Urodynamics exam- what to expect and how to be brave?

I’m slowly getting the hang of this. @Diaperman95 really helped me shift my perspective. I had two 90 minute meetings today and I used my diaper a little bit but took a bathroom break in between.

Even though I felt lazy, I know I’m not letting out a lot and I am still able to participate in everyday activities.

I have another class this weekend and I only get a break every two hours so I may have to use my diaper a little more but I am slowly figuring out how to do this. All it takes is a different way of looking at diapers and how we were programmed when we were toilet trained.

Angelapinks said:
Yes I hear you, I get embarrassed while getting dressed and seeing myself in the mirror but I am a lot older than you and have been putting up with this for a few years now. I don't know if I will ever get over the fact that I am back in diapers again and there is no alternative. I cannot attend the theater or films anymore because I cannot sit through a performance without going out or going in my diaper and then I feel everyone around knows what I have done. Even on shorter drives of an hour or less I am straining to find the next stop for some relief. I guess this is our new way of life but it is not easy getting used to it.
No one but you can tell if you have a good diaper and keep them changed. These new diapers now a days are So So So MUCH better than ever before. I can make it through a movie easy. Not to mention the lights are off most the time and everyone is more into the show than my ass. I have more trust in my diapers than ever before so I just go when I need to. Running to the restroom every 15 minutes will draw even more attention.

Hang on strong! Things will get better. Finding the right diaper that you really trust is key. Our prospective about diapers changes wen you have no choice. But please do not let it rob you of a good life. I am not sure your age but I am 46 and have used them my entire adult life. I have zero regrets. I just spent 4 1/2 hours bowling with my wife and a friend in a busy bowling alley and no one is the wiser. I go out there 5 to 6 times a week. I am kind of like Norm on cheers. People know I am going to be there and I visit with everyone. I almost always wear a Mega Max and no one ever says anything. Most the time it is a pink one too. LOL No clue why I like the pink but I just do.

• Love
Reactions: Pino and Angelapinks
Anonymous said:
I never wanted to be the guy in a wheelchair who is 4-5 years old physically. There’s something about proving other people wrong that is appealing to me for some reason, even if it gets me in trouble a lot.

I don't know how to answer the question since I have not done this my self yet, although depending how the urologist goes I may be asking similar questions later. I will say this I have a close friend who has cerebral palsy and it mostly affects how he walks. He used to be basically wheelchair bound but has gone through a lot just to walk. here is the kicker, as some of you may already know I ride bulls in rodeo. My friend with cerebral palsy is one I met through riding bulls. he loves the sport as much as I and although he can't ride on some of the same stock I get on due to his condition, he never let cerebral palsy get in the way of his dreams. he impresses me every time he gets on and dreams of going all the way to the NFR. I have faith he can do it cause there is no one I know with as much try as him. He feels just like you in the way that he wants to prove to people that anything is possible with enough faith and patience.

keep your head high,
The Diapered Cowboy!

Reactions: CheshireCat and Diaperman95
Diaperman95 said:
No one but you can tell if you have a good diaper and keep them changed. These new diapers now a days are So So So MUCH better than ever before. I can make it through a movie easy. Not to mention the lights are off most the time and everyone is more into the show than my ass. I have more trust in my diapers than ever before so I just go when I need to. Running to the restroom every 15 minutes will draw even more attention.

Hang on strong! Things will get better. Finding the right diaper that you really trust is key. Our prospective about diapers changes wen you have no choice. But please do not let it rob you of a good life. I am not sure your age but I am 46 and have used them my entire adult life. I have zero regrets. I just spent 4 1/2 hours bowling with my wife and a friend in a busy bowling alley and no one is the wiser. I go out there 5 to 6 times a week. I am kind of like Norm on cheers. People know I am going to be there and I visit with everyone. I almost always wear a Mega Max and no one ever says anything. Most the time it is a pink one too. LOL No clue why I like the pink but I just do.
Not tried mega Max yet and pink is my favourite colour also. I still get self contious about showing a bulging backside even when only wearing a pull up but I may get used to it one day. I have been wearing panties my whole life and never bothered about VPN visible panty lines or even showing a pink frilly waistband but the diaper seems to be just too far out there right now. Maybe the longer I have to wear them the more it will just settle down.

Angelapinks said:
Not tried mega Max yet and pink is my favourite colour also. I still get self contious about showing a bulging backside even when only wearing a pull up but I may get used to it one day. I have been wearing panties my whole life and never bothered about VPN visible panty lines or even showing a pink frilly waistband but the diaper seems to be just too far out there right now. Maybe the longer I have to wear them the more it will just settle down.
Mega Max is a game changer diaper. I wear jeans that are a few sizes big and a elastic stretch belt. Then I wear a shirt a bit big too and leave it untucked. I took me years to get to the confidence to just live my life. I mean I think about it sometimes if I am noticeable or not. That is just nature because people are judgmental. But a lot of that is from bad self-esteem from my youth. The fact is most adults have better things to worry about my underwear. Teenagers can be assholes.

It is funny because I really do not like pink in anyway shape or form. But it is just a real soft pink and it reminds me of some medical diapers from the past.

Also sometimes a full diaper is less noticeable than say a pull up. Because the padding extends around the hips and it looks like I have a bigger butt but a pull up often you can see the shape of the absorbent pad because they lay so flat on the hips and butt cheeks but you can see a out line of the pad. So even though the diaper is bigger it hides the outline better. But most of the time pullups just don't cut it for me unless I change them very frequently. That is why I love Mega Max. Plus the stay on very snug and do not ever sag even when wet.

If you go to North Shores website they will ship you some free samples too. In fact I just got my samples of the cloth back Mega max today. I am going to try one of those tomorrow.

It is a tough life to go through life and not be able to hold your bladder. If you keep having to wear you will notice your confidence go up until one day you just realize it is no big deal and any sane person with the same issue would do the same thing. If I can ever help you in anyway let me know.

Reactions: OnePiece, Pino and Angelapinks
Anonymous said:
So I tried going to the urology lab but my legs were too happy...
Great comment and great perspective about living with CP. Now you have a happy bladder!

Reactions: Diaperman95
Anonymous said:
Thank you guys for all your input! I bought the Abena pull-u diapers and they seem more comfortable and it has a wetness indicator which is helpful so thank you for the recommendation.

I just have one last question as I’m new to this and I’m still learning:

How do you guys not make your life revolve around the bathroom? I’m noticing that I’m taking a lot of bathroom breaks because I feel this weird sensation where I’m aware that I have to go to the bathroom but the signal is not strong enough for me to empty it. This leads to me taking breaks from my virtual class (I want to be a counselor) often and sometimes not having any success at emptying it. I’m wondering how I can stay in class for longer periods of time because this will also apply to work as well
Hi @Anonymous

I’ve been reading through your posts - sorry to hear you’re struggling. I can relate to your fears a lot because I was in that place a few years ago. I’ve been in diapers my whole adult life due to chronic illness & nerve damage, and it was really rough when I was younger, as no-one understood what was going on, even doctors. These days it doesn’t bother me as much - and the reason why is because I started wearing thicker diapers to manage it. Now I don’t have to worry so much if my bladder freaks out on me.

Like you, I used to be very self-conscious if anyone saw my diaper waistband and there were times I looked in the mirror and thought I had failed. But with time and counselling, I realised a diaper is just underwear - and why it may look a bit bulky or embarrassing, it’s far more discreet than wet pants. So these days I’m not worried if anyone sees my diaper waistband - better that than the alternative. After switching to thicker diapers 4 years ago, I can say with confidence that they haven’t held me back - if anything they’ve taken me forward - as I don’t have to worry about where the nearest bathroom is 24/7.

It may feel daunting, but I’d recommend you try wearing a medical tape-on diaper during the day - at least when you’re working. That way you won’t have to worry about planning everything around bathroom breaks - because you’re wearing it. It does take getting used to at first, but diapers really do make the problem much easier to manage.

I’ve seen you’ve posted elsewhere that you have CP - unfortunately incontinence is often a side effect of neurological disorders, disabilities and chronic illnesses. What I’m trying to say is, you’re not the only young person who needs to wear diapers. And with the right kind of diapers it’s much easier.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: CheshireCat
Dinotopian2002 said:
Hi @Anonymous

I’ve been reading through your posts - sorry to hear you’re struggling. I can relate to your fears a lot because I was in that place a few years ago. I’ve been in diapers my whole adult life due to chronic illness & nerve damage, and it was really rough when I was younger, as no-one understood what was going on, even doctors. These days it doesn’t bother me as much - and the reason why is because I started wearing thicker diapers to manage it. Now I don’t have to worry so much if my bladder freaks out on me.

Like you, I used to be very self-conscious if anyone saw my diaper waistband and there were times I looked in the mirror and thought I had failed. But with time and counselling, I realised a diaper is just underwear - and why it may look a bit bulky or embarrassing, it’s far more discreet than wet pants. So these days I’m not worried if anyone sees my diaper waistband - better that than the alternative. After switching to thicker diapers 4 years ago, I can say with confidence that they haven’t held me back - if anything they’ve taken me forward - as I don’t have to worry about where the nearest bathroom is 24/7.

It may feel daunting, but I’d recommend you try wearing a medical tape-on diaper during the day - at least when you’re working. That way you won’t have to worry about planning everything around bathroom breaks - because you’re wearing it. It does take getting used to at first, but diapers really do make the problem much easier to manage.

I’ve seen you’ve posted elsewhere that you have CP - unfortunately incontinence is often a side effect of neurological disorders, disabilities and chronic illnesses. What I’m trying to say is, you’re not the only young person who needs to wear diapers. And with the right kind of diapers it’s much easier.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002
Use a premium diaper that you KNOW you can trust is the only way not to let the restroom rule your life.

I have my Urodynamics next week, I have have been informed to show up to the appointment with a full bladder. I have OBD and I’m currently on meds, not sure what the point of the test is, for example what’s next…. Surgery? I’m getting very worried about the embarrassment factor. Some people say the nurse forces voiding at some point, is that true?

jjpadded said:
I have my Urodynamics next week, I have have been informed to show up to the appointment with a full bladder. I have OBD and I’m currently on meds, not sure what the point of the test is, for example what’s next…. Surgery? I’m getting very worried about the embarrassment factor. Some people say the nurse forces voiding at some point, is that true?
I have done this and was wearing a pull-up to the appointment, trying to time the full bladder occurrence. Not risking wet pants.
The point of the test is to check how your bladder is behaving when filling and emptying.
The results give an indication to what is the problem, if any.
Are your meds for your IC?

Surgery is probably not the next step, botox more likely. Or other meds.
My experience is they will try a lot of things before having you staying in diapers permanently.
But remember, YOU decide, it's YOUR body. Don't let them do something that you're not comfortable with.
Also, ask questions and get information.

I don't think there will be forced voiding, that will happen naturally, but you will void during the test.

As for embarrassment, yes, there will probably be more than just a little.
I had a doc and a young nurse handling my gear and inserting a catheter, wearing only a plastic skirt. Yes, that was embarrassing,
but they are used to this, it's their job.

Reactions: Pino, jjpadded and Angelapinks
OnePiece said:
I have done this and was wearing a pull-up to the appointment, trying to time the full bladder occurrence. Not risking wet pants.
The point of the test is to check how your bladder is behaving when filling and emptying.
The results give an indication to what is the problem, if any.
Are your meds for your IC?

Surgery is probably not the next step, botox more likely. Or other meds.
My experience is they will try a lot of things before having you staying in diapers permanently.
But remember, YOU decide, it's YOUR body. Don't let them do something that you're not comfortable with.
Also, ask questions and get information.

I don't think there will be forced voiding, that will happen naturally, but you will void during the test.

As for embarrassment, yes, there will probably be more than just a little.
I had a doc and a young nurse handling my gear and inserting a catheter, wearing only a plastic skirt. Yes, that was embarrassing,
but they are used to this, it's their job.
Thanks for the information, I’m on Mirabegron

Back