't decided whether, when the VCR breaks, to buy a new VCR or to donate our tapes to the local thrift store. Probably the latter.

KiwiBoi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Actually, funny this came up. The other day I got bored with having all 30gb of my music so easily accessible, so I cranked some of my Dad's old tapes in his 80s boombox. Lennon, Brian Ferry, The Cure, Straightjacket Fits, Pink Floyd and some more. It was great, I haven't listened to a tape in so long. There's something different about the sound in analog form.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Yes, I continue to watch and buy VHS tapes, mainly of animated movies.

M

Maxx

Mostly this:

... just haven't gotten rid of the old collection yet?

I've still got quite a hoard, and a couple of working players. Haven't really watched anything in quite a while though. Important stuff, like home video of the kids and grandkids when they were small have been converted to DVD. I'm bit by bit tossing stuff that isn't important, like old series and movies that are available on Netflix. My wife's Disney collection is radioactive, especially now with the new baby granddaughter. If I were to toss one of those, death would be too good for me.

- - - Updated - - -

We have a vacation home to which all of our old, decrepit technology goes to die. While there, we have only VHS tapes to watch, NES and SNES games to play, and a wood-burning stove to heat the place. Well, actually, there's a furnace, but the stove is more fun -- like the old video game consoles. :)

Love the mental image here.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Yes I do have and still watch VHS tapes. It's a matter of $$$ that it would take to replace them or have them converted to DVD. I also have and have taught my son how to play with my old Atari. I just will not tell him about the amount of gin I drank to get so good at Asteroids.

M

Maxx

It's a matter of $$$ that it would take to replace them or have them converted to DVD.

Not so much, actually. I got a dvd recorder for maybe $100 and did it myself. It doesn't work for purchased, copy protected movies. Works just fine for home recordings, which the bulk of mine were/are.

Didn't get the DVD recorder just for that. I was also using it as a TV tuner since it had a digital tuner and I was still using CRT sets with analog tuners at the time. I've since acquired flat screen sets with digital tuners.

BebbyDoll

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
When I moved from home I couldn't take it with me... Moving countries and all had to be picky about what came with me. Still have my VCR/DVD player that I got when I was around 12 or 13. Was replacing some of the VHS with DVDs because of stopped working or other reasons but there's a few that I still have just VHS, mostly disney stuff but others as well, Pocahontas, the live jungle book one, kiki's delivery service, etc
I like the convenience of DVDs but hearing a tape rewind is complete nostalgia haha
Also have my cassettes that a recorded other friends tapes, or CDs from and a have a bunch that I made from my mom's records too like Scott bao who played chachi on happy days. A lot lf the other mixes I made from NOW CDs because I usually only liked a few songs on each.
This goes right along with my thoughts lately because I'm going to get to go home for a week this summer :) haven't been there in a year and a half. Pretty excited.

ClandestineWing

Gomamon Supreme(ly diapered)
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I still have my vast Disney collection of VHS tapes from long ago. I still have my VCR hooked up too, so I'm tempted to pop a tape in it to get some nostalgia... But I'm tempted more by getting that gorgeous 1080p straight from my Xbox. :p

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
still got a Sony VCR and loads of tapes which i never watch. the intention is to convert some of the rarer/better stuff onto DVD, but i can never be bothered.

Calico

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I have a bunch of VHS tapes and we still have some packed away in Montana and I have a bunch here in the cupboard and have some up in our attic. I have two VCRs, one is out in the garage and the other is in the basement. You never know when one will break. Do they still even make them? I have to check next time I go to the store rather it's Wal Mart or Fred Meyer or Best Buy.

JazzBaby

Just Another Diapered Brony
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
My family's house only has one working VCR which is in my parents' room. We still have a lot of VHS movies or recorded VHS tapes with shows or movies on them. I know we got rid of a few of the recorded ones recently. A lot of the movies are Disney along with Star Wars and others. The last VHS movie I bought was several years ago at a flea market. It was The Lost World: Jurassic Park, which I still haven't touched it since I got it.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Yes I do have and still watch VHS tapes. It's a matter of $$$ that it would take to replace them or have them converted to DVD. I also have and have taught my son how to play with my old Atari. I just will not tell him about the amount of gin I drank to get so good at Asteroids.

Back in the day, I took Asteroids all the way to the end and won it. I have a bunch of old VHS tapes, and probably nothing to watch them on. I've upgraded some of them with DVD and Blueray.

BoundCoder

nnember
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
  3. Private
Couple of years ago I ripped all my media. This mostly consisted of my fairly large DVD collection, but also a handful of VHS tapes (mostly things I had recorded myself, but a few movies which just never made it to DVD).

It was tedious, but one thing I actually enjoyed was watching the old commercials captured on the VHS tapes. Some of them brought back a lot of memories.

Here in Canada they used to have these segments called "heritage moments" which were basically short videos of important bits of Canadian history. Even as kids most people recognized how cheesy they were, and they ran them _constantly_ to the point where most people in this country my age can recite them from memory if asked ("burnt toast, I smell burnt toast!"). I had somehow completely forgotten about them. Needless to say when I ran into one while ripping an old recording I went on like a 2 hour youtube trip (they are all there if anyone wants to take that trip down memory lane).

S

Starrunner

I replaced my whole system five years ago with a great HD TV and a really cool blu ray player. I kept my DVD's since they were compatible with the system but I ditched my VHS tapes and recorder. There wasn't much worth keeping.

Butterscotch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
lol what are those? i've heard tell of them in my history class ROTFL

A

acorn

lol what are those? i've heard tell of them in my history class ROTFL
Yeah right! A typical teenage yob trying to put it up to us mature members? A scratched record CD indeed! :laugh:

As much as I'd like to say I've given up on that old technology, I still have a pristine VCR and worse again also have a working silent 8mm projector. I'm so hip, I'm really with it, man. LOL or whatever. :rolleyes:

My favourite tape. Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Carer
I still use VHS tapes as I've a ton of sports events, movies and stuff I have taped over the years because I had no idea that DVD was on it's way and that you could get a whole season of shows. I used to tape shows like CHiPs, China Beach, M*A*S*H, The Simpsons and others. I also have all original episodes of Classic Star Trek as well as the movies on VHS too- courtesy of my aunt and others.

You're not alone! Not sure why but I do like my VHS- plus I think it's also cause I remember the Beta/VHS format war in which VHS won and I also rememember when the VCR was the item to get!

WildThing121675

incontinentGM24

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I am a nostalgia buff. I can spend hours on YouTube watching People's old VHS tapes. All the commercials, old newscasts, old sports, I love them all. That said, I have not seen a VHS tape in about five or six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.